PDA

View Full Version : In my last 12 months in the RAF I will...

r2_unit
21st Jul 2018, 14:58
Just over a year left. My list so far:

Complete that sailing qualification I’ve been meaning to do for years.
Go to a Royal garden party with Mrs r2 and some friends.

Any more ideas?

dook
21st Jul 2018, 15:34
Go to a Royal garden party with Mrs r2 and some friends.

How will you do that?

Ken Scott
21st Jul 2018, 16:07
Resettlement?

MPN11
21st Jul 2018, 16:52
Retrospectively, my last year was micromanaging my assorted leave entitlements and an overseas shooting competition, so that when I received my Redundancy Letter from my SASO (on 15 Aug 93) I could exchange that for a Leave Pass that covered everything (bar the duty shooting bit) that covered me until my last day on 20 Jan 94. I cleared the last bits from my office, had a coffee in the HQ ‘crewroom’ and drove home.
I was FREEEEEE!!

You may note I had had enough by then, after 29 years.

camelspyyder
21st Jul 2018, 17:26
...stack together all my annual, terminal, podl and carried forward leave, along with my full resettlement allowance, then walk out the door 6 months early and never look back.

MPN11
21st Jul 2018, 17:32
...stack together all my annual, terminal, podl and carried forward leave, along with my full resettlement allowance, then walk out the door 6 months early and never look back.
Damn ... I only managed 5 months off!

But it had been a lot of fun over the 29 years, and I think I did quite well from it. Would I do it again? Yes, if I could start again back in the 60s!!

H Peacock
21st Jul 2018, 18:04
Tower Bridge? Or do you operate something a tad too large to add some dynamics to a more spirited RAF100 Flypast??

Pontius Navigator
21st Jul 2018, 18:45
The Royal Garden Party is the difficult one. I don't manage that but I did get 4 weeks resettlement in India on Rate 1s.

MPN11
21st Jul 2018, 19:07
Not sure I would want to stand in the Buck House garden for a few hours in the faint prospect of being introduced to HM.

Anyway, I have ticked a few Royals over the years (HMQ, 1962, CCF Guard of Honour) and standing around to tick another isn’t my scene :)

NutLoose
21st Jul 2018, 22:07
Old chap I knew having been told on his last day as a traffic cop that he couldn't leave until his in tray was cleared promptly shredded the contents of it at 5pm before departing on time. :)

Bob Viking
22nd Jul 2018, 02:29
Ignore BGG. I’m sure you’re doing plenty of planning ahead. For now though milk it for all its worth.

If you haven’t already done so might I suggest getting on a Snow Eagle trip (free skiing) or the ski champs (not free but bloody good fun).

BV

The Old Fat One
22nd Jul 2018, 02:42

This. In my case 191 days.

Also, I worked full time in another (civil service) job throughout the period, much to the chagrin of the unit Resettlement Officer. I Also agree with the don't look back part (well maybe just a little) but don't be bitter about your time in the mob, whatever the reason for leaving because that is just sad.

Live in the present, plan for the future, treasure the past.

VinRouge
22nd Jul 2018, 10:19
This. In my case 191 days.

Also, I worked full time in another (civil service) job throughout the period, much to the chagrin of the unit Resettlement Officer. I Also agree with the don't look back part (well maybe just a little) but don't be bitter about your time in the mob, whatever the reason for leaving because that is just sad.

The Aldershot training courses are excellent. Consider getting qualified to do electrical home installation and keep the tick, it can save you and family a fortune in the long run.

Be quite hard over with line management about what you want in your last year too.

Mogwi
22nd Jul 2018, 10:23
Do NOT volunteer for an air-test on your last afternoon! I did (so that I could do a V low-level pass over the ex Mrs Mog) and ended up with no pitch control when the pitch trim motor malfunctioned and jammed solid in a 70degree screaming dive. Luckily all those boring hours on CAP, trying to fly patterns with only rudder, nozzles and throttle to turn the corners, paid off and I managed to RTB and land safely, if not very prettily!

