PDA

View Full Version : Westland Scout

pilotwolf
26th Jul 2002, 19:18
I m looking to purchasing a share in a helicopter for cheap(er) flying and hour building.

There is the possiblity of one in a Scout...

..can anyone give me an idea of what they are like to fly, any potential pilot induced problems which may occur, etc, etc.

Also a good way of justifying it to the other half! :)

Roundagain
26th Jul 2002, 21:27
The Westland Scout AH1 was originally designed to meet MOD specs for a new anti-tank helicopter. At the same time a decision was being made on the construction of new outside barrack toilets. Budget cuts forced the amalgamation of the two projects and the result was a great soldier proof helicopter that fell out of the sky like a brick s**t house in autorotation.

Great machine - enjoy.

ShyTorque
27th Jul 2002, 00:00
Yes, the rear of the aircraft was designed by a builder's labourer with a shovel. They put up the scaffolding but ran out of cash before they had put the roof on.

Tail rotor authority a bit suspect at high AUM, or at least the Naval version, the Wasp, suffered from a slight problem in that area.

Nigel Osborn
27th Jul 2002, 00:15
They were great fun to fly, very manoeuvrable and exciting. A bit old now and expensive to keep serviceable I would imagine.:D :D

The Nr Fairy
27th Jul 2002, 06:40
I would also recommend a trawl through the AAIB bulletins for Scout accidents to see how you can learn from other people's misfortunes. There are at least three or four I can think of off the top of my head.

flygunz
27th Jul 2002, 09:59
The Scout was never designed to be a trainer or a daily means of economical transport. It evolved, outside its sketchy cold war role, as a really useful utility helicopter but not without its limitations.
In the military where costs were not an issue, a conversion would take 40 hours, but before anyone jumps on that, most of the time was taken up with handling exercises. This was ( and is) due to the scouts inclination to bite your backside when you were least expecting it!
The auto comment is a bit misleading as the scout engine off is a spectator sport. Inside its very simple, you come down at 50 kts, flare hard, check harder and expect a long run on! After practice you can explore the boundary but it is a fine line to cock up!!
There are lots of threads about Gazelles in non military hands and the safety issues, the same goes for the Scout. I have nothing to do with the people that sell them but work close by. I am more than prepared to help you make a considered judgement if you are serious about part sharing or whatever.

pilotwolf
27th Jul 2002, 10:47
Thanks for your replies eyeryone.

I m more confused now than before! Although I think the balance is tipped in favour of don't do it.

Supposed to be going to 'have a look' on Monday so guess I ll see what it's like then....

:confused:

Roundagain
27th Jul 2002, 10:50
I remember a couple of fatal accidents supposedly caused by mistakenly closing the fuel shut-off cock which was located next to the cabin heater and of the same type of lever.

paco
27th Jul 2002, 11:45
The tail rotor authority thingy was caused by the rather large fin behind the rotor that blocked off a lot of airflow. Having said that, I did a lot of strange things with it and never came to grief. I had a lot of fun, in fact. But yes, watch that fuel cock.

A gazelle would be more relevant to a future employer, I suspect.

phil

avlerx
27th Jul 2002, 12:34
I did my PPL-H in a Scout and and consider it to be a sturdy helicopter. None of the incidents in the AAIB reports are down to the aircraft. I now own a part share in one and enjoy flying it. Compared to an R22 it is much better value for money. I understand that over the years the Army fixed most of the problems and by the time it came out of service it was fairly well sorted. E-mail me if you want any information.

RFHO
27th Jul 2002, 15:58
Pilotwolf,

See my responce in the Military Aircrew. The Scout is a great helicopter to fly and if its shear piloting fun and a challenge you want then do it. She will not be the cheapest to run but a colleague in my office services at least three, I think, for civillian users and regularly flies with the owners. He's clearly not mad and believes they are safe. Call/e-mail me if you need more.

flygunz
27th Jul 2002, 17:07
RFHO, mmm... hope you know what that stands for? Ever done one?
And who taught you to spell?:p

t'aint natural
27th Jul 2002, 17:18
The spec for every Scout includes a crowbar, mounted on the left-hand door pillar.
When I asked the bloke I flew it with what the crowbar was for, he said: "In autorotation you chuck it out, and if you overtake it you can pull some pitch."

Roundagain
28th Jul 2002, 12:19
If you do buy one and it still has the SS11 missile booms attached make sure you remove your wrist watch before firing the missiles. I reached behind the LHS to operate the firing sequence, my watch strap got caught on the seat and I couldn't reach the sight control or change magnification. Killed three sheep at Otterburn that day and still can't eat lamb.

RFHO
29th Jul 2002, 06:42
flygunz,

Answers to your questions:
a. Yes I do.
b. Yes I have.
c. Never was a good speller and haven't managed to find how to get spell checker to work when posting replies. Always reckoned that if people understood what you were on about spelling was less important - seems you think I'm wrong

My guess is we know eachother and have probably flown scout together as well at some time.

Airtoday
30th Jul 2002, 15:07
A superb machine when someone else is paying for it (like the Army).

What is not generally known is that it is also a terrific passenger aircraft. I have seen one take off from the side of a mountain (okay maybe a big hill) with 12 souls on board.

This is surely, I hope, still a record. They were all rather slightly built Oriental folk but still quite an achievement.

I will not mention the pilot's name but it wasn't me.

flygunz
31st Jul 2002, 08:35
Was that in The Falklands?

Airtoday
31st Jul 2002, 17:22
I do not recall seeing too many Orientals in the Falklands. Maybe I had my eyes closed most of the time..

I think the answer is "no".

flygunz
31st Jul 2002, 19:49
Maybe you missed the Gurkhas then! I think I got 7 in;)

Airtoday
31st Jul 2002, 20:04
No many Gurkhas in along the way. Remember asking for a weather report from their mountain top location with the splendid reply: "Don't know...it's too foggy"

flygunz
31st Jul 2002, 20:27
I called Fox bay to ask for a weather check, the Gurkha on the end of the phone when asked for the vis said "its clear as far as I see"
To infinity and beyond!

pilotwolf
1st Aug 2002, 06:15
Thanks to everyone who has replied... wether by posting, email or during calls.

now in conference with she who knows better, my 'career advisor' and the bank as to the best option to take.

I let you know what happens.