PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think Farnborough's Cr*p?

BroomstickPilot
21st Jul 2018, 09:26
Hi Guys,

I have lived fairly close to Farnborough for over 30 years. Attending the bi-annual Farnborough Air Show has been one of my regular summer treats for a very long time. In more recent years, however, I have gradually become aware that each Farnborough is poorer than the last. I wonder whether the time has come to knock it on the head?

Yesterday, I attended their so called 'Fab Friday'. The flying display was supposed to start at 1:30 p.m. and last until about 5 p.m. In fact by just after 4 p.m. I was on the shuttle bus heading back to the car park to go home disappointed and bored stiff.

In the mid eighties, when I started to attend, you saw the latest developments in aviation technology from numerous countries. The programme would be so packed that no sooner would one demonstrating aircraft depart the active runway, having completed its performance, than the landing lights of the next performer would be seen over the approach. There were no purely 'entertainment' turns then, other than the genuinely historic appearances by, say, the Battle of Britain Flight the Red Arrows and Concorde.

Yesterday, however, there were long delays between each performance, suggesting they were having to spread the performances out in order to fill the time. The advertising was misleading too because it seemed to me to suggest there would be an appearance by the Airlander (flyng ar6eh0le). In fact that very afternoon the Airlander made its very first short flight around Cardington having just undergone extensive repair after its recent crash landing. And there were things on the programme that really belong in ordinary regional air shows and not at Farnborough, such as 'The Blades' (good though they are) and the wing walkers. The only really interesting new aircraft I saw yesterday were the A350 and an autogyro.

I won't be going again: it's not worth the money.

BP.

chevvron
21st Jul 2018, 10:12
In the mid eighties, when I started to attend, you saw the latest developments in aviation technology from numerous countries. The programme would be so packed that no sooner would one demonstrating aircraft depart the active runway, having completed its performance, than the landing lights of the next performer would be seen over the approach. There were no purely 'entertainment' turns then, other than the genuinely historic appearances by, say, the Battle of Britain Flight the Red Arrows and Concorde.

I designed the display programme from 1976 to 2004 incl and made sure it was always fast moving; something in the sky at all times for the spectators to see. I was invited to a RIAT once (when it was still at Greenham) and was appalled at the huge gaps between display items; I reckon I could have easily cut about an hour off their running time.
For 2006, SBAC formed a separate company (Farnborough International) to run the air show; this included employing their own display desgner rather than rely on me to do it as a 'secondary duty' to my ATC duties.
I tried to explain to this person how the Farnborough display was done but he refused all my inputs, claiming he was experienced in 'big'displays and knew what he was doing.
I didn't bother for 2008 and in any case I retired soon afterwards.
By the way, there were always extra bits for the public days ie fri/sat/sun.

Hotel Tango
21st Jul 2018, 11:06
It certainly isn't what it used to be by a long way, which is why I haven't been in a long time.

DaveReidUK
21st Jul 2018, 12:33
I've attended about three-quarters of the shows since 1968, first as an enthusiast, then as an interested industry professional including several shows as a exhibitor, which were fun, particularly the time I flew on board during the flying display (before that was stamped on). For the last 20-odd years I've alternated between attending as a trade visitor, watching the flying display over the fence and, most recently, failing to summon up the enthusiasm to do either.

I haven't been this time around as I know I'd have been bored to tears. Though if I'd known in advance about that Hercules display ...

abgd
22nd Jul 2018, 00:49
I've been going for the past 8 years and have been increasingly disappointed on each occasion. I have a friend who lives close by who I go with and it was pleasant to sit in the sun and watch the planes go by. Some nice vintage types - so it wasn't a wasted day - but I doubt if I'll go again.

For the first time I bought some seats in the runway enclosure - there was a huge and unexpected queue to get in, and we missed the first 45 minutes of the display. Then, as Chevvron alluded to, there were some big gaps in the display. Not quite so big that there was time to go off and look at the static displays, but big enough to wonder whether it could really have been planned that way or whether one of the aircraft might have gone tech (couldn't find a timetable included with my programme).

As for the display - it was fine as far as it went, but you got the impression they were struggling to fill the time available. Lots of waiting about for the air race aircraft pylons to be prepared and dismantled, twice. It would have been nice to see a few more experimental aircraft such as the Airbus electric trainer or perhaps a Kamov helicopter or the e-volo or perhaps an Airbus 220. The commentary, to the extent that I listened to it, was risible. Some of the facts and figures in the guidebook seemed unlikely - e.g. wrong speeds and first flight dates for the Spitfire mk26. The Red Arrows basically took off, showed that they could make some smoke, and landed.

Had the display become less exciting as a result of the Shoreham incident? Perhaps, but at the same time it just didn't feel particularly well organised or inspired. Too much emphasis on vintage piston types (much as I like them) and not enough on the newer or more experimental.

bobward
22nd Jul 2018, 09:46
Like Dave R I made my first visit here in 1968, and have been to all the shows since then. I guess the reason why you go will effect your view of the show. Since my hobby is aviation photography, the chance to see the odd type of either airliner or military machine makes me want to continue going. Sadly, they are often parked jam packed making pictures almost impossible. Add the thousands who attend on the public days and it's a 'forget it' situation. Having managed to get trade tickets for the last few years encourages me to keep visiting.

