View Full Version : Interesting innovation in aviation education?

tail wheel
2nd Aug 2018, 22:23
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/aviation/aviation-high-helps-students-get-headstart-in-soaring-airline-sector/news-story/1d86fc2573d170a94d0ddf8abc893323

tail wheel
2nd Aug 2018, 22:25
Aviation High helps students get headstart in soaring airline sectorWith airlines the world over *expected to recruit more than 635,000 pilots in the next 20 years, Aviation High in Brisbane is something of a trailblazer.

The former Hendra State High School on the outskirts of the Brisbane Airport precinct has been *operating since 2007 as a training ground for students wanting to pursue aviation careers.In that time, the school steadily has acquired world-class *facilities including the largest flight simulator in Australia, capable of serving 24 students.Just this week the school took delivery of a working Cessna 150 from the Australian Aviation Heritage Centre and PK Aviation.

As a state government-run school, students do not pay to *attend but they are required to foot the bill of practical flying experience for their recreational and private pilot’s licences.Principal David Munn said more than three-quarters of the 460 students participated in aviation and/or aerospace subjects.“The school curriculum has been significantly influenced and supported by the aerospace and aviation industries,” he said. “Qantas, Virgin Australia and Boeing Australia were involved from the start, helping in the planning and equipment selection to ensure a facility that provides training *opportunities closely aligned with industry skill requirements.”

Among the opportunities for senior students are an aerospace studies course focused on industrial skills involved in aviation *design and development pro*cesses; a certificate 3 in aviation *(remote line of sight) that allows students to directly enter the *remotely piloted aircraft systems sector as a pilot; a certificate 3 in aviation (ground operations); and a certificate 2 in aircraft line maintenance, providing a basic understanding of aircraft maintenance.

Mr Munn said junior students were encouraged to develop aviation interest and skills with various clubs, subjects and extra-curricular activities.“This includes a modified curriculum and introductory aviation subjects relating to robotics and coding, rocketry and flying club,” he said.

Paul Strike of PK Aviation said the Cessna 150 donated to the school would help student learn about an aircraft’s engine and *operational instrumentation.“This excess stock of the Australian Aviation Heritage Centre is a fantastic learning tool for students, whether they want to be a pilot, aircraft mechanic or future aeronautical engineer,” he said.

School captain Grace Alberti said she changed schools to pursue her dream of becoming a commercial pilot. “The doors that have opened for me at Aviation High have *allowed me the opportunities to be among the industry I want to work in, in the future,” she said.“Through the school I have been able to do work experience with Qantas and mock interviews with Virgin to get feedback on our skills.”

Vice-captain Heramb Kramawant chose Aviation High for its variety of subjects. “I hope to further my studies at university focusing on math*ematics while working in the aviation industry in customer service,” he said. “I like the fact it’s a boutique school with a tight-knit community.”

Junior school captain Ethan Brace said he travelled an hour to attend Aviation High each day.“My days at Aviation are full of enjoyable learning experiences, especially when it comes to the aviation side of things, whether that be avionics, rocketry or aviation club,” he said.

The 2018-37 Boeing Pilot Outlook forecasts a need for 790,000 new civil aviation pilots across the period, including 635,000 commercial pilots. More than a third of those, or 261,000, will be required in the Asia-Pacific region, along with 257,000 aircraft technicians and 321,000 cabin crew.

The enormous demand is because of fleet growth and the *retirement of several hundred thousand pilots and technicians, the Boeing outlook says.