PDA

View Full Version : Flyby School Leon

fraserkeyworth99
2nd Aug 2018, 16:19
Hello I'm starting to look at Training for Integrated ATPL and looking for peoples experience of Flyby in Leon Spain.
Any advice much appreciated.
Thanks

Amir Ali
6th Aug 2018, 23:19
i study with flyby in leon if you have any question PM me and i will gladly answer cheers ;)

fraserkeyworth99
8th Aug 2018, 15:28
Hi,
Thank you for replying to my post , how long have you been studying with leon?
Also how are you finding your time there what is the accommodation and the facilities like ?
What made you choose flyby school and what kind of process is involved in starting training as in the tests and visiting the school?
kind regards Fraser

Amir Ali
9th Aug 2018, 01:26
Hi,
Thank you for replying to my post , how long have you been studying with leon?
Also how are you finding your time there what is the accommodation and the facilities like ?
What made you choose flyby school and what kind of process is involved in starting training as in the tests and visiting the school?
kind regards Fraser
ok i am now 8 months into my training and i am well over 50% of the total course of-course excluding the 2 months of foundation which is mandatory for every new joiner.... the accommodation is good you can choose to stay on your own (price is higher) or you can go with standard accommodation which is good but not superb yet alot of students dont mind it and stay in it.... i chose flyby because of their aircraft's and the great slots of flying you get also the instructors are really good.... you have to do an aptitude test which is not that hard and also pass the foundation to go into the ATPL'S the facilities are getting better by day you definitely have to visit it and compare it to your own preference but i have done that alot and fly by is great ...as every school it lacks in some areas but majority is great and i am really happy with it and the quality training i get specially in flying.

Diogo Melo Almeida
26th Feb 2019, 01:04
i study with flyby in leon if you have any question PM me and i will gladly answer cheers ;)
hi Amir I want to start soon and by now you probably are almost completed your training ? Can you tell me more about your experience did you finish in 14 months? Thanks

josh.davidr
5th Jul 2019, 19:12
Hi Amir, I am also interested in how the rest of your time at Flybyschool was.

please let us know. THanks

tafau99
9th Jul 2019, 16:03
hello i'am from franch
I'm getting ready to start with them by the end of the year, but I want to know why they are only 14 months old, while other schools are 18 months old
and someone has an idea about the reesite porsontage and if the students coming out of this school find the work

harveyst
1st Sep 2019, 12:00
Hello I'm starting to look at Training for Integrated ATPL and looking for peoples experience of Flyby in Leon Spain.
Thanks

im off to the open day there in a few weeks. I’ll keep you posted :)

tafau99
1st Sep 2019, 12:15
Have you started studying or not yet?
for me I passed their test and I had them
may be I start in november

harveyst
10th Sep 2019, 10:37
is anyone else out there going to the open day At Flybyschool on the 18th?

harveyst
14th Sep 2019, 08:55

Clear your inbox, my message wont go because you are full :)

parkfell
14th Sep 2019, 12:40
Thanks
Before you commit to any establishment, it is critically important that you visit those on your shortlist.
Speak to the staff, but most importantly speak with the existing customers.

What you must be wary of are postings which give the impression that it is “all rosy in the garden”. Whilst the vast majority will be genuine honest views of the students / customers, there cannot be absolute certainty that this is the case.
It has been known for ‘management’ to purport to be a valued customer contradicting genuine (adverse) comments.

So a visit is essential with unfettered access to key personnel.

flybyschool
10th Oct 2019, 23:14
Hi

I fully agree you must visit other schools before committing

there are plenty options out there so we encourage everyone to visit different options

we work very hard to offer the best quality of training

best regarfs

parkfell
11th Oct 2019, 07:13
Hi

I fully agree you must visit other schools before committing

there are plenty options out there so we encourage everyone to visit different options

we work very hard to offer the best quality of training

best regarfs

Pleased to see positive comments from the school. Honest, straightforward, transparent schools essentially have contented trainees. You will always get a few customers who fail to make the grade and blame everyone else. It is fairly obvious after two months of ground school whether you have the ability.
Often decision time.

For those junior birdmen about to embark on any training, you must read the contact very carefully.

Read the recent posts I have made about being street wise.
LARGE up front payments are not recommended, in return for significant discounts.

