PDA

View Full Version : XXV(F) Sqn to reform

frodo_monkey
1st Aug 2018, 16:26
https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/no-25-squadron-returning-to-fly-the-hawk-t2/

I might be biased, but a great decision - Feriens Tego!

Melchett01
1st Aug 2018, 17:11
https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/no-25-squadron-returning-to-fly-the-hawk-t2/

I might be biased, but a great decision - Feriens Tego!

Always good to see a Sqn reforming, but (and genuine question not being familiar with the current FJ training system), if all the are doing is splitting IV into 2 sqns, how does that increase training capacity? I remember when 28 was deemed to have become too big after the Danish Merlins arrived and the Sqn was split into 2 with 78 standing up. We might have had an extra Sqn, but still the same number of cabs and personnel.

Double Hush
1st Aug 2018, 18:34
Is it still the plan for the 2 Sqns to share the same building? And offices?

Regie Mental
1st Aug 2018, 18:44
Is it still the plan for the 2 Sqns to share the same building? And offices?

That’s the plan I believe

EXFIN
1st Aug 2018, 19:23
So is there any room outside at Valley for a Bloodhound Gate Guard��

Sideshow Bob
1st Aug 2018, 20:44
85 was always the premier Bloodhound sqn. Just look at the markings on the one at Cosford.

Just This Once...
2nd Aug 2018, 06:37
I do wonder how they pick these numbers, especially as the Hawk fleet already has some recent squadron history with 19, 208 et al.

Treble one
2nd Aug 2018, 07:48
I do wonder how they pick these numbers, especially as the Hawk fleet already has some recent squadron history with 19, 208 et al.

They have a pack of cards in the MoD with all the retired numberplates on. They pick the next one off the top? :-)

pr00ne
2nd Aug 2018, 08:26
Strict seniority rules. Especially now they are dropping the (Reserve) monika.

Union Jack
2nd Aug 2018, 10:29

Sure you wouldn't prefer the (original) Monika Live Monika Official Website (http://www.monikalive.com) ?

Jack

gr4techie
2nd Aug 2018, 10:57

Close their eyes and randomly throw 3 darts at a dart board? There's little chance of 180 Sqn

Just This Once...
2nd Aug 2018, 12:39
Doubtful given the less-than-continous history of XXV Sqn - 35 years+ sans aircraft.

Davef68
3rd Aug 2018, 09:14
Doubtful given the less-than-continous history of XXV Sqn - 35 years+ sans aircraft.

Still had a continuity of operational service as a Bloodhound unit. There were a few raised eyebrows when it re-appeared as an F3 squadron back in the late 80s, until it was pointed out that operational service didn't neccessarily mean flying aircraft.

I would have liked to see 111 resurrected, but hey ho!

The B Word
3rd Aug 2018, 18:42
Dave

Or 19, 23, 43 or 92...anything but the “glitter band”! :yuk:

The B Word

Cat Funt
31st Aug 2018, 23:56
So is there any room outside at Valley for a Bloodhound Gate Guard��

There is a Tornado in XXV sqn colours at Syerston. The Air Cadets’ favourite Failed To Resettle Successfully Gp Capt has had a monument to himself brought in under the pretence of it being added to the grand Aaron Aerospace Academy white elephant that doesn’t actually exist. He has even had his name stencilled on it. He’s finally shuffling off in a couple of months’ time, so grab it quick before the people who have had to put up with him for the past 5 years turn the whole thing into razor blades.

Saintsman
1st Sep 2018, 10:14
Why would a (F) fighter squadron be resurrected to fly Hawks in a training role?

teeteringhead
1st Sep 2018, 10:38
Splitting Squadrons into two?

Why?

An extra Wg Cdr post - obvious innit!

drustsonoferp
2nd Sep 2018, 10:39
Why would a (F) fighter squadron be resurrected to fly Hawks in a training role?

Perhaps the same reason that 4 and 208 were never allowed to be training sqns.

Valiantone
2nd Sep 2018, 11:53
The Tornado at Syerston has some history....

Seeing as it is the Second prototype ADV, and now the only surviving example ZA267. Rumour has it someone saved the nose of ZA254 after the scrappies did the evil deed at Coningsby in 2003/04.... Anyone know anything??

And 267 was until recently used at Marham as a GIA

57mm
2nd Sep 2018, 12:06
When I left Coningsberg in 2014, there was still an F3 gate guardian; isn't it still there?

Valiantone
2nd Sep 2018, 12:44
ZE760 which was ex Italian loan and runway hugger!! is still the gate guardian along with the Phantom.

ZA254 was allocated to 56 for GI duties and was disposed of at some point after the F.3s moved to Leuchars, The F.3 they also had for GI use went by road