PDA

View Full Version : Happy 100th from 25% of the population

NutLoose
6th Aug 2018, 12:52
The rest simply are unaware.. sad reading

https://www.forces.net/radio/three-quarters-british-public-do-not-know-raf-100

Under-25s also showed a significant lack of knowledge of the RAF.40% of them didn't know that the Battle of Britain was won by the Air Force in WWII, and 57% of people in this age group had never even seen a warplane.

Forces Network has also launched a new DVD, '100 Years of the RAF' to help the British public learn more about the history of the Royal Air Force.

The cover makes one think that in the 100 years the RAF consisted of Lancasters with a fixed gear, Spits and Harriers..

Davef68
6th Aug 2018, 13:20
Knowledge of famous warplanes used by the RAF over the last century was also low, with only 43% of Brits able to identify the Lightning as a WW2 plane.

???? I presume they are not talking about the P-38

Danny42C
6th Aug 2018, 13:48
Nutloose (#1) and Davef68 (#2),

Sic transit gloria mundi ! But it was a long time go. As far back as for me (aged 20) was the Crimean War - but we all knew about The Charge of the Light Brigade !

Yup - it'd be the P-38 Lightning ("Look to Lockheed for Leadership")

MPN11
6th Aug 2018, 13:53
Ah, Danny42C, I had a school summer history project to complete on the Crimean War! Much time in the Public Library about 500 yards away, and the submission was full of hand-drawn coloured maps!! I guess it’s all too ancient now, and filed under the same heading as the Roman Empire!

MPN11
6th Aug 2018, 13:54
???? I presume they are not talking about the P-38
Perhaps they preferred the English Electric one? Did that participate in WW2? I can’t remember!

PPRuNeUser0139
6th Aug 2018, 13:56
"How d'you expect me to know that? It was before I was born!"
As one former colleague (with an MSc) an an unnamed Govt research establishment once exclaimed when I asked her when D-Day was.:ugh:

Danny42C
6th Aug 2018, 14:24
sidevalve (#6),

Totally irrelevant - but it cast my mind back to new NAAFI van girl we had at Strubby ca 1956. Without a care for aircraft movement areas, signs or caravan red lights, she had created alarm and despondency in a Meteor on short finals (and heart failure in ATC).

Duly arraigned before SATCO, and given a good talking-to, she was asked : "Any Questions ?" "Yes", quoth she in an aggrieved tone, "Do I have to know all this for three pounds a week ?"

("Collapse of Stout SATCO" - as "Punch" might've said).

FantomZorbin
6th Aug 2018, 15:09
Her brother cut the grass at Finningley … :ugh:

Pontius Navigator
6th Aug 2018, 15:49
The First World War was 'real' 40 years on thanks to a collection of London Illustrated News in the school san. The second WW through the medium of paperback accounts such as Colditz etc.

With instant media satisfying the thirst for knowledge paperbacks of more modern conflicts are late to the party and often not written as the participants are still serving.

Heathrow Harry
6th Aug 2018, 15:55
I'm always suspicious of these "polls" - if you offered them a quid for every right answer I think you'd get very different results

It's too much fun to wind up the interviewer when there is nothing at stake......................

Davef68
6th Aug 2018, 15:57
Nutloose (#1) and Davef68 (#2),

Sic transit gloria mundi ! But it was a long time go. As far back as for me (aged 20) was the Crimean War - but we all knew about The Charge of the Light Brigade !

You are the same age as my father-in-law (He had his family later in life). My teenage kids find it amazing that Grandpa was born so close to the First World War

Pontius Navigator
6th Aug 2018, 17:15
You also have to wonder about the people who are daft enough to read them without questioning the results.
That would be Nutty then?😀

Much more diverting criticizing them.