Swing the lamp!

r2_unit
22nd Jul 2018, 15:51
Great ideas and some good bants.

BGG - post airforce plans already well developed thanks 😁

Tower bridge is tempting but I’m not sure my big old girl would fit under it!

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jul 2018, 15:58
I know there have been lots of talk about retired ID cards etc but how about Mess Membership?

Serving officers will know about all the levels of mess membership and will have met a number of honorary members that have been duly elected (or even black balled).

What are the views on applying for honorary membership at your local mess with attendance at dining in nights, cocktail party and balls? I have my views, what of yours?

I know BGG would say, never look back.

BEagle
22nd Jul 2018, 16:28
...stack together all my annual, terminal, podl and carried forward leave, along with my full resettlement allowance, then walk out the door 6 months early and never look back. This. In my case 191 days.

In my case 120. I was already working under a QR which allows 'part-time work outside duty hours', a Flt Cdr mate had signed the form whilst my boss (tosseur) was on leave...;) So I wasn't interested in any resettlement course.

Get a year planner, work out the exact number of days from your exit (including all public holidays etc), clear your desk / office, hand in your crummy watch and say a fond farewell to your NBC kit and ID card. Then go.

Absolutely right, TOFO!

Another thing you might wish to consider is BUPA membership on the Armed Forces scheme before you leave - it's a lot cheaper than the civilian rate and continues even in retirement.

Think before you ever consider applying for honorary mess membership - as reader8 stated: Only works for two types, tedious ones who everybody wishes would leave and absolute legends after 40 years in.

I recall the actual date of my exit - it corresponded with the first of many Business Class trips to Germany for the next 15 years or so. Which rather made the pain of leaving CCS, RAFFT and sundry embuggerances behind me somewhat less.

Just beware of Income Tax for your first couple of years of self-employment until the system settles down - although you'll probably be over-assessed to begin with, but the eventual tax refund cheque will be very pleasant!

NutLoose
22nd Jul 2018, 18:38
Do they still do resettlement briefings from industry etc, I managed to get myself on lots of them, with the warrants, mileage claims and rate ones, I racked up a lot of extra cash.

If one was available I would go on it, I even managed to attend a working in the nuclear industry 2 day course that required experience, I was asked if I had any and I ticked the box yes but couldn't discuss it... They were thinking nuclear reactors and I was thinking bombs... But I got the pretty interesting course and of course the financial benefit.

OldAgeandTreachery
22nd Jul 2018, 18:43
----- look after ME.
As has been said: get all your various leaves and authorised absences sorted. Everything should be about you, after all the job has been King for years and it's time for it to give something back.

NutLoose
22nd Jul 2018, 18:54
a year planner, work out the exact number of days from your exit (including all public holidays etc), clear your desk / office, hand in your crummy watch and say a fond farewell to your NBC kit and ID card. Then go.

Steady on there, see how much it will cost you Not to hand in your watch, I would imagine the RAF has some fixed low price for lost or misplaced watches and they do go for over a grand on evilbay these days, version dependant..

MPN11
22nd Jul 2018, 19:04
What watch?

All I had was a collection of chinagraph pens, which were Class C stores anyway!

VinRouge
22nd Jul 2018, 19:05
Steady on there, see how much it will cost you Not to hand in your watch, I would imagine the RAF has some fixed low price for lost or misplaced watches and they do go for over a grand on evilbay these days, version dependant..
Mine lasted 15 minutes in the Linton bar. Conkers.

NutLoose
22nd Jul 2018, 19:23
What watch?

All I had was a collection of chinagraph pens, which were Class C stores anyway!

Ahh. The good old stores system, my VC10 headset was class B, so I simply ordered the sum of it's parts that were all class C and assembled it myself, all of us that ran them did. :)

PlasticCabDriver
22nd Jul 2018, 19:50
...stack together all my annual, terminal, podl and carried forward leave, along with my full resettlement allowance...

then went down to PSF and got the P2 clerk to check it, she found an extra couple of days I had missed, then got her to enter it into JPA so there were no mistakes. Got about 4.5 months in total. Started new job with 2 months to go, figured that despite all the regs telling me I wasn’t allowed to once I went out the gate for the last time no one would give a **** whether I turned left or right.

fantom
22nd Jul 2018, 19:58
Plenty of time to get checked out on the Typhoon.