However, I do find that there is an 'us and you' attitude on the trade days. They will allow the odd oike (like me) in, but unless you are going to buy the latest Gulfstream forget it... I'm firmly convinced that the public days are there to pay for the boys bun-fight the rest of the week. Most business seems to be done Monday to Friday, so after then a lot of the more interesting aircraft will head home.

I had a look at the planned flying for the trade day I visited. There was very little that I thought worth staying for, so I left around 1300, after a turn around the static park. I was sad to see that the two Spanish Harriers had been stashed away, out of sight for some reason. Probably nobody wanted to overshadow the F35 flypast on the programme.

Compared to 1968, the show is very different, but then so is aviation. Enjoy it whilst you can as sooner or later Elfan is going to stop just about every fun activity there once was!

chevvron
22nd Jul 2018, 14:51
I've attended about three-quarters of the shows since 1968, first as an enthusiast, then as an interested industry professional including several shows as a exhibitor, which were fun, particularly the time I flew on board during the flying display (before that was stamped on). For the last 20-odd years I've alternated between attending as a trade visitor, watching the flying display over the fence and, most recently, failing to summon up the enthusiasm to do either.

I haven't been this time around as I know I'd have been bored to tears. Though if I'd known in advance about that Hercules display ...
The ban on 'extra' people on board whilst displaying was certainly in force in '74. I think it came in after the Atlantic crash in ''68.
Only 'normal' crew required to operate the aircraft were allowed on board during a display (unless your name was Raymond Baxter) which rather disappointed one of the Farnborough test pilots in '74; he had befriended the F15 pilot who had agreed to take him up but OC Flying very firmly said no.
The Farnborough test pilot involved was the one who landed the Beverly at Paull (just 670m long) a few weeks previously and he later became OC Flying Farnborough himself.

Notso Fantastic
22nd Jul 2018, 18:38
I have just returned home from a completely wasted day at the Farnborough Air show. They must not put this on any more! Groupon were knocking out tickets at £40 each. Had I actually paid for a public show ticket, I would feel totally ripped off! Whatever has happened to the Farnborough show? A bunch of warbirds and vintage to pad out the program, a dogfight of WW1 fighters, an A350 was the only jetliner there (good display). The Spanish Harrier put on quite a good show- such a pity ours were dumped shortly after their major upgrade many years ago- what a magnificent and brilliant aeroplane, Red Arrows display over by lunchtime with just a departure at 4.45, massive gaps in the program, great display by a USAF F16, poor pilot dragged in for a second display later on, but still a 34 year old aeroplane, nothing from our pathetic RAF but a Typhoon static display! Where was an F34 showing the British taxpayer what his money was being spent on, RAF helicopters showing us what they do for our money, Tornado showing us what idiots our politicians are for cancelling this program? I feel aggrieved- a pathetic show, thank goodness I didn't pay £40 to come to this cr*p to be ripped off by £4 icecreams that Tesco is selling for about 35p each! Disgusting. Walking through the trade halls, there was little to see by the public, particularly on the public Sunday where people dig deep into their pockets!

This is not funny- fort the self respect of the British aviation industry, this humiliating pile of ordure should not be staged again! The public must not be ripped off like this- it was obscene. The Paris Airshow organisers must be lying on their backs incontinent with derision. I will never grace their entrance again. At least we weren't ripped off by car park fees as well. Over the last year I have been to Bournemouth (free!) & Duxford Airshows, and a couple of great smaller local museums. The age of the grand SBAC Airshow has passed- it makes you slightly sick to recall how it was in the 50s and 60s. This format at Farnborough has utterly failed- don't humiliate us like this any further. Keep it trade maybe, but don't entice the public to cough up so much money and be ripped off like this!

DaveReidUK
22nd Jul 2018, 19:07
The ban on 'extra' people on board whilst displaying was certainly in force in '74. I think it came in after the Atlantic crash in ''68.

Yes, I had a feeling that was the case. My ride was in the mid/late 80s, probably '86 or '88, so I won't say any more about it except that it was an eye-opener to see how hard the two guys up front worked to make sure that they stuck exactly to the planned display routine.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Jul 2018, 19:49
I feel sorry to hear that both 'Fab Friday' and the weekend shows were deemed lacking by those who went...My visit on the tuesday was lacking, but I thought on the way home that 'those lucky buggers on the weekend will have the best of it....Sadly not the case. Perhaps, as suggested, it should just be a trade only show and leave it at that.

exeng
22nd Jul 2018, 20:51
I was thoroughly disappointed with today's show. I left at about 15:00 hrs as I found the majority of the display utterly boring.

