PDA

View Full Version : Constellation at Saint-Cyr-l'École aerodrome Paris

SpringHeeledJack
29th Jul 2018, 16:27
Whilst watching the Tour de France wind it's way through the outskirts of Paris, they went through Versailles showing the incredible palace. Just in shot was the Saint Cyr-L'Ecole Aerodrome. I might be dreaming, but I remember seeing a Lockheed Constellation at this airfield back in the day. It might have been static WFU etc. Does anyone else remember it, have any info or a photograph ?

DaveReidUK
29th Jul 2018, 17:03
Saint-Cyr-L'Ecole has a 3000' grass runway. Could a Connie have landed there ?

treadigraph
29th Jul 2018, 18:49
It certainly wasn't there when I visited in 1987 but I have a feeling there had been a Breguet Deux Ponts either there or at Toussus which had been broken up before my visit.

Edit: there was a Connie 6V-AAR and a Deux Ponts F-BASX at Toussus, owned by the Aero Club de Air France; both were scrapped in the late 1970s.

SpringHeeledJack
29th Jul 2018, 20:26
I would agree that the grass runway would be a challenge, but if it was just a landing, maybe possible ? This would have been in the 70's. Long time ago, in the winter, someone else guiding the way. This :- Constellation Air France (http://aviatechno.net/constellation/suivi_matricule.php?mat=F-BAZL) shows the history of the Tousses Conny and a photo as 6V-AAR. The runway length and surface at Toussus suggest that that would be the answer, but my memory says different, maybe it was implanted by that UFO ;-)

treadigraph
29th Jul 2018, 20:43
The two airfields plus Guyancourt, now a housing estate, were very close together as I recall. Abiding memory of St Cyr was a slightly shabby Frenchman - with the inevitable Gauloise defying gravity on his lower lip - offering us a ride in a decrepit Jodel D140 for a small consideration in cash. Wish we had said yes...

Wander00
30th Jul 2018, 16:44
I think there is one at Nantes still - will check on Monday when I send Mrs W back to UK for 10 days

Mark 1
30th Jul 2018, 18:30
St Cyr does have the front section of a Connie fuselage parked outside. The standing area looks big enough for a whole aircraft, so maybe they did have the whole Connie previously.

I presume it came in by road partially dismantled.

DaveReidUK
30th Jul 2018, 22:04
St Cyr does have the front section of a Connie fuselage parked outside. The standing area looks big enough for a whole aircraft, so maybe they did have the whole Connie previously.

I presume it came in by road partially dismantled.

No evidence of it on GE, either current or historical imagery. Do you know the Connie's identity ?

treadigraph
30th Jul 2018, 22:21
Something here (https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@48.8087164,2.0698371,38m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en) but I don't think it's a Connie nose. Falcon 20 possibly?

Archer4
2nd Aug 2018, 12:46
I was in St Cyrl last week. The only thing was cessna 150 taken apart.

DaveReidUK
2nd Aug 2018, 18:11
No evidence of it on GE, either current or historical imagery. Do you know the Connie's identity ?

We'll take that as a "No", then ...