PDA

View Full Version : Emirates A380 abandoned take-off today at BHX

Argonautical
8th Aug 2018, 16:27
Went to Birmingham this afternoon for a bit of spotting and the saw something unusual. The afternoon's Emirates A380 had got take-off clearance for runway 15. He stated his roll but didn't accelerate at all and then turned off the runway using taxiway B. He then turned left on the taxiway (right would have taken him back to the terminal) and waited again at point A3 as if he was going to line up again for runway 15. I don't know if he got eventually got off because I left in a hurry because the heavens opened. Anybody know the background to this? Thanks.

GusHoneybun
8th Aug 2018, 18:33
I think you answered your own query.

I don't know if he got eventually got off because I left in a hurry because the heavens opened

Lined up, WX radar ON. Did not like the big CB on climb out. Decided to wait till it moved.

Argonautical
8th Aug 2018, 18:49
Thanks, it didn't seem to bother the little guys though, a 737 and 320 departed while it was waiting.

DaveReidUK
8th Aug 2018, 19:03
Airborne at 15:00 local, according to FR24, 15 minutes after the initial roll.

Hotel Tango
8th Aug 2018, 20:32
Can be as simple as some warning indication which needs to be checked out. Meanwhile they vacate until ready again.

DaveReidUK
9th Aug 2018, 11:42
Or possibly cabin not secure when lined up, with another lander on approach.

NXDriver
9th Aug 2018, 13:06
Or possibly cabin not secure when lined up, with another lander on approach.

Hi, first time poster but been reading the forums for a while.
What constitutes a 'secure cabin'. I'm assuming its an OK to go given by the cabin crew that all is well, everyone strapped in and in order? Is it often given that late in the taxi?
Thanks

wiggy
9th Aug 2018, 15:37
it didn't seem to bother the little guys though, a 737 and 320 departed while it was waiting.

If the Thunderstorm/Cb was the issue:

1. The “little guys” may have had a different route of flight with an early turn away from the weather,

more importantly..

2. Command course 101.. you make your own decision based on your own judgement..you shouldn’t assume it is OK to do something because somebody else did it...

anyhow...do we know what actually happened?

MATELO
9th Aug 2018, 17:33
If the Thunderstorm/Cb was the issue:

1. The “little guys” may have had a different route of flight with an early turn away from the weather,

more importantly..

2. Command course 101.. you make your own decision based on your own judgement..you shouldn’t assume it is OK to do something because somebody else did it...

anyhow...do we know what actually happened?

a timely link....

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/611445-shamrock-a330-new-york-tracon-run.html

rennie911
19th Aug 2018, 20:35
Had a technical problem, then went for another go after he fixed it.
Luckily the Lufthansa on final was far enough out that he could land.
Was originally planning to return to stand but didn't need to in the end. Luckily.

student88
4th Sep 2018, 22:23
I think you answered your own query.

Lined up, WX radar ON. Did not like the big CB on climb out. Decided to wait till it moved.

Pure speculation there.