Probably in the region of six staged payments throughout the course, in advance of each phase. Smaller amounts until groundschool is completed, then probably 2/3rd(staged) of the course fee once the flying starts.
The watch words are CAVEAT EMPTOR & DUE DILIGENCE

Note: In these days of Political Correctness, and for the avoidance of doubt, the phrase “junior birdmen” is a generic phrase, not identifying any particular gender.
A phrase used by one Sandy Thomson (groundschool supremo before EASA creation)

harveyst
11th Oct 2019, 15:25
I went to look at a few schools and Flybyschool was the best. Great learning environment, very honest about the workload that is coming - which some places downplay. And it’s a very professional outfit. I’m looking forward to starting in March.
if anyone has any questions about it just DM me, I know I asked a million and everyone was helpful, so I will carry on the tradition and help where I can.

TPierre21
16th Oct 2019, 20:17
Hey guys, I am quite interested in FlyBySchool but I have a few questions about it, so is there anyone starting there anytime soon, like November, December or January that wouldn't mind answering them? If so could you please reach out to me on [email protected], it will be easier as I had a few issues with the private messages on this forum.

Thanks in advance!

Thomas

Kassa Mellan
18th Dec 2019, 01:06
I have been in flyby for 11 months now and Flybyschool is a very good school. Sometimes you go to a school and wonder if you will ever make it but when you go to FLYBY, in 2 months it's already clear that you will make it. They have incoming work loads but prepare pretty well. The owner and the school are very helpful. It's 14 months but you can take it too at your pace. You will definitely leave with lots of good experience and growth. Not only as a pilot but as a person.

It is a very different experience and you will love it alot but ofcourse you should visit the school too before committing. For any school you would like to go to, please visit them. You can atleast tell fake immediately. You can see the planes and the structure of the school.

rob_ste97
3rd Jan 2020, 20:02
Hi everyone, I'm also interested in FLYBY school. How are you guys currently training there finding it?
Cheers! Or should I say, Gracias...

Tets987
23rd Jan 2020, 10:52

Hello, can you tell me more about the test?

Evoluxione
23rd Jan 2020, 14:19
Anyone else from here going to the open day next month?

Perceles
27th Jan 2020, 11:24
I am going! I still need to prepare a couple questions by my trip is already planned

Tiago521
27th Jan 2020, 20:03
Anyone else from here going to the open day next month?

I’m also going to the open day in the 9th of February

Evoluxione
28th Jan 2020, 01:49
Awesome to hear! Where are you guys from?

Tets987
28th Jan 2020, 09:54

Can you tell me more about their tests?

harveyst
28th Jan 2020, 12:56
I have tried to message you back.
My email is [email protected]

tofesky
5th Feb 2020, 22:39

what kind of questions you had ?

Evoluxione
8th Feb 2020, 13:52
See you guys tomorrow (hopefully) 😎

Elycian
11th Feb 2020, 19:34
Hi Guys,

any fresh review/feedback from the recent open day ? Thanks a lot !

Evoluxione
12th Feb 2020, 11:49
Very positive experience at least for me. Everyone from staff that we met seemed very professional, easy to approach and answered any question you had in mind. The same attitude (that I liked) they have shown earlier was present on the open day as well. They didn't bull**** and told us straight about the course and how hard it will be if we chose this particular school.

Everything else seemed super as well including the simulators, aircrafts and classrooms etc. They even mentioned that they might transfer all operations to Burgos where there is much better accomodation than in Leon for example. Also they clarified (I didn't know this) that the course will be completed in both Leon and Burgos separately meaning that there won't be any shuttling between Leon and Burogs airport when ever there is flight days(this is what I thought at first). Students will first live a few months in Leon finishing the 2 month ground school and then will move to Burgos for the ATPL + flight training period that lasts about 7 months if I understood correctly. Honestly I'm not sure what happened after that because it was unclear to me if the students move back to Leon for the remainder time or not. If Flybyschool is lurking about this forum they could perhaps clarify this for everyone?

