PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Air leaving baggage behind on some flight?

Mark in CA
25th Jul 2018, 13:10
A couple days ago one of the local English-language publications here posted this article claiming the Ryan Air flights from Budapest the Majorca were departing without passengers' checked baggage, a result, it claims, of overweight conditions created by the carry-on luggage policy.

Ryanair Outrage at Budapest Airport (https://dailynewshungary.com/ryanair-outrage-at-budapest-airport/)

Then, yesterday, another article indicates the Hungarian government has launched some kind of legal procedure against the airline as a result of these baggage issues.

Budapaest Government Launches Procedure Against Ryanair (https://dailynewshungary.com/budapest-government-office-launches-procedure-against-ryanair/)

Is this yet another unintended consequence of the new carry-on rules that went into effect in January, perhaps made worse by the heavier volume of seasonal travel now?

Johnny F@rt Pants
26th Jul 2018, 09:33
Is this yet another unintended consequence of the new carry-on rules that went into effect in January, perhaps made worse by the heavier volume of seasonal travel now?

I don't work for :mad:air, but I do operate the same type of aeroplane. There is no way that they should be overweight going from BUD to PMI regardless of how much baggage there was.

Was this just one flight, or numerous? If it was one flight then perhaps there was some restriction in the hold that meant it wasn't usable???

easyflyer83
26th Jul 2018, 12:52
I agree with the other posters, perhaps one of the holds were out of action.

DaveReidUK
26th Jul 2018, 13:43
I don't work for :mad:air, but I do operate the same type of aeroplane. There is no way that they should be overweight going from BUD to PMI regardless of how much baggage there was.

True.

But they weren't going to Palma, they were going to Las Palmas (Gran Canaria). That's more than twice as far. :ugh:

Johnny F@rt Pants
26th Jul 2018, 15:16
But they weren't going to Palma, they were going to Las Palmas (Gran Canaria) That's not what the post says.....A couple days ago one of the local English-language publications here posted this article claiming the Ryan Air flights from Budapest the Majorca

Whether they were going from BUD to PMI or LPA they should still be able to get away with a full load of passengers, luggage and enough fuel to make it there and 1/2 way back.

DaveReidUK
26th Jul 2018, 15:22
Still not an issue on the 73-8.

Hmmm. I'd want to see the figures first, in particular the alternate Ryanair are using for Las Palmas and the MTOW at which they register their B738s

DaveReidUK
26th Jul 2018, 15:37
That's not what the post says.....

Click on the link in the first post:

"Last week, Ryanair had to inform passengers at Las Palmas that unfortunately, the plane failed to carry their luggage to the destination: while they were travelling to the Canary Islands, their luggage was left in Hungary."

Ryanair don't fly from BUD to PMI.

Mark in CA is a long way away, so we can excuse the Palma/Las Palmas confusion. :O

Whether they were going from BUD to PMI or LPA they should still be able to get away with a full load of passengers, luggage and enough fuel to make it there and 1/2 way back.

See my reply above.

As far as I'm aware, RYR don't use the 79t MTOW on the B738.

WHBM
26th Jul 2018, 17:17
A by no means unknown situation, and nothing to do with what is described above, but more prevalent on carriers with short turnrounds and/or crews scheduled to the hilt. Were the bags deliberately left off to save time getting ready for departure from Budapest. This is commonly concealed by blaming it on incompetence by the baggage loaders, where in practice it is a carrier decision to depart before the bags (or some of them) are loaded. Pax are never told.

Hopefully at least a scribbled update to the loadsheet. Complain to the Irish CAA and ask them to pull the Ryanair loadsheet for the flight in question.

Exup
26th Jul 2018, 17:20
MTOW 74990 kg with Ryanair.

DaveReidUK
26th Jul 2018, 17:57
MTOW 74990 kg with Ryanair.

Thanks for that. So around 4 tonnes down on the B738's certificated MTOW.

According to published Boeing figures, that gives around 1500 nm unrestricted range, beyond which payload limitations start to kick in.

Budapest-Las Palmas is 1990 nm.

Scinfaxi
26th Jul 2018, 19:45
Depending on aircraft MTOW will be either 74990 or 77990. I think some are also 71990 but will check fleet weights when I get back to work.
RTOWs also of 66990 and 69990. Gate bags/Free Gate Bags/whatever you want to call them, they are trim adjustment only up to the first 100. Thereafter must be included using standard hold luggage weight. You can fit about 150-160 bags in the front (varied hold and FGBs) and 30ish in H1. Same for the back. On a full flight with about 80 hold luggage pieces ZFW is around 59tonnes. Assuming mostly adults.

redsnail
27th Jul 2018, 17:58
I am not a Ryanair employee but it's possible they have reduced the MGTOW to reduce airways charges. It's a reasonably common practice amongst airlines. Whilst it's a paper exercise, you can't ignore that limit and fuel above it. Only downside is that if you use one of these aircraft on a route that is long, then you can get caught out. I wouldn't mind this is what happened. A bit unfortunate but other airlines have fallen foul of their own cost savings too.

Mark in CA
6th Aug 2018, 14:23
Ryanair don't fly from BUD to PMI.

Mark in CA is a long way away, so we can excuse the Palma/Las Palmas confusion. :O

Dave, I'm living in BUD now, so not far away, just confused! ;)

rog747
7th Aug 2018, 13:12
does seem ludicrous that a 738 even with 189 pax and bags would be WAT or MTOW limited on BUD-LPA however if the then hold loaded extra cabin baggage was phenomenal then perhaps....or if he was tankering fuel - no idea but all sounds a farce rather

at BMA we limited our 3 refurbished 707-320C's in 1982 to lower MTOW's on paper to use them on IT charters to the Med (so did Condor with their DC10's)
afaik we did not get caught out except on to be mindful on tankering fuel to save time down route with ATC delays or any fuel supply issues
i think we reduced the MTOW from 151000 kgs to 115000 kgs to save on landing fees