PDA

View Full Version : Pitch Black Shenanigans

jumby164
30th Jul 2018, 03:33
Social media posts regarding the accidental release of an external fuel tank off a departing military jet out of RAAF Base Darwin this morning. No word of any casualties on ground thankfully, although some power and water workers got to witness the impact. Nothing in the news as of yet.

junior.VH-LFA
30th Jul 2018, 08:42
Why do you assume it was an accident?

jumby164
30th Jul 2018, 08:43
ABC Darwin has reported that an aircraft was experiencing serious issues on takeoff and had to release their external jug.

jumby164
30th Jul 2018, 08:44
Why do you assume it was an accident?

Wasn't me that made that assumption.
Does it really matter?
Pointless and trivial post on your behalf.

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
30th Jul 2018, 09:10
Social media posts regarding the release of an external fuel tank off a departing military jet out of RAAF Base Darwin this morning. No word of any casualties on ground thankfully, although some power and water workers got to witness the impact. Nothing in the news as of yet.
Fixed it for you. Now it doesn't matter.

junior.VH-LFA
30th Jul 2018, 09:34
Wasn't me that made that assumption.
Does it really matter?
Pointless and trivial post on your behalf.

Point taken but personally I do see a big difference between choosing to punch a tank off versus an inadvertent release.

ORAC
30th Jul 2018, 09:52
Point taken but personally I do see a big difference between choosing to punch a tank off versus an inadvertent release. For the person in the driving seat, yes; for those on the ground below, not so much......

ORAC
30th Jul 2018, 10:33
I presumed that punching off a tank would be to obviate the possibility of that occurring. And even if it didn't, that the engine(s) would then carry the airframe to the scene of the accident - providing two impact points, not one.....

ORAC
31st Jul 2018, 07:38
Aircraft confirmed as USAF F-16. Landed safely.

CoodaShooda
31st Jul 2018, 08:21
I love the sound of jet noise in the morning....afternoon.....evening and (next week)....night. . :E

Ogre
31st Jul 2018, 10:23
It's only one drop tank, it's not like it's a field at the end of the runway at Leuchars....

As it's Darwin it probable caused several hundreds of dollars of improvements

Mk 1
1st Aug 2018, 06:16
As it's Darwin it probable caused several hundreds of dollars of improvements

Comment of the year. And given the NT Times newspaper more ammo for an outrageous headline.