PDA

View Full Version : Setting up cockpit for runway heading clr

joethechinesepilot
6th Aug 2018, 13:24
Im trying to teach a cadet about airmanship
i told her find 1st point on your airway out , set OBS to transition course , set a VOR freq on nav 1 . Fix the FMC

im flying in asia and many captains dont do this
they leave the sid in and do nothing ..

comments please .

Vessbot
6th Aug 2018, 14:10
I guess it depends on the avionics. In my airplane we leave the SID in and do nothing, because there's nothing else you can meaningfully do. 999 times out of 1000, after takeoff we receive "direct to" somewhere, where your procedure wouldn't help. The other 1 time, well, the course is already in the FMS. So you set it to fly the course with the same number of button pushes as the "direct to" scenario. Having the navigation switched to VOR mode (where later you'll have to switch to FMS mode) presents no advantage.

BluSdUp
6th Aug 2018, 14:46
Sid and star these days are so meaningless that I could hardly be bothered, but make sure I start of on the correct one with the correct altitude selected for the first leveloff.
I honestly can not remember the last time I flew one to completion as published.
Can You!?

Vessbot
6th Aug 2018, 15:02
Routinely. Atlanta and Cincinnati come to mind quickly.

BluSdUp
6th Aug 2018, 15:15
Europe only for me so I would not know.
I bet they are practical and logical as opposed to some here in Europe.

parabellum
10th Aug 2018, 07:24
Just bear in mind the radio failure after take-off and before radar identified, having the SID in the machine could help if you haven't received any other clearance beforehand. Helps to be familiar with variations in radio failure procedure in different AT environments.