I won't be attending again. RIAT is generally a very good day so I'll stick to that.

kind regards
Exeng

PDR1
22nd Jul 2018, 21:06

Are you sure? I though the rule was brought in after Don Bullock crashed the A26 at Biggen in 1980 - he had several passengers on board at the time (one was a friend of mine).

PDR

WIDN62
22nd Jul 2018, 21:12
Yesterday was my last visit to the Farnborough Air Show!
It has gone rapidly downhill over the years. Where would yesterday have been without the various contributions from the Red Bulls and the Spanish Harrier? The F-16 was OK - but twice?? The USAF commentator stuck religiously to his script, including talking us through the vertical manoeuvres the pilot could clearly not fly due to the cloud base.
As short a time ago as 2006 I took part in the display. We were parked northside amongst dozens of other participants. You had a slot time to take off, go away and hold, start at this time, finish at that time, etc. If you didn't make the times you were scrubbed. The gaps in the flying display this year were an embarrassment.
Having walked the static from west to east, I was near the exit at about 1500 and there were masses of the general public leaving even then - I wonder how many of them will be back in 2 years time!

abgd
22nd Jul 2018, 22:31
So it seems I wasn't the only one who felt this way.
I don't think it was the post Shoreham caution that made the display lame, though I would have liked to see some classic jets. The F16 and Harrier performances were spirited. The A350 gave a nice display, not at all inferior to A380 performances in previous years. The Red Arrows' display was clearly very limited and I believe they have been forced to tone down their display over built up areas.
For me, the disappointment was in not seeing any of the more modern aircraft. Have we given up trying to export the Eurofighter? Does nobody want to show off the F35? Are electric trainer aircraft too lame to be allowed to fly? There are some really interesting aircraft such as the EHang or EVolo that I would like to see. Perhaps they're not all ready for public demonstrations yet, but I will need to see something more interesting than an F16 to entice me back to the next show.

Wycombe
23rd Jul 2018, 07:01
I've lived in or near the Farnborough area all of my life (was first shaken out of my pram by sonic booms in the '60's!), but this was the first time I've not bothered to go anywhere near it. Sad that the weekend flying display largely doesn't reflect what Farnborough should be all about.

stagger
23rd Jul 2018, 08:14
The flying display was a bit limited. But the A350-1000 was very impressive.

As noted above - there wasn't much there from the RAF. But the USAF made it worthwhile for the kids - with static displays giving them the chance to get inside a C17, C130, Chinook and an Apache.

Although it was a tad unnerving standing in front of an Apache's cannon with a kid in the cockpit fiddling with the buttons!

KelvinD
23rd Jul 2018, 14:47
stagger: Was the A350 display around 15:10?
The reason I ask is I was on the M3, around the are of Hook and spotted this thing making some impressive turns over the Farnborough area. A bit further along the road and it did it again. Because of the haze, I couldn't make out what it was, although the colour scheme seemed to be the Airbus one.
It doesn't seem so long ago when it was "nice" to see an A350 at Heathrow. Yesterday I clocked at least 6 of them arriving at Heathrow over a 6 hour period.
Oops! I just realised I should have said "around 14:10". I was at Heathrow at 15:00!

Old Photo.Fanatic
23rd Jul 2018, 15:01
Wycombe. post 15.
Are you sure about sonic booms in the 60s?

I went to the 1954 display on the public Saturday, 5+ Sonic booms from 5 aircraft.... Hunter, DH110, Supermarine 525, Swift(535), Javelin.
As I recall it was the final week end of the three years Sound Barrier"Trials". After which "No More" at Farnborough.
Open to correction , but maybe you heard the afterburner coming in on the fast jets in the 60s during their display.

OPF

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Jul 2018, 15:44
Weren't there sonic boom trials by RAF Lightnings over the London area to see how possible Concorde booms might affect the populace, somewhere in the 60's ?

stagger
23rd Jul 2018, 17:13
stagger: Was the A350 display around 15:10?
The reason I ask is I was on the M3, around the are of Hook and spotted this thing making some impressive turns over the Farnborough area. A bit further along the road and it did it again. Because of the haze, I couldn't make out what it was, although the colour scheme seemed to be the Airbus one.
It doesn't seem so long ago when it was "nice" to see an A350 at Heathrow. Yesterday I clocked at least 6 of them arriving at Heathrow over a 6 hour period.
Oops! I just realised I should have said "around 14:10". I was at Heathrow at 15:00!

Yes - the A350-1000 was indeed around 14:10 with an Airbus paint job.

There's a video on Youtube from the previous day's display...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FBLVGFQciM

KelvinD
23rd Jul 2018, 22:36
Thanks stagger. A nice aeroplane and those banks looked impressive when viewed from the motorway, about 10 miles away. I just realised I photographed Qatar's A7-ANA on 13th June and still haven't processed the photos!

