PDA

View Full Version : gastroepiploic artery aneurysm

Arewerunning
17th Jul 2018, 18:13
Hi Folks!

BIg surprise: after a CT SCAN I have been diagnosed with a 12mm X 17 mm gastroepiploic artery aneurysm.

The doctor says that it makes sense to embolize it (they use embolisation catheters to do so) in the not too distant future - one month- to avoid the risk of any rupture.

Do you know where I could find some reference regarding this specific topic in regards to Class I medical?

Regards
arewerunning

421dog
17th Jul 2018, 20:51
No, but as an AME, and a Surgeon who takes care of people who check out as the result of not being serendipitously diagnosed with stuff such as this, go get it taken care of, because you're at risk for driving a tricycle until you do so...

AngioJet
18th Jul 2018, 06:19
If the aneurysm is amenable to embolisation, I can't envisage any other implications for your class 1 other than the standard reporting to your AME and a short period of recuperation post procedure. Good luck!

magyarflyer
18th Jul 2018, 13:29
Hi Folks!

BIg surprise: after a CT SCAN I have been diagnosed with a 12mm X 17 mm gastroepiploic artery aneurysm.

The doctor says that it makes sense to embolize it (they use embolisation catheters to do so) in the not too distant future - one month- to avoid the risk of any rupture.

Do you know where I could find some reference regarding this specific topic in regards to Class I medical?

Regards
arewerunning

not sure what vessel is that. There are celiac, mesenteric and various branches such as gastric, hepatic, splenic, renal aneurysms. If the one you have is feeding the omentum (epiloic) at this size is safe to observe and risk of rupture is very low.as a vascular surgeon I advice follow up and observation with a repeat CTA in 6 months, if progression ie over 19-20 mm embolization is safe and carries low risk even if it’s feeding a gastric portion. But your AME may insist on therapy before. Make sure your interventional radiologist is experienced. There are specific guidelines for visceral artery aneurysms published by the (american) society of vascular surgery

421dog
18th Jul 2018, 22:33
not sure what vessel is that. There are celiac, mesenteric and various branches such as gastric, hepatic, splenic, renal aneurysms. If the one you have is feeding the omentum (epiloic) at this size is safe to observe and risk of rupture is very low.as a vascular surgeon I advice follow up and observation with a repeat CTA in 6 months, if progression ie over 19-20 mm embolization is safe and carries low risk even if it’s feeding a gastric portion. But your AME may insist on therapy before. Make sure your interventional radiologist is experienced. There are specific guidelines for visceral artery aneurysms published by the (american) society of vascular surgery

They are the two arteries which outline the greater curvature of your stomach.
Trivial to endovascularly treat ananeeurisms there, but really easy to bleed to death if one blows it off...