Overall I couldn't personally think of anything negative about the school based on the visit other than the fact that overall Spanish people (at least outside of the schools staff that I met) do not speak English at all :p

Elycian
13th Feb 2020, 10:22
Thanks mate, all this sounds really good.
I'll keep them in mind even though my first option still Bartolini Air at the moment

John Gimenez
14th Feb 2020, 16:31
Forget about this flight school, they only want your MONEY. I did the ATPL at Flybyscholl (Flybai ATO E166 ex Bilbao) and I could say itīs one of the worst flightīs school in Spain. All the reviews are fake!! The course itīs carried out at Burgos, not in Leon, as they show in their webpage, because the donīt have the authorization from spanish authorities for flying at Leon airport, they dontīt want to pay the airport FEES (1 million euros anual), thatīs why first the were at Bilbao, then Los oteros - Leon, and now Burgos, and in a couple of month who knows where they will be at. The course canīt be finished in 14 months, so you will have to pay more and more euros, thatīs why the low PRICE itīs a real HOOK/BAIT. The "madrileņo" Alex Alvarez itīs an scammer and sociopath person, the best thing he does itīs to lie, and he does it well. The teachers are a disaster, they have no real experience on airlines and many never flew; they are from Venezuela, China, Oman, Arabia and others countryīs out of Spain. The first thing that they give you are all the anwers for the exams!! They got many Light Sport Aircraft because their price itīs half the cost of Piper or Cessna, fake schoolīs got this LSA to reduce operational costs, but not your fee: with two students fee they buy one aircraft. The food itīs horrible (you will have to buy your own), and the residence Emilio Hurtado (and hotel Las Vegas Burgos) has to much noise 24hr, bad bed and many problems with the infrastructure, thatīs why itīs cheap. 99% of the studentīs are from Oman, Iran and Arabia, they donīt know spanish, so they can be cheated easily. And many more things that they hide and you discover them late.....DONīT SAY I DIDNīT TELL YOU...good luck.

flybyschool
14th Feb 2020, 22:00
Good evening,
I am Alex from FLYBYSCHOOL

We do try to explain everything in our open days but it seems we must be clearer in certain points.

Let me clarify. After the ATPL and SE-VFR Phase, students will conduct the IFR phase followed by ME, final skill tests (for CPL and ME-IR) and completing the training with the 40 Hour MCC

the IFR Phase includes 20 hours in real airplane that will be completed in Burgos and then 40 hours in our simulator in Leon. But this will only happen when our FNPT II MCC simulator located in Leon is finally certified. After months of delay from the Spanish CAA we will finally have the audit on site between 17 and 19 February... hopefully, soon after, the sim will be released for duty!

The ME will be completed from Burgos and then, the MCC will be again done at The University of Leon.

Being said all the above, we are actively working to reopen flight operations from Leon as soon as possible. When? I don’t have a straight answer for that...
But I can advance some news here... we are planing to open another base for ATPL and Se-VFR while Leon is not open. Initial plans are to have it opened as soon as 1 May but this may change...

I hope this clarifies your questions

regards

PS: I understand most of you might have received a private message from a guy supposedly called John Gimenez or Juan Gimenez. I am really sorry about it but I did respond to this gentleman on Facebook. To start with, we have never ever had a student called John (or Juan) Gimenez... but yes, my formal name is Alejandro which I shorten to Alex...
Internet facilitates communications across the globe but you sometimes don’t know if the other person is who really says he is... that’s why we do not get offended when asked questions to confirm if we a real ATO (some may think... too good to be true). We also encourage potential students to visit the schools of your choice to see it with your own eyes (preferably, visit more than one school)
And we cannot be everybody’s choice... and we accept that.

Following this thread of posts I recognize a couple of our students but they posted here on their own account without any indication or suggestion from me or from anyone at FlyBy

More than happy to answer any question or concern you may have

Alex Alvarez (or should I clarify, Alejandro Alvarez ;-)))

yusufmuthy
16th Feb 2020, 19:08
Dear Alex,

Thank you for the response and clearing up the air on that review left by John or whoever.

This flight school looks appealing however I am still assessing my options.

flybyschool
18th Feb 2020, 05:37
Yes,please, compare other options!!

btw, someone sent me a pm but had his inbox full and could not respond

you can always email us
admissions officer is Jaime Ordovas (Jaime.ordovas(at)FLYBYSCHOOL.com)

Matt Borg
14th Apr 2020, 08:39
Hey Guys,
I'm a student from the November 2019 Promotion. I have no complaints about the school, as they said, they're not perfect, however for the price and time frame its worth it. The fleet of aircraft is growing and unless the weather is bad you will usually have a decent amount of flights per week. Ground school instructors are knowledgeable (shout out to Inigo and Pawel <3 ) and flight instructors are super nice. The situation as to why we moved to Burgos does not seem to have been of an fault of the school.

