PDA

View Full Version : 70th Aniversary of the Berlin Blockade

8igRob
20th Jul 2018, 10:39
My father flew the record number of sorties during the Blockade of any pilot, civilian or military, of any nationality. He flew Avro Yorks for 206 squadron.
The story goes that my dad's CO at 206 squadron noticed that the Americans were assigning one pilot in particular to more duties than any other in order to say that their pilot had flown the most sorties of any nationality, however they were counting their flight from to berlin as one trip and their flight back as a second. Just so we weren't going to be beaten by the Americans, my dad's CO started assigning my dad the lions share of flights and made sure that he flew more sorties than them even though we were counting Wunstorf to Gatow and return as 1 trip. I believe the American pilot notched up 402 trips and so my dad ended up with 404 sorties which makes 808 in the American counting system. My dad was awarded the AFC for his part in the Airlift to go with his DFC awarded for his tour on Lancasters in 1944.
I have often wondered that, if he had been an American pilot, he might have been as well known as Gail Halvorsen, but as he was English this record has slipped into obscurity.
I contacted a number of air museums in Britain including Duxford who have one of the Yorks my dad flew, and none of them are planning to celebrate the anniversary with any displays or such like. I think that is a shame. I have offered to loan some of my dad photos and his airlift log book to the Allied museum in Berlin for a display to mark the occasion. I guess it was more important to the Berliners than to us

rog747
20th Jul 2018, 12:18
incredible sacrifice of airman and crews during this in 1948 - the start of the real cold war - many awful accidents trying to fly supplies in down the corridor

Herod
20th Jul 2018, 15:38
8igRob, Have you tried the RAF museum? If Hendon give you the cold shoulder, try Cosford directly. There the National Cold War exhibition has a large section devoted to the Berlin airlift, including a York. Good luck, and respect due to your father.

8igRob
20th Jul 2018, 19:08
8igRob, Have you tried the RAF museum? If Hendon give you the cold shoulder, try Cosford directly. There the National Cold War exhibition has a large section devoted to the Berlin airlift, including a York. Good luck, and respect due to your father.

Herod, I must admit I didn't try Hendon but Cosford was the first one I contacted and I got a reply from a nice lady saying that she had contacted the heads of all departments and they said they weren't planning on marking the 70th anniversary of the Blockade :(

OUAQUKGF Ops
21st Jul 2018, 16:49
I'm not sure that this film is not already somewhere on PPRuNe but if you haven't watched it:

https://youtu.be/_nHdB1vJNsg

David Rayment
24th Jul 2018, 22:54
Ah - Thank you for that, I really enjoyed it! My Dad spent a couple of months flying Liberator tankers (G-AHZR and 'HDY) for Scottish Air Lines flying from Schleswig to Tegel.

Hanslope
25th Jul 2018, 11:58
8igRob, please PM me. Duxford Aviation Society are planning to celebrate the anniversary and we would be very interested in talking to you.

8igRob
25th Jul 2018, 12:26
8igRob, please PM me. Duxford Aviation Society are planning to celebrate the anniversary and we would be very interested in talking to you.

I can't seem to find how to PM you on this forum. Drop me a quick message at [email protected]

You can’t use the Private Messaging system, add url links or images until you have an established posting history.

8igRob
26th Jul 2018, 06:20

sorry Hanslope, the site won't let me until I have established a posting history. It won't even let me post my email.
If you do a google search for "Flt Lt Roy Mather DFC AFC" you will find my website with some contact details on. A clue to the website: he flew Vickers Valiants :)
I look forward to hearing from you.