PDA

View Full Version : Westland Scout

pilotwolf
26th Jul 2002, 19:28
Hi All,

Have already posted this in Rotorheads but thought I might also get some useful info in here...

I am looking into purchasing a share in a Westland Scout and was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas about what they are like to fly, potential problems etc...

Thanks

Vulture
26th Jul 2002, 22:20
I flew the Scout for two tours and grew to feel quite insecure in it (although it did give me the opportunity to get a green endorsement).

It was unreliable, autorotated like a ceramic toilet and had suspected problems with it's flight idle position on the twistgrip. However, it drew an amazing loyalty from most of those who flew it in the military. I personally would never fly one again if I had an option (which I now do). I can't fault it for it's robustness (witness soldiers clambering in and out of it all day) and, when one had a few hours on it, it could be manoeuvred into very tight spaces. As a military aircraft it was just about acceptable. As a civy aircraft I would not touch it.

I know many ex Scout pukes will spit at me for these remarks but you did ask.

Oh, and it had a very poorly placed cabin heater control (right next to the fuel HP shut off lever).

Sloppy Link
26th Jul 2002, 22:34
Spit.

RFHO
27th Jul 2002, 11:12
I speak as an ex Military pilot who flew the Scout on and off over a period of 25 years. Two operational tours, one long tour in NI and two tours instructing on it.
The Scout is the Queen of the Skies. Only aircraft I have flown with leather seats and instruments big enough to see! Only aircraft I have flown that is truly soldier proof. She does have an energetic autorotation performance but it doesn't take long to master and boy do you feel great greasing one on as the RRPM fall to not worth having, one might say it sorted out the men from the boys. I could go on for ever but won't as there will be many others who will comment I'm sure.

One weakness I did find was the Station Box on the Central Console was poorly located and was exactly where large aggressive Sniffer Dogs would place their paws when giving the pilot a show of affection. Always had to check who you were transmitting to after you'd carried a dog.

ewe.lander
27th Jul 2002, 20:27
p.wolf, lucky you to have the chance for a share in a Scout.

Ignore Vulture, the man is insecure and probably still a bed-wetter. I've got 3200hrs on the old girl, in N.Ireland, England, Falklands and the Far East and would love to be still flying her.

RFHO is spot on, but you will have to pay top dollar to keep her airworthy, and yes she has some vices, autorotation is very exciting, I had an engine failure one evening with a good mate over Sek Kong.....we both tried turning the cab opposite ways!,meanwhile the Air Traffic Controller told us 'you are clear to land'...aaagh!

The Heater/HP cock saga is legend, be very careful, a couple of top men lost their lives because of the design. The Nimbus burns a lot of fuel per hour, a twin engined Islander burns similar per hour with 8 up than 2 of you in a Scout.

If money is no problem..... look no further, it's solid engineering and great fun to fly.

Vulture, if you intend giving me a hard time.....hurry up, the Merlot is flowing!:D

ewe.lander
27th Jul 2002, 21:16
Incidentally Vulture.....'ex-Scout pukes', oh dear dear dear, would'nt PB14 post you back to the Gazelle squadron that had 'tended' the freezer full of Quiche you left??

Yes, I did a tour on Gazelle, but then I grew up! :p

pilotwolf
27th Jul 2002, 22:49
Thanks everyone!

More confused now than before! :confused:

Hopefully going for a reccy on Monday... will let you know how it goes.

Have been quoted approx £150 per hour inclusive...

Just need to sell house for share! :p

Vulture
27th Jul 2002, 23:14
ewe.lander

Thank you for your intelligent and thought provoking contribution. I really do not see how you can possibly feel the need to be so insulting when you have no idea who I am or what my history and experience are.

I personally found the Scout to be exactly what I described it to be. I had an engine failure at low level and a main rotor gearbox all but unscrew itself over the jungle. That is hardly going to endear an aircraft to a pilot. Of the poles of opinion, both have reported personally having engine failures. The police would call that a clue.

Not wishing to get into a pi**ing contest with you, you might like to get a second opinion about the 'growing up' thing.

flygunz
28th Jul 2002, 09:01
Pilotwolf, this thread is far more exciting than the tame version in Rotorheads, nobody bites there!
Whats with this pi**ing contest, for those of you that have done well, well done, especially low level engine failures over the jungle. If y'all remember the Scout pilot notes stated quite clearly that low level engine offs were to be'discussed' only as they were far to difficult to execute!! As the beefer in 658, I took myself out and did exactly the opposite, and when I felt happy, took out the rest of the pilots and carried them out from 50 - 250 ft. Really, really good fun but not for the faint hearted!

Now pilotwolfie requirements to become a Scout Jock:
1. Gotta be arrogant.
2. Must be able to 'strut' about.
3. Have to be over 200 lbs(beer belly mandatory).
4. Wear a Para smock.
5. Know Bob Morris
6. Hate Chicken leg pukes.
7. Smoke.

See you about!

pilotwolf
28th Jul 2002, 11:41
Well Flygunz...

1. Can be when required.
2. Will do if I can be bothered!
3. Definately! More excessive rum than beer thou.
4. Never worn a smock.
5. Know a Ted Morris if than counts?
6. Tend to prefer the featherless birds.
7. Don't smoke but have been known to steam frequently!

3.5 - 4 /7. 60%. Guess I don't qualify?

Oh **** back to the Robbo and 206 then :rolleyes:

SPIT
28th Jul 2002, 12:34
Hi Sloppy Link
Excuse mu ignorance but WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??
All the Best
SPIT:confused: :confused: :confused:

Sloppy Link
28th Jul 2002, 15:44
9th line, post immediately above mine should explain. I did not mean to take your name in vain. Oops! Sorry!;)

RFHO
29th Jul 2002, 06:56
pilotwolf,

Keep the faith, you have virtually made the decision. Bet when you fly in her you'll be sold. Plenty of ex scout pilots either ex mil or still serving who contribute here will offer you shed loads of advice. Some may even be able to recite the FRC's given half a chance and several pints.

