PDA

View Full Version : Apollo 15 flag handed to RAF

chopper2004
22nd Jul 2018, 16:00
I went to the US Pavillion to see Apollo veteran and ETPS graduate Lt Col (retd) Al Worden hand over the flag to CAS so here are my photos...

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1828/28677912117_892c38b569_k.jpg

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/932/29694176318_54c919de83_k.jpg

cheers

wub
22nd Jul 2018, 16:11
Can I ask why he handed the flag over?

chopper2004
22nd Jul 2018, 17:06
Can I ask why he handed the flag over?

It was to symbolise the partnership between us and the US ...and between the RAF and USAF...

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/apollo-mission-flag-presented-to-royal-air-force/

cheers

Ken Scott
22nd Jul 2018, 17:18
I understand that Col Worden is very much an Anglophile having done the ETPS cse & a tour at RAE Bedford (I believe). And considering how his own country treated him after the First Day Covers affair after his trip to the Moon...
His book, ‘Falling to Earth’ is well worth a read.

Chugalug2
22nd Jul 2018, 18:02
Presumably the flag that went down to the moon's surface in the lander from Apollo15 is still there, and this is another flag that did the round trip in Apollo itself?

Ken Scott
22nd Jul 2018, 18:46
Yes, the flag planted on the Moon is still there although sunlight will have baked it white by now. The flag presented to the RAF was carried in the Command Module.

MG
22nd Jul 2018, 19:04
Had the privilege of meeting him 2 years ago at Farnborough. He is a complete Anglophile and Evalu8tor and I really enjoyed chatting with him about his test pilot days at Farnborough.

Evalu8ter
22nd Jul 2018, 19:23
Indeed MG, IIRC between the several glasses of Pimms he mentioned enjoying having a cup of tea whilst flying the Viscount. In fact, we got so caught up talking about flying in the UK that we forgot to mention the moon......

Airbubba
23rd Jul 2018, 13:54
Had the privilege of meeting him 2 years ago at Farnborough. He is a complete Anglophile and Evalu8tor and I really enjoyed chatting with him about his test pilot days at Farnborough.

I chatted with Colonel Worden a couple of years ago as well. Former NASA Administrator (and Shuttle commander) Charlie Bolden was nice enough to invite me to an Atlas satellite launch at the Cape. I was in line to get a cup of coffee and struck up a conversation with the distinguished looking gentleman next to me. I didn't realize until afterward who he was and I think he got a chuckle out of the momentary anonymity.

Herod
23rd Jul 2018, 15:11
It's heartening to see that, despite the politicians, the ties between the services are still strong.

hunterboy
23rd Jul 2018, 15:12
I've met Al on a couple of occasions and would agree he is a credit to the piloting and astronaut fraternity. I can only hope the flag ends up in an RAF museum rather than the CAS office.
The Viscount story reminds me of a story recounted about Buzz flying a 787 Simulator recently and raving about the technology and how cool it was to fly......I guess these guys have ticked the Moon and Shuttle boxes and like to challenge themselves with new ideas and technology constantly rather than just live in the past.

wub
23rd Jul 2018, 17:41
It was to symbolise the partnership between us and the US ...and between the RAF and USAF...

https://www.raf.mod.uk/news/articles/apollo-mission-flag-presented-to-royal-air-force/

cheers

Thanks for the information

tdracer
23rd Jul 2018, 18:29

He has a pretty good book out there - "Falling To Earth" - worth the read.

MG
23rd Jul 2018, 20:16
He has a pretty good book out there - "Falling To Earth" - worth the read.

Yep, first thing I did after meeting him was to read his book, which he autographed for me.

MrBernoulli
23rd Jul 2018, 23:53
Yes, Al Worden did his test pilot course at Farnborough in 1964, as a member of 23 Fixed Wing course. Unusually, Al Worden and then Flt Lt Dave Bywater RAF tied for the Patuxent Shield, which is awarded to the runner-up position for best student on the ETPS course. Many of you will know of test pilot John Farley, who sadly passed away just last month, and he was also a Patuxent Shield winner, on 22 Fixed Wing Course in 1963.

I have the pleasure and honour of being custodian of Al Worden's pilot logbook from his ETPS course, for which Al later kindly provided an accompanying letter of provenance. It is a standard blue RAF pilot logbook, RAF Form 414, with monthly flying hour summaries, all signed by Al and many countersigned by Wg Cdr Stanley Hubbard, Chief Test Flying Instructor ETPS. A very quick browse through the logbook shows that Al flew the following eclectic mix of aircraft types during the course: Hunter, Meteor, Canberra, Chipmunk, piston Provost, Devon, Viscount, Scimitar, Dragonfly, Scout, and Seahawk!

Al always talks fondly of his time spent in the UK in 1964 and his continuing, regular visits to this country are testament to his Anglophile leanings. He is an absolute gent and if I can be half as active as he is, should I be fortunate to reach his current age of 86, I shall be very lucky indeed!