ZFT
23rd Jul 2018, 23:17
Weren't there sonic boom trials by RAF Lightnings over the London area to see how possible Concorde booms might affect the populace, somewhere in the 60's ?
1966 or 67. Diana Riggs brother was the pilot if memory is correct

chevvron
24th Jul 2018, 13:49
Summer of '68 there was one. Hot day and I heard what I thought was a distant boom of thunder, then when I met the late Honey Monster that evening at the ATC Squadon, he asked if anyone heard it. He was already an ATCO at Farnborough and it was Farnborough's Lightning on that occasion starting over Reading and heading east..
Otherwise overland 'booms' were banned apart from one specific area used by RAE Bedford; the Bedford Levels. It was still notified in the Bedford Flying Order Book until the day they closed in the '90s

Gulf4uk
24th Jul 2018, 20:57
As many will tell you the week before and after show is often better than the show movements .
this show was the same with IL76 4K-AZ100 (Silk Way Airlines) Ilyushin Il-76TD-90SW . In and out
with choppers being the star Movement . it returned this morning .to collect chopper
PEGASUS Members had an Enclosure all show period just need was there membership card
and high Viz . The show itself for TRADE Fine for the public a rip off worst display ever ,but thats
my opinion .

TONY
Farnborough-aviation-group.

A2QFI
6th Mar 2019, 09:31
Try this!

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/events/Special-Events/east-kirkby-air-show-4th-august-2018.htm

Max Angle
6th Mar 2019, 10:58
Public weekend shows cancelled, a Monday to Friday event from 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-47463443

El Bunto
6th Mar 2019, 11:02
Must dust-off the business cards and see if I can register a .aero domain...

I'm not really surprised they canned the public days, they've been stretching to fill them for years now. Best just focus on the main activity. Plus for us photographers who can blag our way into the trade days there are fewer plebs at the rope during displays!

Rated De
6th Mar 2019, 20:22
I'm not really surprised they canned the public days, they've been stretching to fill them for years now.

As others have commented, the trend has been clear for a while now.
Recalling a trade day 2006, it was rather dull, although the public were indeed present one sensed there was the beginnings of what ultimately transpired: More a trade show than anything else.

Heading out the gate, the old familiar sound of a Merlin engine, then another as a Spitfire and Hurricane were echelon left..
Perhaps Duxford!

TwinAisle
6th Mar 2019, 20:54
It’s not just the flying display. From a business/commercial perspective, Fboro used to be fun - deals were genuinely cut over lunch, and there was a buzz.

Now it feels like all the deals were done a long time back and announced at the show for corporate willy waving purposes. No real buzz any more...

DaveReidUK
6th Mar 2019, 21:13
Now it feels like all the deals were done a long time back and announced at the show for corporate willy waving purposes.

'Twas ever thus.

TwinAisle
6th Mar 2019, 21:15
You’re probably right, Dave. Perhaps I’m getting older and more cynical. I blame aviation :)

Mr Optimistic
8th Mar 2019, 14:48
I used to hate manning the stand or hosting guests but that was when I was an easily imposed upon junior. Mind you, company lunches and refreshments were good providing you didn't have to stay coherent.

chevvron
9th Mar 2019, 09:08
I used to hate manning the stand or hosting guests but that was when I was an easily imposed upon junior. Mind you, company lunches and refreshments were good providing you didn't have to stay coherent.
Don't quote me but I understand the Guinness tent was always operated by off duty ATCOs from West Drayton.

Georgeablelovehowindia
11th Mar 2019, 11:36
Don't quote me but I understand the Guinness tent was always operated by off duty ATCOs from West Drayton.

As was the Guinness stand at the Boat Show in Earl's Court days.

SpringHeeledJack
11th Mar 2019, 17:02
How on earth did those relationships come to pass ? (Guinness and ATCO's)

punkalouver
21st Jun 2022, 04:39
How does one visit the airshow this year. It sounds like there are no public days. Will they accept someone who has flown at an airline or two?

DaveReidUK
21st Jun 2022, 06:20
How does one visit the airshow this year. It sounds like there are no public days. Will they accept someone who has flown at an airline or two?

There is "Pioneers of Tomorrow" day on the Friday - £32 for adults and you can take up to 3 kids (up to age 21) for free, which sounds a good deal.

And anyone with a bit of imagination should have no problem in filling in the pass application for the trade days: Register as a Trade Visitor - FIA (farnboroughairshow.com) (https://www.farnboroughairshow.com/visiting/register-as-a-trade-visitor/) (£45).

SimonPaddo
21st Jun 2022, 08:59
If you just want to see the flying display there is a football pitch next to the Premier Inn where all us locals go. Or there is a pub opposite Morrisons but its a bit further away.

I think Farnborough has suffered a double whammy, increased regulation of displays and increased development around the airfield. The last show had the Red Arrows just perform a flyby. Everyone thought it a waste of time/money, hence the cancellation of the public days.

chevvron
21st Jun 2022, 09:06
If you just want to see the flying display there is a football pitch next to the Premier Inn where all us locals go. Or there is a pub opposite Morrisons but its a bit further away.
The car park at Morrisons is always packed during the display plus you've got hot and cold grub and bogs in the store.

treadigraph
21st Jun 2022, 09:38
And anyone with a bit of imagination should have no problem in filling in the pass application for the trade days: Register as a Trade Visitor - FIA (farnboroughairshow.com) (https://www.farnboroughairshow.com/visiting/register-as-a-trade-visitor/) (£45).