Pontius Navigator
22nd Jul 2018, 20:30
On honourary membership we termed it Klingons. I once had the displeasure of sitting next to one that was not even ex-service. Conversation elicited a number of one word answers. Eventing I asked who had sponsored him. He mentioned a former flt cdr who had never served at this mess :(

EESDL
23rd Jul 2018, 02:48
Went and did ‘The Dunker’ for 5hits and giggles.
Was too busy obtaining type ratings to worry about taking the missus to a garden party but those who have gone all say it’s good fun.
Not sure anybody noticed I had left - which was the whole point - I was just grateful to get away without being caught and in one piece.
through adversity, to the stars......

Pontius Navigator
23rd Jul 2018, 06:45
a

knew a sqn ldr ops who worked in to his terminal leave and no time for resettlement just to complete the stn war plan before a Taceval. At least he had the grateful thanks of the stn cdr for a job well done. 😕

Onceapilot
23rd Jul 2018, 09:21
Ahh. The good old stores system, my VC10 headset was class B, so I simply ordered the sum of it's parts that were all class C and assembled it myself, all of us that ran them did. :)

Good, but did you know: "Ahh. The good old stores system, the VC10 was class B, so I simply ordered the sum of it's parts that were all class C and assembled it myself, all of us that fixed them did. :)"

:)

OAP

sidewayspeak
23rd Jul 2018, 09:37
Put yourself first in everything you do as soon as you enter your last year.

I took my option in October, and in April following year I secured a good job and they were willing to wait 3 months until July. After putting my resettlement, terminal and annual leave together, I was short about three weeks. My boss took the view that I have given 22 years, so 3 weeks gardening leave was neither here nor there.

MPN11
23rd Jul 2018, 09:57
I had plenty of time during my last few months. AOC gave me a project, with the resulting paper to be delivered 3 months hence. I guess the task took me 3-4 weeks in real terms, including a few visits to other HQs and units!

Union Jack
23rd Jul 2018, 11:43
Eventing I asked who had sponsored him. He mentioned a former flt cdr who had never served at this mess :(

I appreciate that you are a man of many talents, PN, but I must admit that I never had you down as an "equestrian triathlete"!

ack

charliegolf
23rd Jul 2018, 11:59
I appreciate that you are a man of many talents, PN, but I must admit that I never had you down as an "equestrian triathlete"!

ack

PENTathlete. Think about it UJ, he's a former mil officer: sword, tick, gun, tick swim (dunker) tick. Only leaves run (mmm) and the horsey bit you just spotted. Tick.:ok:

CG

Sandy Parts
23rd Jul 2018, 12:37
Don't forget to apply for your pension (if applicable) - not automatic - you have to ask for it. Enjoyed my Aldershot sparky courses (did all including Inspect and Test) - helped me self-fix a few times since. Like the rest of Service Life, 'resettlement' is what you make it - who wouldn't take advantage of free/heavily subsidised courses/events? Good Luck (from someone in, then out, then back in again...)

Percy Cute
25th Jul 2018, 08:57
................switch the light out?

John Eacott
25th Jul 2018, 09:56
Come the time to visit stores/safety equipment to return any flying clothing, leave it all outside the door and ask them to itemise what is due back (ie still signed out).

I walked away with a full flying clothing grip plus my bone dome: about the only non consumables to be returned were my goon suit and one flying overall. Oh, and two string vests plus two pairs of boxer shorts issued years earlier at BRNC!!

rolling20
25th Jul 2018, 10:57
Ex UAS. I walked away with my service shoes, my gloves, both for the wearing of and my white leather flying ones and my service belt. I desperately wanted to keep my cold weather flying jacket, but had to hand it in. I coveted one for twenty odd years. Imagine my delight some years ago, when they started popping up on EBay. Imagine my disappointment when my 48inch chest didn't fit into the largest size available!

salad-dodger
25th Jul 2018, 21:55
Think I keep my holdall and not very much else.

