PDA

View Full Version : Condor Airlines EU 261 compensation?

Mark in CA
6th Aug 2018, 14:34
Am helping an elderly couple with their claim for delay compensation from Condor Airlines (part of Thomas Cook) after their trans-Atlantic flight experienced multiple, serial mechanical issues at US departure airport, resulting in missed connection at FRA and 5+ hour late arrival at EU destination airport. Would seem like a slam dunk case. Filed claim with airline July 22, 2018.

How long should I expect to wait to receive the airline's determination? Anyone have experience dealing with Condor Airlines? As this airline is based in Germany, would that be where I'd go for my Plan-B appeal?

zed3
6th Aug 2018, 18:21
We used Condor for trips to friends in the US annually when we lived in NL. In 2012, before moving back to the UK, we were delayed flying back from LAS. Departure time from what I can remember was around 1630. We were all bussed to hotels for an overnight and given vouchers for food. Next day we departed around noon-ish for FRA. The reason was bad weather in FRA and it was bad as we discovered travelling back to DUS and NL.
We never claimed as we were accommodated reasonably. Nowadays, I claim if I can. I would think a two month window to see if they are going to payout is reasonable. They were good to fly with, albeit with our several Comfort Class experiences.
We recently had cancelled long haul flights, also weather problems, with KLM and they paid up within two months.

Hotel Tango
6th Aug 2018, 18:27
If the tech issue was totally unforeseen does EU261 apply?

rog747
7th Aug 2018, 12:57
If the tech issue was totally unforeseen does EU261 apply?

yes all operational (such as crewing, or no crew) and tech delays except safety critical tech ones (such as an AD or a grounding for instance which are deemed exceptional)

weather strike and ATC delays = no pay out but airline must feed and hotac you if ness then rebook you ASAP or reroute you, even on another carrier if ness to get you to your destination in a reasonable time

rog747
7th Aug 2018, 13:21
Am helping an elderly couple with their claim for delay compensation from Condor Airlines (part of Thomas Cook) after their trans-Atlantic flight experienced multiple, serial mechanical issues at US departure airport, resulting in missed connection at FRA and 5+ hour late arrival at EU destination airport. Would seem like a slam dunk case. Filed claim with airline July 22, 2018.

How long should I expect to wait to receive the airline's determination? Anyone have experience dealing with Condor Airlines? As this airline is based in Germany, would that be where I'd go for my Plan-B appeal?

yes part of thomas cook - a reasonable airline and you should expect the EU compensation for this 5 hour delay on arrival at final destination (as long as this was on on through ticket)
If the journey was not on a through ticket then the delay on arrival at FRA is likely the deciding factor here - has to be 3 hours or more to qualify for compo
the airline should have also fed them during the delays and the misconnex - if not keep receipts and claim any food and drink expenses

Don't make it too complicated.
All you need to do is to claim the EUR 600 + provide your bank account details + give them a reasonable deadline (14 days should suffice) + have a proof that Condor received your email (if Condor issues an auto-reply then you'll have your proof).
After the 14 days have passed you can straight go to court (first a Mahnbescheid or a EC261 collection agency who will take a commission).

Mark in CA
8th Aug 2018, 06:20
We used Condor for trips to friends in the US annually when we lived in NL. In 2012, before moving back to the UK, we were delayed flying back from LAS. Departure time from what I can remember was around 1630. We were all bussed to hotels for an overnight and given vouchers for food. Next day we departed around noon-ish for FRA. The reason was bad weather in FRA and it was bad as we discovered travelling back to DUS and NL.
We never claimed as we were accommodated reasonably. Nowadays, I claim if I can. I would think a two month window to see if they are going to payout is reasonable. They were good to fly with, albeit with our several Comfort Class experiences.
We recently had cancelled long haul flights, also weather problems, with KLM and they paid up within two months.
Delay due to weather does not qualify for delay compensation. In my friends' case, it was purefly mechanical; fuel-related, as I recall.

Mark in CA
8th Aug 2018, 06:24
yes part of thomas cook - a reasonable airline and you should expect the EU compensation for this 5 hour delay on arrival at final destination (as long as this was on on through ticket)
If the journey was not on a through ticket then the delay on arrival at FRA is likely the deciding factor here - has to be 3 hours or more to qualify for compo
the airline should have also fed them during the delays and the misconnex - if not keep receipts and claim any food and drink expenses

Don't make it too complicated.
All you need to do is to claim the EUR 600 + provide your bank account details + give them a reasonable deadline (14 days should suffice) + have a proof that Condor received your email (if Condor issues an auto-reply then you'll have your proof).
After the 14 days have passed you can straight go to court (first a Mahnbescheid or a EC261 collection agency who will take a commission).
Yes, they were through tickets, and we did get an acknowledgement of complaint receipt. I am hoping to keep it simple and have Condor say yes, we will compensate, please provide bank details for payment. But it's usually a good idea to plan for the worst and hope for the best. ;)

Mark in CA
6th Sep 2018, 12:38
It's now been more than six weeks since I received the acknowledgement from Condor of the request for compensation. AFAIK, the passengers have not heard from the airline (their email address is on the form).

Next steps? Enquire with Condor? Escalate to German officials?

RevMan2
6th Sep 2018, 15:29
Escalate to
Ralf Teckentrup
CEO
Condor Flugdienst GmbH.
Condor Platz
60549 Frankfurt am Main
Germany

via registered mail.
Document your claim, point out the 6 week delay, politely ask him to have someone investigate and action

RevMan2
6th Sep 2018, 15:32
Email address is probably [email protected].
Try that first

edi_local
6th Sep 2018, 18:22
Not sure many CEOs have the time nor desire to be dealing with EU261 claims. It'll just sit in his office until a secretary reads it and sends it back to the relevant department.

I honestly wouldn't waste any more time sending something to the CEO. Go to the relevant authority or ombudsman equivalent in Germany and raise the claim that way. It has clearly gone on long enough to escalate it beyond the airline.

RevMan2
7th Sep 2018, 04:39
CEOs certainly have the desire to deal with 261s, but they’ll deal with it when confronted. It works.

Mark in CA
12th Sep 2018, 18:24
I'll try writing to the CEO. I'm a writer, so it's easy for me. ;) Thanks, RevMan2, for the info. I'll try the email route. Need to contact the passengers first to confirm.