View Full Version : Aerial Photography reveals WW2 RAF Lasham

Hipper
17th Jul 2018, 12:45
WW2 parts revealed by aerial photography after this hot weather:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44767497

Anybody got any others?

pulse1
17th Jul 2018, 15:05
As the oldest RAF Station, in similar weather Old Sarum used to reveal a circle with RAF OLD SARUM in the centre. I only ever saw it once when I was an ATC gliding instructor there.

Darwinism
17th Jul 2018, 21:53
As the oldest RAF Station, in similar weather Old Sarum used to reveal a circle with RAF OLD SARUM in the centre. I only ever saw it once when I was an ATC gliding instructor there.
'Oldest RAF Station'? Upavon surely?

chevvron
18th Jul 2018, 00:51
The 'station circle' at Halton is always visible.

Innominate
18th Jul 2018, 21:12
In the 1930s most RAF airfields had a "Landing Circle" presumably for practicing spot landings. The station name was probably one of the few navaids available in those days!

chevvron
19th Jul 2018, 11:38
In the 1930s most RAF airfields had a "Landing Circle" presumably for practicing spot landings. The station name was probably one of the few navaids available in those days!
No.
There used to be a container in the middle with a 'smoky' substance burning in it to give pilots an idea of wind speed and direction, so it was most inadvisable to land in the circle in a wooden aircraft covered in doped fabric!:=

DaveReidUK
19th Jul 2018, 12:49
There used to be a container in the middle with a 'smoky' substance burning in it to give pilots an idea of wind speed and direction.

Though not that helpful for navigation unless each airfield produced different coloured smoke. :O

treadigraph
19th Jul 2018, 13:38
Though not that helpful for navigation unless each airfield produced different coloured smoke. :O

They did it in morse, but Native American style...

chevvron
19th Jul 2018, 16:50
The airfield name was in the circle so presumably you tried several airfields until you got it right!

innuendo
20th Jul 2018, 00:53
The airfield name was in the circle so presumably you tried several airfields until you got it right!

In a similar vein, P/O Prune, after landing, supposedly would not talk to anyone until he had read the station's DROs, (Daily Routine Orders).
That way he could find out where he was. :)

ICT_SLB
20th Jul 2018, 05:05
Not an airfield but an ex-Pathfinder Wireless Operator, Dave Booth, I worked with at BAC Hurn said that he flew on a Lancaster that had gear to send orange smoke signals. They tried it as an alternative to all the radio calls that warned the Germans of a raid being assembled but it didn't work!

chevvron
20th Jul 2018, 10:44
In a similar vein, P/O Prune, after landing, supposedly would not talk to anyone until he had read the station's DROs, (Daily Routine Orders).
That way he could find out where he was. :)
Ah but P/O Prune was wartime and I dare say in wartime, the airfield's name was somehow obscured; might help the Germans find out where they are don't y'know.

wub
20th Jul 2018, 14:20
'Oldest RAF Station'? Upavon surely?

Try RAF Digby