I got into Paris on trade days twice either side of 1990, once on the strength of my PSA building pass (we did look after MoD airfields as part of our remit!) and the second time using a Dan-Air business card which identified me as a Senior 727 Captain - handed to me by the gentleman in question who happened to be sitting next to me on the flight to CDG. Gentleman indeed and a very nice bloke, sadly no longer with us.

Warmtoast
11th Jul 2022, 22:04
I'm in Fleet about five miles from Farnborough and was very impressed with the Black Eagles display team of the Korean Air Force which did their practice for next weeks Farnborough Air Show this morning. Eight aircraft to start with then down to six - all low and very noisy.
Never seen Korean Air Force aircraft before so quite an occasion.
WT

chevvron
12th Jul 2022, 15:53
As others have commented, the trend has been clear for a while now.
Recalling a trade day 2006, it was rather dull, although the public were indeed present one sensed there was the beginnings of what ultimately transpired: More a trade show than anything else.

Yes the 2006 trade show was dull it being the first time since 1974 that I hadn't designed the flying programme.
Farnborough International decided to dispense with my services and employ a so called professional who left large gaps in the display whereas I always timed it VERY tight. I tried to 'suggest' how it should be done but was totally ignored.
I retired after the 2008 show and have never been back.

DaveReidUK
12th Jul 2022, 18:12
Farnborough International decided to dispense with my services and employ a so called professional who left large gaps in the display whereas I always timed it VERY tight.

When I used to attend the Farnborough show for the whole week, on behalf of my then employer, I used to find the short gaps between successive display items very annoying as it often didn't leave enough time to replenish one's G&T.

chevvron
13th Jul 2022, 07:05
When I used to attend the Farnborough show for the whole week, on behalf of my then employer, I used to find the short gaps between successive display items very annoying as it often didn't leave enough time to replenish one's G&T.
There were no gaps in my day as no-one had time for G & Ts and anyway, why didn't your chalet have waitresses?
The display started every day at 2 pm because that's when the pilots finished lunch and everybody moaned about having to fly late in the display, thereafter they all wanted to get away early in order to go on the p1ss at their hotels in London.

G-ARZG
15th Jul 2022, 15:08
Too soon to say if the show lives down to the Cr*p in the header, but the show's app certainly does. Probably written by an intern who's never seen an aircraft. The static display includes a DCH2 Beaver and a 'USAF' AH-64E, CH-47F and P-8A Poseidon. Grrr!

SimonPaddo
15th Jul 2022, 15:15
Well as its free for me, I certainly like a 777X or Embraer 195 over the house with 80% bank angle at 1500 ft. A welcome distraction when working from home. ATC certainly earning their keep so far this week.

bobward
19th Jul 2022, 13:18
I made the mistake of trying to get to the show by driving through Farnborough town on Monday.
A bad move as I took two hours plus to travel 1.5 miles from the edge of town to the car park. The whole jam being caused by cars turning off into the exhibition area at the roundabout by the Hilton Hotel.
It got so bad that if I could have turned around and gone home, I would have. Around lunch time the traffic cleared, and by the time we left, 1500, we had a clear run out.

The other strange thing was that there were so few people around as we left. Mind you, with the heat and traffic aggravation, maybe everyone else had given up.
As for the static park, not a lot to excite the palette I'm afraid, or maybe I'm just getting too old for this stuff?

Jump Complete
19th Jul 2022, 17:33
I’ve only attended Farnborough once, in 2000. (On the day of the Concorde crash - I heard about it on the Farnborough radio station when I returned to my car.) I went on a trade day, you could apply for a trade ticket on the basis of having a pilots licence (just a PPL back then.) Is that still the case?

DaveReidUK
19th Jul 2022, 18:10
I’ve only attended Farnborough once, in 2000. (On the day of the Concorde crash - I heard about it on the Farnborough radio station when I returned to my car.) I went on a trade day, you could apply for a trade ticket on the basis of having a pilots licence (just a PPL back then.) Is that still the case?

Trade tickets are now £65, up from the early bird price of £45, which might take a bit of justifying But if you're determined to go regardless of the cost, I suspect the vetting of applications is pretty cursory and they would rather just have your money.

Here's the information needed to apply for a trade ticket:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/372x633/farnborough_registration_2_1b9b0af7d554a8f6fa646790da0cd1d21 a8c4c97.jpg
As I said in a previous post, anyone with a bit of imagination shouldn't find it a problem to supply suitable information - just be creative with the "Organisation Name" and probably best not to try to register with your Hotmail address. :O

Jump Complete
19th Jul 2022, 18:16
I doubt the trade tickets were that much then, (allowing for inflation) as I was pretty broke at the time! But also keen. Talked my way onto the 757-300 demonstrator. ‘Are you aircrew?’ ‘Yes!’ ..well pretty much true. The A380 (then the Airbus XXX) was just a plywood cut-out on the far side of the field.
EDIT: Airbus 3XX, not XXX. Don’t google Airbus XXX at work, the results are… interesting.

