PDA

View Full Version : Innovative scam ?

Krystal n chips
27th Jul 2018, 16:13
Happily browsing the Met Office site, when, blank page, then, "Your McAfee subscription has expired 27th July 2018 " with a helpful "renew now " box.

Just one small problem here......I don't have McAfee as my anti-virus protection. I have Norton.

So would this just be a glitch, or, a more innovative scam attempt please ?

renfrew
27th Jul 2018, 17:13
I have had it too.
So yet another scam.

jimjim1
27th Jul 2018, 17:32
Happily browsing the Met Office site, when, blank page, then, "Your McAfee subscription has expired 27th July 2018 " with a helpful "renew now " box.

Just one small problem here......I don't have McAfee as my anti-virus protection. I have Norton.

Hmmm. I use the met office web site every few days and I have not seen this one.

I suspect, but have not proof, that linked ad sites may be a source for this kind of stuff. I therefore use an ad blocker.

Met office site seems to have ads, albeit a relatively small number.

Also, it may not even have had anything to do with MacAfee.

Mark in CA
6th Aug 2018, 14:38
Maybe this is your answer:

https://www.2-spyware.com/remove-your-mcafee-subscription-has-expired.html

Your McAfee Subscription Has Expired is a scam message which is typically initiated by adware. The fake error announces that the McAfee antivirus' license has expired and needs to be renewed in order to protect your machine. To do that, you are prompted to click “Renew now.” Nevertheless, it is only a dubious way to trick you into paying for bogus software or entering personal details that can be used for illegal activities. The false alert might pop up in Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or any other browser, but you should never proceed as it is just a scam and should be ignored.

Hussar 54
9th Aug 2018, 13:12
Me too....

This morning on a German Web Site but the offer to renew my subscription for software which I have never had was in English, so almost certainly coming via embedded ads in web pages....

Igundwane
9th Aug 2018, 14:08
Rule of thumb for all the non IT savvy folks, if you don't have it and don't know about it... Don't buy it or click it.