PDA

View Full Version : PDF Download issues

KelvinD
26th Jul 2018, 15:26
Starting this morning, I have found some bizarre behaviour when attempting to download PDF files from the web.
When I click on the link, Firefox goes into overdrive, opening new tabs, all pointing to my Uers/Temp directory. The first time this happened this morning, I had got as far as 98 new tabs opened, all claiming the file could not be found. And the only way to stop it is to kill Firefox.
Any clues anyone?

le Pingouin
26th Jul 2018, 15:45
Give this a go:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1022961

KelvinD
26th Jul 2018, 17:30
Thank you M. Le Pingouin. I shall give it a go. Strange though that I have been using Firefox to handle such files for ages.
Given the topic appears in the Mozilla forum back in 2014 makes me wonder I have upset Firefox. I shall have to check my current version.
Cheers
Kelvin

jimjim1
26th Jul 2018, 17:43
You tried a restart?

In Win 10 do a restart and NOT a shutdown then turn back on.

With default settings a Shutdown is a sort of hibernate and you don't get a full restart.

Of course there remains - the very slight possibility - of a transient hardware problem which would be resolved by a power off, so maybe you need to do the shutdown/power on before the restart to cover all bases.

Great isn't it?

If I was using windows 10, I would for sure disable the "Quick Start" option (I think it's called). This means that subsequent shutdowns result in full restarts. The power on sequence of course takes longer.

KelvinD
26th Jul 2018, 17:45
Win 10? No thanks. Being the luddite I am, I find Win 7 still works well for me so I "won't fix it until it is broken"!
I did a Firefox refresh though and all is now well again.
Thanks to both of you.