Personally, I prefer Burgos. It's a nice city, the residence I was placed in is modern, clean and food is actually quiet good. Plus the airport there is basically just for us with only a couple of commercial flights a week (ignoring the current COVID 19 situation ofc)
Customer Support are godsends. Camilla helps everyone equally and as much as she can. I know you might say that technically it's her job but imagine handling a huge amount of students and trying to sort out the move to Burgos.

If you live close by to Spain, I do suggest driving down with your car. It's very useful having your own transportation.
Shuttle timings are a bit tough and you might have to catch the 8 am shuttle for your flight at 12pm. so rather than being able to study in peace you would have to go try study with people running around you.

Alex is very nice and helpful however if you have questions I suggest contacting customer support or their marketing department for more details (or find a student on instagram. Most of us post a tonne xD)

Overall I rate the school very highly. Good price, very helpful and understanding. The aim is to finish in 14 months. That is assuming you do not miss your scheduled flights and don't slack. Delays are very possible if you do any of these.
Also don't forget you are students, so if something is not 5 star you need to be a bit understanding and compromise. Yes you are paying a good sum of money but compared to some other schools where you pay much more and spend twice the time to get your license I think some patience is warranted.

John_M_YTR
30th Apr 2020, 06:23
Hi Matt, could you expand more about the accommodation that they offer ? Also, I was just wondering about the food, is it just Spanish food or do they give you variety?... odd questions I know, but it has to be asked, since most of my questions I have been answered in previous threads.
Thank you in advance.

Matt Borg
1st May 2020, 09:08
Hey John,
no worries it's good that you're asking. Accommodation in Leon is decent. A bit basic but good. You will share an apartment with 2 others (unless you are lucky and the other 2 rooms are empty). Food is not too great here, sometimes its good, sometimes it isn't. So if you don't mind cooking you have a small kitchen and can cook.
You do have an option to either rent your own place for the first two months in Leon or upgrade your contract and move to a 1 bed apartment. However doing so will pretty much cut you off from spending time with colleagues and being with the others is actually a tonne of fun. There is a dedicated study room in the residence so you can cut off from and study there if needed.

Burgos has around three different residences I think. I love the place I'm in.Modern, food is pretty good. Cleaning of rooms is twice or three times a week, has a gym, supermarket 5 mins away and city center a 5 minute walk.
Downside is its shared with the university and can be pretty noisy at times.
Upside you get to meet and make friends.
There is also a massive chill out area with TV, Table Tennis, Billiards, sofa's...etc

There is another residence bang in the center of the city. A bit nicer as its brand new, but its it a bit smaller.
Haven't seen or heard anyone talking about the third place.

As for the type of food. Sometimes it's spanish based, like paella a and tortilla, but most of the time it's "normal". Sometimes chicken or meat, sometimes pasta...lots of fruit and salads. (this is in the place I'm currently in)

I suggest attending an open day (when all this hassle calms down)

Hope it helps.

DougCarti
7th Nov 2022, 09:27
Hi guys,
My name is Douglass and I wanted an updated review or guidance about the school from a current student or a recent graduate, most replies on this thread are not very old but as we all know the flight industry is very volatile. A lot can change from one year to another, for example in Portugal, Sevenair has recently bought L3 and GFS, and a few flight schools have recently opened up in Spain. Over the last few months, my flight school options have drastically changed and the more recent reviews or information the better.

I came across FlyBy at the Portugal Air Summit, I live in Lisbon and drove down to see the airshows and research flight schools. I visited almost every single Flight School that was there and I must say that FlyBy was the most appealing to me, their prices seemed fair, their program seemed really good, their fleet looked like it had multiple planes and big enough for me ( I'm 6ī2 or 189cm so this was a concern compared to other schools with Cessna 150 which I barely fit in), and the fact that the University of Burgos is affiliated with the program really interested me. I spoke with two gentlemen, Jaime and Miguel, and they were absolutely helpful and friendly. We spoke about their program a little and even joked around for a few minutes. So far FlyBy is my main choice but as I said, it's a volatile industry and a lot can change. I plan to enroll next year, and by then I will most likely have a PPL from the USA because I will stay over the summer with my family there and fly for a few months, I will be training in a PA 180 which I believe also part of their fleet and have around 100h. I wanted to know what advantages this will get me and if it is worth it at all, or if besides the hours and experience it might be a waste of money.

