PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for Picture Manager

Buster11
22nd Jul 2018, 14:51
Since having to 'up-grade' (I use the term loosely...) from Windows XP to Windows 10 and Office 365, among many things no longer available is Picture Manager. It was simple, allowed one to do the basics, like re-sizing, cropping, tweaking contrast and exposure and, having done that, the resulting image could be easily dragged and dropped into a Publisher document.

Is there anything available (preferably f.o.c.) that is as useful for simple image manipulation, or should I just give up and await the next message from MS telling me that I am about to be compulsorily ''up-graded' with yet more frivolous nonsense that nobody but a self-obsessed teenager could possibly want?

BEagle
22nd Jul 2018, 16:35
I had the same issue. But it is possible to install Picture Manager as a download application from Microsoft - see https://support.office.com/en-ie/article/where-is-picture-manager-58837c3e-34db-4904-95e8-4eca7b7c5730

I did that and it works just as well as ever!

Buster11
22nd Jul 2018, 17:48
Many thanks Beags; I'll give that a try, though in the majority of contacts between me and assorted would-be downloads there is either a question which totally flummoxes me, or else when the download seems to have ended it has then vanished somewhere in the imponderable innards of my computer.

The concept of "If it ain't bust, don't fix it" seems to have evaded Microsoft. However, I'll think positive, cross fingers and get stuck in.

Buster11
23rd Jul 2018, 10:34
Beags, you're a star! Picture Manager is up and running, though in a rather different form from its previous incarnation. Many thanks; you've made an incomputerate old fuddy-duddy very happy.

dook
23rd Jul 2018, 16:01
I have Windows 10 and Paint is already installed. It's fairly basic but does simple jobs well.

On my old machine I have the full Photoshop suite installed from when I did professional graphics. Pricey but is the guv'nor.

Lantern10
23rd Jul 2018, 21:38
I use Picasa and have for a few years now.

BEagle
23rd Jul 2018, 21:59
Buster11, I'm glad that it worked for you!

Now if only I could find a way to restore the original PhotoEditor, Outlook Express and Autoroute, all of which the MS geeks have killed off....:(