PDA

View Full Version : Hour building with own aircraft

jasdeep97
28th Jul 2018, 14:17
Hello guys as from my title I've found a guy who can rent me an aircraft for 3 months next year and i can take the plane where ever i want, just have to bring it back after 50 hours to do some checks, so my question is where should i take the aircraft to do hour building??? I need a place where they sell cheap fuel, in uk its quite expensive at least at the airport where im based now and i need a place where i can park it as well preferably in europe
pls let me know
thanks

flugas
28th Jul 2018, 18:05
I managed to buy and to resell an aircraft which I used for time building. I originally bought a 1/3 share and sold the whole aircraft for the group in the end. Saving money is in this case a matter of luck. While you fly it, nothing can happen to the plane, new regulations such as the introduction of the 8,33 kHz VHF radios threaten your savings and most importantly, reselling it at the same rate you bought it is feasible, but very difficult, it might take a lot of time (a plane on the ground costs you money) and once again, depends on luck.

Arguing with maintenance shops, trying to avoid CAMO expenses (e.g. with very old annex II aircraft), negotiating the hangar price with different airfields at the same time and being aware of new regulations will likely give you more hands on experience than flying a flight school's shiny airplane. But it comes at a risk.

In order to save money on fuel, we had the auto fuel STC and could that way legally fly a Lycoming powered airplane with mogas (octan 98). Yet most airfields only have mogas 95... Flying on mogas or with aircraft equipped with diesel engines are the only ways I know to save on fuel.

With reference to your questions, there are small airfields in Hungary where you don't pay per landing or you agree on a low "all you can land" monthly rate. Hangar space may cost you less than 100 EUR per month on the countryside there.