PDA

View Full Version : Acclimatised vs not-acclimaitised at home base

jarops
27th Jul 2018, 02:50
... just a thought... Would it be fair to say that during your RSV month: standby 1900-0300 following rest, next morning standby 0600-1400.... you would basically fall into a category of not-acclimatised? First you rest for your evening duty, then follow by the morning duty.... physiologically this is like the time zone difference.... Maybe just nice way thinking which really doesn't matter for rostering point of view for the planner.....

How difficult that would be to set some kind of standby pairing for the RSV guys...... just a though....

Monarch Man
27th Jul 2018, 05:43
It depends...if you were able to take uninterrupted rest which at EK includes being on stby at night, then the variable would be the period before the stby period.

”When a crew member has spent 3 consecutive local nights on the ground within a time zone which is 2 hours wide, and is able to take uninterrupted nights sleep. The crew member will remain acclimatised thereafter until a duty period finishes at a place where local time differs by more than 2 hours from that at the point of departure”

So it depends, but I think the point you are trying to make is that a stby at night is a duty and therefore you are unable to take rest? In EKs eyes for example, if you aren’t called..then it you are not on duty..and are thus resting.

Mr Angry from Purley
27th Jul 2018, 06:46
JAROPS
Before the 1900-0300 have a nap in the afternoon
If not called go to sleep in the evening
If you don't get called make sure you get up early so you carry some sleep debt into your full nights sleep before the morning SBY
Yes it would be better for another 1900-0300 SBY to have followed..
If you can (semi) manage all the hard flights that EK throw at you planning for that SBY combo should be a walk in the park??

felixthecat
27th Jul 2018, 13:35
This is the silly thing. You have had a few nights at home base and are now acclimatised. You then do a night turn or two, and even though you're then screwing with your body clock you remain acclimated. Go figure....

BobDole
27th Jul 2018, 13:46
IMO the whole idea of being unacclimatised off duty is insane. As the good book says you must have the condition of “duty period finishes” somewhere +2 hours. Last time I checked my off time is not a duty.

yardman
27th Jul 2018, 17:19
This is the silly thing. You have had a few nights at home base and are now acclimatised. You then do a night turn or two, and even though you're then screwing with your body clock you remain acclimated. Go figure....

A few years ago I had a discussion with the then Manager of Regulatory Affairs, BM, and questioned him about how doing three consecutive night terms could meet the definition of ‘uninterrupted night’s rest’. He said that this was the generally accepted interpretation of the UK CAA Fixed Wing Working Group. I thanked him and promptly called the CAA myself because I didn’t believe him. Although they didn’t refer to the ‘Fixed Wing Working Group’, the person I spoke with confirmed the interpretation. So as preposterous as it sounds, we can blame the Brits for this one as opposed to EK inventing a shafting on its own.

jarops
27th Jul 2018, 20:38
Thanks all for your replies. On the reserve month it is been like this, not only few nights/day stby. As I said just a thought... body is so f... up and no regulatory what so ever. I am NOT newby in this area of operation, but for sure you know the ”rules” in the ME. I had a chat with crew planner today... you know the rest... but he got the picture.... woke up 0440 LT fell in sleep again around 0900 LT... no calls for nice surprise, livingroom sofa felt comfortableunril 1330LT. Stby ended at 1400....