From what I understood from speaking with Miguel is that FlyBy doesn't really have any banks or financing options and wanted a little more information or advice on this matter. Additionally, I wanted a recommendation on which course to choose from and if I should use their accommodations or rent my own apartment, cook my own food, etc.
Another question of mine is how often do you really fly and in how many months do most student finish the program, from speaking to Jaime and Miguel I understood the average student takes around 16-18 months and fly 4-5 times per week. This seemed amazing and almost too good to be true, not that I don't believe them but approval of this from a student would be great. I will visit the school during one of its open days and get a better understanding of everything.

Most reviews seem credible and positive (except from that one guy Juan or whatever) for this school so I'm really excited to hear some feedback,

I'm still new to this website so If anyone would like to contact me my email is [email protected] (yes with 2 SS) the more the better so don't hesitate to send an email ;)

DougCarti
7th Nov 2022, 10:52
Any current students that could help?

BoeingLudo737
9th Nov 2022, 10:26
Hi guys,
My name is Douglass and I wanted an updated review or guidance about the school from a current student or a recent graduate, most replies on this thread are not very old but as we all know the flight industry is very volatile. A lot can change from one year to another, for example in Portugal, Sevenair has recently bought L3 and GFS, and a few flight schools have recently opened up in Spain. Over the last few months, my flight school options have drastically changed and the more recent reviews or information the better.

I came across FlyBy at the Portugal Air Summit, I live in Lisbon and drove down to see the airshows and research flight schools. I visited almost every single Flight School that was there and I must say that FlyBy was the most appealing to me, their prices seemed fair, their program seemed really good, their fleet looked like it had multiple planes and big enough for me ( I'm 6ī2 or 189cm so this was a concern compared to other schools with Cessna 150 which I barely fit in), and the fact that the University of Burgos is affiliated with the program really interested me. I spoke with two gentlemen, Jaime and Miguel, and they were absolutely helpful and friendly. We spoke about their program a little and even joked around for a few minutes. So far FlyBy is my main choice but as I said, it's a volatile industry and a lot can change. I plan to enroll next year, and by then I will most likely have a PPL from the USA because I will stay over the summer with my family there and fly for a few months, I will be training in a PA 180 which I believe also part of their fleet and have around 100h. I wanted to know what advantages this will get me and if it is worth it at all, or if besides the hours and experience it might be a waste of money.

From what I understood from speaking with Miguel is that FlyBy doesn't really have any banks or financing options and wanted a little more information or advice on this matter. Additionally, I wanted a recommendation on which course to choose from and if I should use their accommodations or rent my own apartment, cook my own food, etc.
Another question of mine is how often do you really fly and in how many months do most student finish the program, from speaking to Jaime and Miguel I understood the average student takes around 16-18 months and fly 4-5 times per week. This seemed amazing and almost too good to be true, not that I don't believe them but approval of this from a student would be great. I will visit the school during one of its open days and get a better understanding of everything.

Most reviews seem credible and positive (except from that one guy Juan or whatever) for this school so I'm really excited to hear some feedback,

I'm still new to this website so If anyone would like to contact me my email is [email protected] (yes with 2 SS) the more the better so don't hesitate to send an email ;)

It's not a great school from what I have been hearing. They might have a big fleet but that doesn't mean that their quality is good. Reliable sources also mentioned that their success rates at airline assessment are very low. Not worth the money

flybyschool
9th Nov 2022, 22:34
We would suggest you contact our students over Facebook or Instagram… there are many very active over there
This way, you will have real feedback from real students
We now have pilots flying for many different airlines around the world including Ryanair, Iberia, Vueling, Turkish airlines, WIZZAIR…

You may also want to consider a visit to our facilities in Burgos and see it with your own eyes…
Regarding your height… our tallest student was 2.03 so don’t think you would have any issue

Thank you very much for your kind words about Jaime and Miguel (note Miguel is a graduated pilot from FlyBy)

If you want to ask commercial questions, you should ask us directly. Pprune is not meant for that…

Now you are left with the most difficult part… which is making the right decision for your specific case

best regards
Alex

Eagle9701
29th Sep 2023, 14:21
Hey everyone,

I’m an aspiring pilot and am considering flyby as an option to carry out my training. Are there any current/past students here who could help me? I would just like a simple honest summary of the academy, is it worth the money etc., that would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally, those who have completed training and graduated from flyby, how did you find getting employment after? One of my worries is not being able to get a job at the end of my studies.

Thanks everyone in advance.

BoBrasil
28th Jan 2024, 08:40
Hi all, I am new to this forum and interested to learn more about the combined university degree from Burgos University and integrated ATPL course. Are there any participants with experience? Or current students?