Less Hair
19th Jul 2022, 18:49
I think they moved it too far into summer. Main vacations at many places and school breaks prevent people from attending.

SimonPaddo
20th Jul 2022, 10:07
Can't speak for the static display but the flying display certainly isn't worth £65, if you want to see it stay outside would be my recommendation.

SpringHeeledJack
20th Jul 2022, 10:21
I've gone to the pub garden at the end of the runway in the past. Where would you recommend as a local ?

DaveReidUK
20th Jul 2022, 11:03
The top deck of the multi-storey car park on Fowler Avenue used to be a popular spot for watching the display, though not necessarily so good for photography as you're facing south.

Whether it's as good now that the big Gulfstream building has gone up, I'm not so sure.

chevvron
21st Jul 2022, 03:09
When they moved the Farnborough show from September to July, the thinking was that it would naturally 'follow' on' from RIAT.

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Jul 2022, 17:00
Just back from the 'airshow'. What a load of rubbish that was, with all due respect to the skills and daring of the aircraft crews who did show up. Maybe I don't understand the costs of the flying displays, but really the flying programme was so meagre and so interspersed with long gaps that it ranks (for me) as the worst large airshow I've ever witnessed. Yes, the weather was a bit uncharitable for the first hour (Red Arrows flyby cancelled), but there were no fast jets or any jets, apart from the A350 who made mockery of the laws of flight so graceful was it's display. All other participants were either rotary or propeller driven. Almost forgot, as it was rather anti-climactic, there was a flypast of (I think) Korean fast jets at the end.

Truly, the organisers should just have the 54 days for the trade and be done with it.

treadigraph
22nd Jul 2022, 18:36
(Red Arrows flyby cancelled)

Just read a thread in the Mil bit that says Reds and various other Hawks/Typhoons temporarily affected by a ejection seat snag... might be why they were non-showers.

Re the A350, no 777X as well?

SpringHeeledJack
22nd Jul 2022, 19:08
No, nothing other than the A350, unless they were flying in the morning, but I arrived at 12 noon and didn't see/hear anything else. There was a dearth of commercial/mil larger aircraft. You'd have thought that the organisers might have arranged some 'training flights/sorties' by the RAF/RN/ARMY and USAF to go by FAB today, but no......As I was leaving the 737-10MAX took off, but heading back to Seattle rather than displaying of any kind.

SimonPaddo
22nd Jul 2022, 19:44
SHJ. Sorry been travelling, think Boeing exited early. Swan is right at end of runway, so good view. We tend to take chairs and picnics to Rushmoor Community FC next to the Premier Inn off the A327. Tweseldown would be good, but not sure if folks discouraged from going there. Was ok given I was there anyway but not worth going out of your way for.

bobward
23rd Jul 2022, 09:05
Isn't there a ban on teams displaying at FB due to housing encroaching the area?

Geezers of Nazareth
23rd Jul 2022, 11:48
Trade tickets are now £65, up from the early bird price of £45, which might take a bit of justifying But if you're determined to go regardless of the cost, I suspect the vetting of applications is pretty cursory and they would rather just have your money.

Here's the information needed to apply for a trade ticket:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/372x633/farnborough_registration_2_1b9b0af7d554a8f6fa646790da0cd1d21 a8c4c97.jpg
As I said in a previous post, anyone with a bit of imagination shouldn't find it a problem to supply suitable information - just be creative with the "Organisation Name" and probably best not to try to register with your Hotmail address. :O

I'll say ... 4 years ago I got a trade ticket with the job title of 'wizard'!

Seloco
24th Jul 2022, 12:19
I have to agree with SpringHeeledJack; the 'flying display' which we experienced on Friday was rather an insult to the name (but not the few participants). After attending Farnborough now for 64 years I fear that it is finally a case of RIP, for whatever reason. The larger companies seem to have stayed away from the exhibition halls and holed up in their chalets away from the hoi poloi instead - although Leonardo at least had their usual impressive set-up by the entrance. Compared with previous years there was very little in the static park, and even then a number of information boards showed aircraft that had already flown out by Friday morning (such as the 777X).

Time was, ever since I was 7, that the Farnborough Show was where one went to see all the latest advances in aviation, be it military, commercial, GA or experimental; where one could experience the future, just a few noisy feet away, and be inspired as a child to want to become part of it. No longer, it seems. In a world where a significant part of that future will be electric, it was sad for instance that not one single electric powered aircraft could be shown flying. Instead, for me at least, the real highlights of what passed for a 'flying display' were those outstanding but familiar performances by a 41 yr old Chinook helicopter and a 77 year old Spitfire.

So, is it the end for the 'Farnborough Air Show', or have we just experienced an abnormal post-pandemic glitch and will see a glorious return to the days of yore in July 2024?