For flygunz,

Replies to your questions on on rotorheads - I still think we know eachother.

Chris Kebab
29th Jul 2002, 07:04
Know nothing about rotary, but I do know that if the turkey who regularly flys his Scout over my back garden at about 100' as he departs the ajoining field doesn't adopt another departure procedure he will feel the full force of my new battery powered Super Soaker!

flygunz
29th Jul 2002, 08:11
RFHO, ta, check yer priv msg.
Wolfie, do it!

Muff Coupling
29th Jul 2002, 20:52
Recall a ditty about the venrable Scout from many years ago.

I was on stop over in a FJ at Bitburg getting PX goodies, as you do, when in comes this Scout for a suck of motion lotion. At the risk of being called an anorak, breezed over to have a nose.

Young Sgt pilot from some AAC location near Bielefeld on his way to Luxembourg, was trying to convince gathered USAF VASS types that he had not had made an emergency diversion, as the gathered throng were not convinced that he had not lost his engine cowlings! "Holy ****!", declared 4-5 colonial cousins " I wouldnt fly in a goddam aircraft that had its engine exposed to the air"!

Some of the F15A (this was a brand new aircraft then!) techs refused to believe that the engine (Nimbus) intake was also designed to be an air cooled oil tank!

The young pilot then spent valuable burger time convincing said crowd, that he was not his way to a Vintage Air Ralley and that this was actually the British Armys "front line anti armour helicopter"! And left them pondering the pitot tube, which he had convinced them was a .22 ranging gun for the anti tank missile system!

However, I have to say everyone fancied the leather seats!

Spoke to him briefly, and he waxed lyrical about it and its "aerodynamics of an outside ablution", but a bloody good, reliable military aiframe".

Sorry this doesnt help, but I recall last year at Luechars BoB Display, a civil reg type, but in mil colours operating out of E Anglia somewhere, by a business bloke,trying to drum up funds to keep it airworthy. Try the AAC HAF at Wallop, they might give a name, as they were together.

Do not be put off by the "Wohh, dodgy, single engine, too risky" types-if you get the chance go for it!

pilotwolf
29th Jul 2002, 21:08
Well...

Went and had a reccy and it's certainly a nice looking beast, didn't get chance to fly though - saving that for a later date..

My intitial concerns were...

Cockpit seems very cluttered as all the old mil panels and switchgear is still installed including gun/flare/etc selector switches!

Its on a Permit to Fly.

Not approved for night flight.

Maximum 4 pob.

No transponder (currently).

Only approx 2 hr endurance (?).

Understand absolute nightmare to fly if hyd. failure....

Wonder on the value of hours to potential employer.

Need to rob bank or my numbers to come up on Saturday!

Plus side...

Approx £150 ph costs inc.

No landing or hanger fees.

Cheap fuel.

No schools turning their nose up at my FAA licence!

Share price flexible.

Appears indestructable.

I want it!!!!

Any comments...

PS Not concerned with 1 engine thing - never flown anything else!

DANGLEBERRY
29th Jul 2002, 21:38
Dont know if this helps,that scout from East anglia used to fly from Wattisham Airfield,not been back there for2 and a bit years so it could have gone!
I loved BEING flown in them, twas my first!

Sloppy Link
30th Jul 2002, 02:05
There is a chap at Cranfield with a Scout and a Wasp, may be worth a visit?

Airtoday
31st Jul 2002, 17:57
See my Scout input on Rotorheads and see if you can recognise the pilot.

pilotwolf
1st Aug 2002, 06:13
Thanks to everyone who has replied... wether by posting, email or during calls.

now in conference with she who knows better, my 'career advisor' and the bank as to the best option to take.

I let you know what happens.

thom
5th Aug 2002, 11:45
Does anyone remember the story of the AAC pilot in Sek Kong who was posing with the Scout in front of a tee-vee crew, and after taking off immediately lost power and disappeared down the side of a hill? Was that fact or fiction?:confused:

teeteringhead
6th Aug 2002, 06:24
Don't remember the HK dit, but know a good Aden one. A Scout had either gone u/s or maybe forced landed in the hills, and was to be lifted out underslung by the mighty Wessex.

Unfortunately, in the transition, Wessex loses one engine, so the pilot (Ronnie Beatson??) pickles the load and one slightly u/s Scout becomes Cat 5!

Didn't see it, but it definitely happened, I've seen the pictures. There used to be a superb sequence of pictures in 78 Sqn's album, wonder if they're still there?

BlueEagle
6th Aug 2002, 10:41
In Aden, a Belvedere was sent to recover a Beaver that had been force landed after an engine failure but was virtually undamaged.

Army enginers said, "hang on a minute or two and we will take the wings off to make it a safe load",

"No problem say the RAF crew, pilots, engineers etc., we can take it as it is", (otherwise we leave!),

Shortly after airborne the Beaver rotates and starts to fly, upwards, captain of Belvedere dumps his US load and the hardly damaged Beaver becomes a total write-off!!!

cobaltfrog
7th Aug 2002, 18:15
Have got a set of FRC's for SCOUT if you want them!

northwing
8th Aug 2002, 19:27
I am only a flt test engineer but a visiting Swedish pilot gave me a go on the Scout in 1976. The wierdest thing about it was the stick position. Just flying along S&L the trim position drifted back and forth over quite a wide range with a period of maybe 2 minutes. On any other type this would have been condemned as sheer lunacy but the Scout world just seemed to accept it. The amazing thing was that people adapted to it very quickly and never gave it another thought.