PDA

View Full Version : How old is too old.

flying-spike
21st Jul 2018, 08:53
I’ve been out of flying but in Aviation Safety Management for 25 years. I have an ATPL class 1 medical and fresh MEIR renewal. I have over 3000 hours, 2500 multi command in mostly 121 Operations. I am after an honest opinion of my chances of getting a right hand seat in a regional. Any takers?

bafanguy
21st Jul 2018, 10:14
f-s,

You didn't give your age but as you know the max is 65 here, I assume you're under that. So...your age isn't a problem with a US regional. I'll opine that it could be an advantage as you won't likely try to run off to another US carrier (if/when able).

They're hiring people in their 50s. Is your experience in FAA Part 121 ?

flying-spike
21st Jul 2018, 10:58
Thanks for your reply.
I’m 61, Have a Masters in Aviation Management, accident investigator. Most of my hours in as chief pilot in a regional airline in Chieftains. The plan would be whenI hit my use-by date to come back to Australia and keep flying or go Management (or retire)

340drvr
21st Jul 2018, 11:13
Your time horizon is perhaps too short to get to 767 captain with a legacy carrier, but I could only guess that most any of the regionals would be happy to see your application, they're hurting for pilots, as you probably know.

zondaracer
21st Jul 2018, 11:16
My airline has hired 63 year old pilots with no prior jet time.

flying-spike
21st Jul 2018, 11:17
Thanks 340 I’d be happy to eventually get command on a CRJ or similar before hitting 65. Over here you can keep going til you fail a medical so I could come back after 65 and fly corporate or retire

flying-spike
21st Jul 2018, 11:19
My airline has hired 63 year old pilots with no prior jet time.
thanks zondaracer, can I ask which airline or could you PM me?

pithblot
22nd Jul 2018, 06:07
I am after an honest opinion of my chances of getting a right hand seat in a regional. Any takers

Well, yes, I'll bite. IIRC and you are the bloke that used to be Ozzie's CP, then I recon your chances are probably pretty good, provided you've got your BMI under control.

No doubt you've read the appropriate threads running on Pprune? The E3 visa sounds like a God-send for Aussie pilots. Four years flying a CRJ around the States would be a hoot - hard work too, I imagine, and it would set you up nicely for semi retirement on the Cobham SAR contract.

If you make the leap, let us know how you go.

Best of luck.

pithblot.

flying-spike
22nd Jul 2018, 09:02
Well, yes, I'll bite. IIRC and you are the bloke that used to be Ozzie's CP, then I recon your chances are probably pretty good, provided you've got your BMI under control.

No doubt you've read the appropriate threads running on Pprune? The E3 visa sounds like a God-send for Aussie pilots. Four years flying a CRJ around the States would be a hoot - hard work too, I imagine, and it would set you up nicely for semi retirement on the Cobham SAR contract.

If you make the leap, let us know how you go.

Best of luck.

pithblot.
Thanks Pithblot, yes, it is I. Hard work and a fair bit of swimming has the Class1 back and the BMI dropping. I will keep you in the loop. Do I know you?

the737capt
22nd Jul 2018, 19:55
Funny you should know, while I worked in Europe there was a former Polish medical assistant that he started his Pilot Training at age of 57 and finished training after 3 years, took him about 1 years to get in an airline and do the type rating on B737, I flown with him at age of 61, Likely he is retired now!

pithblot
23rd Jul 2018, 01:38
f-s, yeah, we've met around the traps and probably shared a beer or two in the Top End - Re Darwin in the 80s - but I'll leave it there. Good on ya for getting/maintaining the medical :ok:

The industry has changed dramatically over recent years and maybe not for the best. But it's a great time for anyone starting or starting afresh.

Cheers.

VH DSJ
23rd Jul 2018, 05:49
Thanks 340 I’d be happy to eventually get command on a CRJ or similar before hitting 65. Over here you can keep going til you fail a medical so I could come back after 65 and fly corporate or retire

You can get command on the CRJ as soon as you've hit 1000 hours of FAA Part 121 time at my airline. That would take around 14 to 18 months from date of hire. Easily done before you hit 65.

pithblot
1st Oct 2019, 00:35
Mate,
I’m curious to know how the journey back into the pilot’s seat has been for you.
Did you have a go at the US regionals or find something closer to home?
Cheers,

pithblot