Dan Winterland
26th Jul 2018, 04:43
Do NOT volunteer for an air-test on your last afternoon! Excellent advice Mogwi. I just wish I had received it all those years ago. My last flight (an airtest) ended up in an asymmetric flapless landing. The fire trucks that followed me down the runway were then available to hose me down after the event. I also managed to use my 4 months terminal and resettlement leave working for my next employer. The only issue is that after three months, they made me redundant. It's quite an achievement being made redundant from your first airline job before you have left the RAF. And I had also been tasked with a service paper to complete before the final official date. I finished it in a hotel room on a New York layover and signed it Dan Winterland, First Officer, Virgin Atlantic Airways. My boss left it like that and that's how it ended up on file.

NutLoose
26th Jul 2018, 20:44
I got stuffed onto a Royal prep on a Ten, but sated my disappointment by doing a rather loud multi engine ground run during the strictly verboten Staishes church parade period.

BEagle
27th Jul 2018, 07:04
I got stuffed onto a Royal prep on a Ten, but sated my disappointment by doing a rather loud multi engine ground run during the strictly verboten Staishes church parade period.

What an utterly childish display of petulance.

Pontius Navigator
27th Jul 2018, 07:25
May be but he wasn't alone.

"One up, all up". "The sound of freedom". The asymmetric overshoot at 2300 or later. The dazzling tight circuit and short landing to get on the taxyway in front of the Lightning that cut him up.

Many of you do it.

That last by a sqn ldr that became a standing courts martial president.

NutLoose
27th Jul 2018, 13:17
Only engine trade on the VIP prep cleared for ground running and hence why I was on it, aircraft required oils re-establishing before departure (every 28 days), ATC was not required for permission for ground runs, they were simply notified as a courtesy over the radio or if we required fire cover for high power runs. Eng ops was, but it was a Royal flight and required, so it was the only real dispensation you could normally get, unless we carried out a parallel start with a departing jet out of hours, which we often did at night.

Really, rather like the Phantom at Saints between the sheds, where some poor sod broke a leg because of it, or the Jaguar at Colt on the taxyway that nearly hit a car.... shall I go on, mine made a noise and gave God something better to listen too than the padre droning on, theirs nearly killed people!

Yellow Sun
27th Jul 2018, 13:41
Spend your last 12 months doing your best to ensure that you make the best possible preparation for the rest of your life. When you go, GO. Don’t look back but put all your efforts into your new career whatever that may be. Although I maintained contact with friends in the service I deliberately avoided reunions, squadron associations and the like and concentrated on my new life. After 5 years I felt sufficiently removed from the service to decide what connections I would wish to make and very selectively established them.

Enjoy life,

YS

MPN11
27th Jul 2018, 16:01
Well said, YS ... exactly what we did. No link to the past, we both looked to the future. It’s only in the last couple of years that we have re-established contact with some other oldies from the old days ... and they are few.

Forgive me for saying this, but RBL and RAFA make me shiver ... people who (some of them) do good work, but mostly totally living in the past instead of today and tomorrow.

NutLoose
27th Jul 2018, 16:45
Agreed, went to the Christmas party 2 weeks after I left and bar my photography at Cosford and Waddington, I have not stepped back on an RAF station since. I have been contacted by a couple of old friends and also contacted one... but that is it, agree about the RAFA etc, It was like my smoking, my resettlement period was over Christmas, so I said to myself on new years eve, that's the RAF done with and these too... never smoked since.

Pontius Navigator
27th Jul 2018, 20:04
My daughter was visiting my last station and I was invited to lunch. Big smiles, welcome back, pleased to see you - from the staff!

Out is out. Out the gate, out of touch. Stay out.

Do meet old friends from time to time but when I was had never been one of the topics.

Haraka
28th Jul 2018, 17:33
I PVR'd and went quietly. Twice.

NutLoose
28th Jul 2018, 18:26
Did you get a refund for the first PVR when you rejoined?