ATNotts
24th Jul 2022, 12:30
I
Time was, ever since I was 7, that the Farnborough Show was where one went to see all the latest advances in aviation, be it military, commercial, GA or experimental; where one could experience the future, just a few noisy feet away, and be inspired as a child to want to become part of it. No longer, it seems. In a world where a significant part of that future will be electric, it was sad for instance that not one single electric powered aircraft could be shown flying. Instead, for me at least, the real highlights of what passed for a 'flying display' were those outstanding but familiar performances by a 41 yr old Chinook helicopter and a 77 year old Spitfire.

So, is it the end for the 'Farnborough Air Show', or have we just experienced an abnormal post-pandemic glitch and will see a glorious return to the days of yore in July 2024?

And coverage on the BBC from Raymond Baxter! Those were the days. Of course back then the UK had an aircraft manufacturing industry, and if I recall correctly until the 1980s, perhaps later, the SBAC show was largely the preserve of UK manufacturers. It's becoming difficult to see the point, from a financial perspective for the exhibitors of taking part since almost all the so-called "deals" made at Farnborough and other shows globally are actually press releases of agreements made weeks, perhaps months before. I doubt airline CEOs rock up at Airbus' chalet, pen in hand to sign contracts having had a quick chat with the sales team and watched the chosen product demonstrated!

treadigraph
24th Jul 2022, 12:40
and if I recall correctly until the 1980s, perhaps later, the SBAC show was largely the preserve of UK manufacturers.

It started becoming "international" in the 1960s, initially including foreign designed aircraft with UK engines or other kit but truly international by 1972 or perhaps '74.

ATNotts
24th Jul 2022, 13:02
It started becoming "international" in the 1960s, initially including foreign designed aircraft with UK engines or other kit but truly international by 1972 or perhaps '74.
As early as that? Time really does play tricks.

SpringHeeledJack
24th Jul 2022, 14:29
I sent a video of the A350's display to a friend in Germany who works for AB and moaned about the lack of depth display-wise. He sent back photos and videos of the ILA in Berlin 4 weeks previously and it seems like that was more like the Farnborough of yore. I suppose things have changed and that's just that.

Warmtoast
25th Jul 2022, 09:16
I've attended Farnborough for years from the days when if one attended in service uniform entry was free, to the last one I observed from the top of a BMW car dealers observation platform near the end of the runway in 2018.
Anyway a couple of shots from my photo album showing what was on show in the 1970's/1980's.
Regarding the two Harriers I asked the late John Farley who was piloting these two Harriers as to the likely date and he commented "Your G-VTOL smoke pic was 1976 and the IN SHAR climb out was 1982" - so a long time ago.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/772x479/image5_229eb60c1d549755b60db434da0861698cc3d05b.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/532x800/image6_15ad4b310b7b5e9c36282a31eba8d71374367715.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/679x431/image4_af699e70e0a224c3e424dbdbd3adf4a389aab1bd.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/799x508/image1_ee70c3577ee6aea86cb3b817621b949e2175ac19.jpg
Comet - not sure of the mark 4 perhaps?. Viewers went In at the front (left) and out of the back (right)

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x532/image2_77397f888eed93019353e7448c9c4b7b8e4f1e0e.jpg
Interior of B.777 (or Airbus) I think

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x532/image3_c231a5940c156f6956016044b62c31b16545188a.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/795x479/image7_69fc6d2c14178da80d6e4d06e310438abab96499.jpg
This tiny Bede BD5J was photo'd in the 1970's. It was piloted by James Bond in the 007 film "Octopussy"

DaveReidUK
25th Jul 2022, 09:48
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x532/image2_77397f888eed93019353e7448c9c4b7b8e4f1e0e.jpg
Interior of B.777 (or Airbus) I think

I suspect that's the Tristar at the 1972 show.

Less Hair
25th Jul 2022, 10:07
Look at those center armrests. Double width!

dixi188
25th Jul 2022, 10:19
I suspect that's the Tristar at the 1972 show.
PSA I think with a BEA logo on the nose.

treadigraph
25th Jul 2022, 11:10
I think the BD-5 was 1976... never seen one and 1978 was the first Farnborough I attended!

airsound
25th Jul 2022, 12:04
I’m sad to say that it’s not just this year’s show that was so feeble. The rot was already well established in 2018. I was working at that show, and I was horrified by the lacklustre flying displays.

But I was lucky enough to persuade Craig Hoyle, the Editor of Flight International magazine, to let me have 500 words on the letters page of his 7-13 August 2018 edition. Here’s the text of that letter (if anyone’s still interested!) Over the 70 years since Farnborough started, I have been to every show, with the exception of a couple in the 1960s. Over its seven decades, Farnborough had, of course, become one of the two top international shows, alongside Paris. In the UK, it was, and probably still is, the one air show that practically everybody knows about.

Your Comment article (Flight International 24-30 July) tells us: “…anyone who thought this year’s Farnborough would pass with a whimper was mistaken. … the skies are clear, the seatbelt signs are off, and we are cruising at a comfortable altitude.” That, of course, refers to the trade show part. The flying displays were a totally different matter.

