PDA

View Full Version : Odd question about onboard A380

oicur12.again
25th Jul 2018, 15:00
greetings all,

My folks flew yesterday from LHR to SFO on a BA A380. A nice experience by all accounts.

But.....

My folks (dad retired airline captain - all Boeing) reported that during the cruise black "soot" or "ash" was ejected from the aircon system.

Apparently a pilot came down to assist and the inflight crew placed sheets over the pax and seats to protect them from anymore gunk coming out, which did not occur.

I have never flown the 380 but several decades worth of 320/330 and never heard of black "soot" coming from the aircon system?

any clues?

cheers

DaveReidUK
25th Jul 2018, 16:03
Did the route take them anywhere near Iceland ? :O

oicur12.again
25th Jul 2018, 17:50
Ah yes, some volcanic ash. Lucky it was BA!!!

donpizmeov
26th Jul 2018, 05:27
Unless Willy has added a peat burning option instead of the hot air valve I don't know where ash would be coming from .A standard pack setup for aircon and pressurisation.

underfire
26th Jul 2018, 16:22
assuming they ever change the filters

3wheels
26th Jul 2018, 22:16
BA! Still at the top of my No Fly List. Especially after I paid sooo much to fly business class and they didn’t even have a tooth pick or floss.

Capt Fathom
26th Jul 2018, 22:32
BA! Still at the top of my No Fly List. Especially after I paid sooo much to fly business class and they didn’t even have a tooth pick or floss.

Yep. That would do it !! :rolleyes:

megan
26th Jul 2018, 23:57
they didn’t even have a tooth pick or floss Diddums. Only ever had the privilege of flying with BA once, in economy, and was the best flight ever.