Two's in
28th Jul 2018, 18:34
r2 - Your ultimate goal after leaving should be that people have to guess whether you were previously in the Armed Forces. If it's that obvious, you never really left....

Haraka
28th Jul 2018, 18:42
"Did you get a refund for the first PVR when you rejoined?"
Nope.

Teamchief
28th Jul 2018, 22:19

Well said Nut loose re St Athan fly by etc, that will always be the difference between commissioned hi jinx and non commissioned bad behaviour.

On a different note, when handing my kit in the young stores person asked.......what are these Chief? My issue Puttees and balaclava I replied. It then hit home that it was time to go!

Pantrash
28th Jul 2018, 23:23
Have to agree with Nutty and Teamchief
The things I saw when I served that were acceptable for the commissioned ranks, that would have warranted an investigation from PNSS for OR were manyfold.
I respect a lot of what Beagle posts on here, being Ex-Victor groundcrew, but that comes over as beyond pompous
Let him without sin......

ImageGear
29th Jul 2018, 05:42
Please excuse my pedantry however the thread was entitled...

....In my last 12 months I will....etc,etc. Not "I did" during my last 12 months

If this was a troll to discover who might be soon be seeking greener pastures, it has failed miserably. Seems like almost everyone has already gone. :ok:

...and I was in on Friday and gone by Monday. Had one regret but could not drag it back to cancel half a line. No regrets since.

IG

rolling20
29th Jul 2018, 06:26
Really, rather like the Phantom at Saints between the sheds, where some poor sod broke a leg because of it!
Nut, when was the Phantom ‘display’? Circa 82 I witnessed a similar performance there, just wondered if it was the same one?

Pontius Navigator
29th Jul 2018, 06:37
r2 - Your ultimate goal after leaving should be that people have to guess whether you were previously in the Armed Forces. If it's that obvious, you never really left....
Like it.

Except if you were a Harrier pilot.

Earlier this year, at a pub having supper, man at next table impressing his date "I was . . . "

PARALLEL TRACK
30th Jul 2018, 07:07
Rant on
I often sit I in the cheap seats on stuff like this and chuckle at some of the comments, however not WRT to one comment on this thread. The RBL and the people who work for them are IMHO beyond reproach. They are the go-to organisation when it comes to all matters medical discharge and numerous other issues. It is however shameful that the so-called HR elements of the UK military, the MOD and in particular Veterans UK do not operate in the same professional, compassionate and empathetic manner! If you make comments like this then you truly do not know the RBL and all it stands for. No direct dealings with RAFA but I know some great people still in the Service who support them by raising money.
Rant off

nan2002
31st Jul 2018, 19:52
In my last year I will.....Get deployed to the ME for a nostalgia tour. Although as it's a 6 week exercise and not an op deployment apparently that's ok. Just happens to coincide with some non-frequent resettlement stuff I would rather be doing. Hey ho!

NutLoose
31st Jul 2018, 20:53
Can you not put in a formal complaint, I would hint to the person sending you on it to expect the basic permitted performance. Fight for it, it is your future at stake, not theirs.

Prangster
31st Jul 2018, 21:01
Frst let me don my tin hat and take shelter. Yes you're leaving, many of you with goodish pensions (wait for it). Let me outline my travails as a part time peguin and full time civvy.
If you think the RAF can be a scummy number, for that's what comes across then I assure you civvy st is no bed of roses. Work for Rolls Royce,check...but they went bust in 1970 chucking a lot of us on an already crowded jobs market. One company I worked for I found the directors with their fingers in the pensions till, two others were sold out from under me as yes, you got it the directors, sold out took the money and ran. In both cases they sold going concerns to competitiors who promptly closed down their new aquisition. Result penny pinched scattered pension and not much to show for 46 years on the coal face of industry. Compared to that 12 years VRT service seemed magical

NutLoose
31st Jul 2018, 21:13
Ahhh RR...... just laid off 4000 staff while building a new hangar at EGNX for the corporate jet and the two Spitfires that haven't flown for years.