We’ve grown used to unique Farnborough flying displays that have amazed and delighted, but last week’s flying displays were a sad travesty of former glories. The Royal Air Force, in its centenary year, declined to fly any of its displays, limiting itself only to flypasts, even by the Red Arrows. Most days the Typhoon was not to be seen, and nor was the F-35 Lightning.

In order to provide at least some big jet noise, the Flying Display Director had to resort to displays by an ancient Spanish AV8B Harrier and an even older US Air Force F-16C, displaying twice on some days. And the displays that did take place were further away from the audience, vertically and horizontally.

The reason for all this? Mainly that Farnborough, with its surrounding built-up areas, has become a totally unsuitable venue for the safety requirements of a modern air show. That had been the case for a while, but new regulations brought in after the Shoreham crash in 2015 have sealed its fate. It has had to instigate “the Farnborough bowl”, whereby, put simply, the further a displaying aircraft is from display datum, the higher it has to be. This drastically affects approved and practised display sequences, and was responsible at least in part for the RAF’s refusal to fly any of its displays.

I saw the whole programme on the Friday (the last trade day), and the Sunday (the final public day). There were valiant efforts by the Blades aerobatic display team and the Aerosuperbatics Wingwalkers, some lovely ‘warbirds’, and Airbus had retiring Chief Test Pilot Peter Chandler give the expected brilliant display of the A350-1000.

But I have to say that, in four decades of commentating at air shows, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such lacklustre and uninspiring display programming at any major show, let alone Farnborough.

Clearly, the trade show was the usual resounding success, with huge orders announced, but future flying displays at the event should now be in doubt.

Going to air shows is still immensely popular in the UK, ranking amongst the top outdoor spectator activities, with millions attending each year. I’m sad to report that Farnborough has finally dived, vertiginously, from its decades-long pre-eminent position.

That 2018 letter sparked quite a lot of response, both in the magazine and elsewhere - all of it, as far as I know, agreeing with it.
And of course, in the meantime, Farnborough International decided not to have any more public days on the Saturday and Sunday.

It is, I’m immensely sad to say, the true end of a special era - one that I feel very lucky to have experienced.

airsound

DaveReidUK
25th Jul 2022, 12:06
PSA I think with a BEA logo on the nose.

Not quite - it was an Eastern Airlines aircraft. Arrived at LHR in basic EAL colours, then had Court Line logos applied for a demo to them at Manchester, subsequently had BEA's "Speedjack" applied to the tail and BEA logo for its Farnborough appearance.

Here it is at Tempelhof during its demo tour:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x533/tristar_bea_demo_e1084e8d490cf513968df1d79b9a983578a61806.jp g

Lockheed L-1011 TriStar 1, N305EA / 193A-1006, Lockheed Aircraft (BEA colours) : ABPic (https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1135377)

treadigraph
25th Jul 2022, 12:54
I’m sad to say that it’s not just this year’s show that was so feeble. The rot was already well established in 2018. I was working at that show, and I was horrified by the lacklustre flying displays.

But I was lucky enough to persuade Craig Hoyle, the Editor of Flight International magazine, to let me have 500 words on the letters page of his 7-13 August 2018 edition. Here’s the text of that letter (if anyone’s still interested!)

That 2018 letter sparked quite a lot of response, both in the magazine and elsewhere - all of it, as far as I know, agreeing with it.
And of course, in the meantime, Farnborough International decided not to have any more public days on the Saturday and Sunday.

It is, I’m immensely sad to say, the true end of a special era - one that I feel very lucky to have experienced.

airsound

I can't recall when I last attended Farnborough as an airshow going member of public, probably 1998. I think I went on a trade day in 2006 as a guest of a supplier and the display was somewhat lacklustre then, with some gaps in the programme and several aircraft flying twice, notably the F-18. Perhaps better on public days... Mind you, I recall I had a cold which did tend to dampen my enthusiasm a little despite it being a nice sunny day for once!

ATNotts
25th Jul 2022, 13:49
Warmtoast,

Comet is surely a Mark 4B. I seem to recall they had that door arrangement, and that was the model ordered by BEA.

As a aside, what was the reasoning behind having the forward PAX door on the starboard side on the Comet 4B?

wub
25th Jul 2022, 13:55
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1024x682/wraf_0fbeea4cd990ccffe7d6ad58a2211b0570baa13d.jpg
Can't remember the year but this one one of the aircraft in the pre-display rescue cavalcade.

uxb99
14th Aug 2022, 19:09
Farnborough suffers from the memories of it's past and the ghosts of accidents not so past (not necessarily Farnborough related).
Air shows have declined in general over the years combined with high prices, the economy and the downturn of civil and military aviation.
It's also a victim of our expectations. My first air show without my parents featured two P51's, some WW1 and a black Hunter (plus a few of the stalwarts).
Regs and the council still wondering if they will get `their` Shoreham moment in what is a very built up area.
I suspect the show will eventually wind down.