PDA

View Full Version : Setting up cockpit for runway heading clr in a turbojet

joethechinesepilot
6th Aug 2018, 17:27
I instruct cadets in asia. I m trying to teach them how to set up cockpit for this non standard clr.
1 - dont leave the SID in FMC
2 - check ur flight plan and choose the waypoint to be expected a) the ttansition fix b) 1st fix on your airway
3- set a VOR in standby nav for dme or active
4- set OBS on master control panel ( ref 737)

sadly 90% of the pilots in the country im in have never done it , dont do it and have no clue why to do it .

comment please . Its done wverywhere ive been
usa china india

dook
6th Aug 2018, 18:12
What is a "ur flight plan" please ?

172_driver
6th Aug 2018, 21:06
1. Doesn't matter if an SID is loaded or not. Just fly HDG SEL and avoid following the magenta track.
2. Yes, you can select the first expected enroute fix on top on LEGS page 1.

1 and 2 is just about "tidiness" in the FMC

3. Yes an active VOR and/or DME is a good idea for situation awareness.
4. It's Mode Control Panel (MCP) and I think you're talking about the Course Selector. I have it prepared for a return to the departure field normally.

joethechinesepilot
7th Aug 2018, 00:07
1. Doesn't matter if an SID is loaded or not. Just fly HDG SEL and avoid following the magenta track.
2. Yes, you can select the first expected enroute fix on top on LEGS page 1.

1 and 2 is just about "tidiness" in the FMC

3. Yes an active VOR and/or DME is a good idea for situation awareness.
4. It's Mode Control Panel (MCP) and I think you're talking about the Course Selector. I have it prepared for a return to the departure field normally.
thx for the reply. Track miles are affected if you dont remove the SID , especially a long downwind departure . I think its good CRM to have a magenta course line as the same line of the airway. The PF can easily see their on course track when given the vector to intercept or direct to waypoint .

papazulu
22nd Aug 2018, 18:07
1 - dont leave the SID in FMC

Why not? What's the big deal to leave it in and command a nav-mode (i.e. PULL HDG on the AB) change to the PM?

PZ :confused:

clivewatson
27th Aug 2018, 16:57
Use HDG for the departure. Leave the SID loaded in the FMS in preparation for a "direct to" any point on the SID or planned route. Set NAV frequencies/OBS/DME for emergency return or terrain awareness.