PDA

View Full Version : Reading Pprune problem

Offchocks
29th Jul 2018, 21:59
Whilst reading Pprune on my IPad, after loading the main home page or subsequent threads, when I scroll down the page doesn’t move smoothly but “staggers” down or may even return to the beginning. This has only been the case in the last month or so and doesn’t happen on other bulletin boards. Any ideas what the problem may be and how I can cure it?

Thanks!

le Pingouin
30th Jul 2018, 02:39
Sounds like it might be "infinite scrolling" that's giving you grief - posted on another thread: https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/611450-checking-your-browser-2.html#post10207696

"You can switch the "infinite scroll" off - look under User CP , Settings and Options, edit options and eventually Display Options"

Offchocks
30th Jul 2018, 11:59
Merci Monsieur Le Pingouin it worked!

Pali
24th Apr 2019, 14:05
When I read PPRuNe on my iPad sometimes I want to enlarge the text section as my eyes are not in a shape they used to be. But when I try and there is an ad on the side it will move and obscure the text. See the screenshots. Very annoying!

Would it be possible to do something about it?

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/a9c60ac7_4eca_4478_a95e_670d7c9fc2b2_7ffec056e0713b5ff743f02 19795b461580f461a.png
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/f3575d56_67b0_47a0_ba00_8d06e0bf301d_a6f86b78e5c2a5b1d66a743 639c7d9c72916621a.png

DB6
27th Apr 2019, 18:53
Pali, I see this as well and it is one of the most infuriating things I have ever come across. Pprune admin - I will never ever buy anything advertised in this way, nor indeed do I continue reading Pprune when this happens. I simply close it down and do something else, and stop reading Pprune until I am on a different device. Nearly as irritating as adverts coming up halfway through a Youtube video. I have similarly never continued watching, nor will I ever.

IBobi
29th Apr 2019, 19:23
If you choose to read PPRuNe on a mobile device but in desktop mode, this will continue to happen. There is no way around it, I'm afraid.

Which is why we have the mobile skin, perfect for reading and replying to posts! Please give it a try.

darkshadow
7th May 2019, 18:50
If you choose to read PPRuNe on a mobile device but in desktop mode, this will continue to happen. There is no way around it, I'm afraid.

Which is why we have the mobile skin, perfect for reading and replying to posts! Please give it a try.

The problem with the mobile skin is that it jumps around while scrolling. Scroll up a millimeter and suddenly you are a few dozens posts back. It’s almost impossible to read longer threads with it. :(

IBobi
7th May 2019, 19:59
Is it possible your mobile connection is slow? I'm not seeing that issue with the mobile skin at all.

You may also try clearing your cache and PPrune cookies... or try a different mobile browser...

Pali
7th May 2019, 23:34
The problem with the mobile skin is that it jumps around while scrolling. Scroll up a millimeter and suddenly you are a few dozens posts back. It’s almost impossible to read longer threads with it. :(
Well, this happens with scrolling on the computer too. After opening any thread I instantly note the number of the first post on page because when I scroll it jumps randomly and if I wouldn’t notice the number I would be lost. This happens since new skin of PPRuNe was introduced and I guess it has something to do with advertising again.

Maybe this was programmed by the same guys than MCAS...

IBobi
7th May 2019, 23:38
Well, this happens with scrolling on the computer too. After opening any thread I instantly note the number of the first post on page because when I scroll it jumps randomly and if I wouldn’t notice the number I would be lost. This happens since new skin of PPRuNe was introduced and I guess it has something to do with advertising again.

Maybe this was programmed by the same guys than MCAS...
That could be 2 things.

Either you have your desktop set to display the mobile skin (if so, go to the 3-horizontal line menu at the top left and select VIEW DESKTOP)

or

You have "infinite scroll" turned on -- to turn that off, go to user cp, edit options, disable infinite scroll, and SAVE.

darkshadow
8th May 2019, 19:35
Is it possible your mobile connection is slow? I'm not seeing that issue with the mobile skin at all.

You may also try clearing your cache and PPrune cookies... or try a different mobile browser...

No, I get this even on very fast connections. Same on iPhone or iPad. At least on iPad Desktop Mode is quite usable. I have Infinite Scrolling off.

IBobi
8th May 2019, 21:10
No, I get this even on very fast connections. Same on iPhone or iPad. At least on iPad Desktop Mode is quite usable. I have Infinite Scrolling off.
I'm out of ideas, I'm sorry to say. I do not have widespread reports of the jumping with the mobile skin, but it sure sounds like it is taking too long to load the page elements and that's what's causing it.

My last bit of advice is to wait until the whole page loads before trying to scroll.

Asturias56
10th May 2019, 16:33
On my tablet I get a sudden jump a couple of seconds after opening a new page - I have to force myself to wait as it's easy to hit the wrong thread when you open up PPrune

never happens on the laptop or desktop...................

darkshadow
10th May 2019, 17:41
I'm out of ideas, I'm sorry to say. I do not have widespread reports of the jumping with the mobile skin, but it sure sounds like it is taking too long to load the page elements and that's what's causing it.

My last bit of advice is to wait until the whole page loads before trying to scroll.

It’s okay, I read long threads in desktop mode and that works fine. I check for new interesting threads on the phone and read them later on a larger screen if they’re longer. But I will try the “wait for page load and then scroll” approach as well. Thanks for mentioning it.