PDA

View Full Version : EU Freelance Question

TopSpotter73
14th Jul 2018, 12:25
Hi, I'm looking for some advice please. I hold an EASA type rating on Falcon 7X and for personal reasons I am considering going freelance. Having spoken with many colleagues it seems to me that FAA regulations make freelancing relatively easy but with NCC and other regulatory changes in EASA it is becoming more difficult, if not impossible, to be a true freelancer.

Grateful for any advice on this, specifically from EASA type rated pilots/operators freelancing in Europe.

Thanks
TS

CL300
14th Jul 2018, 15:18
In pure theory, and depending on the NCC manual, it is a tad easier than part.Cat; but still have to get everything right in the crew training records.
You might not need a sim, but only a line check, all depends on what was written; Company CRM is usually due, as well as induction course. If you fly for more than one, it starts to be a tedious case. The easiest is a month replacement like schedule. Day in / day out is almost impossible, especially on big airframes. But this is my experience, others might have found it easier.

Peterpanmach1
15th Jul 2018, 11:48
Hi there TS,

it seems here in the EU we have a mass of legislation - EASA and the respective nations Aviation Authorities all creating documentation. I believe, in some regards, this helps the management companies sweep up private owners and put their aircraft on AOC. AOC is where it may or may not become complicated for freelance pilots in the EU.

AOCs are approved by national civil aviation authorities and typically each AOC will be bespoke depending on the needs of the operator, and the appetite of the respective authority. There is a lot of cribbing between AOCs of course, and much standard text.

Within the AOC is specified the minimum training requirements. Essentially, for pilots you need to be type rated (inc landings), to be familiar with company SOPs and to have completed some form of line training. At first glance, this looks horrendous for freelance pilots - however, if we look a little closer: I know companies where the AOC permits a pilot with a current type rating, SOP familiarity (read the company books and signed the paper), to conduct line training in the right hand seat as an FO on route sectors ie: live. At the end of the 20 sectors, the freelancer can then take an OPC.

TopSpotter73
18th Jul 2018, 12:29
Thanks both for your steers, really useful and reinforces my thinking on the subject - nice to see that some operators appear to be using some common sense as well as abiding by the regulations.

I've signed up to a couple of sites that appear to offer freelance jobs, let's see what actually happens. If there is any particularly good agency/web site I should be using then any advice will be appreciated. Is it just 'mates network' to find the companies who offer some flexibility to freelancers? Thoughts?

Hodin
19th Jul 2018, 09:31
[...] At the end of the 20 sectors, the freelancer can then take an OPC.

Thats new to me - at least for EASA CAT/NCC operations. Not sure if there are national differences, but flying without OPC under the beforementioned conditions is, to my knowledge, not possible.
Only way would be private operation.
Operators like to bend the rules to save money, esp. for short-terms freelance pilots just to get their A/C in the air.
Therefore I can recommend to have a look at the regulation.

what next
19th Jul 2018, 13:36
Not sure if there are national differences, but flying without OPC under the beforementioned conditions is, to my knowledge, not possible.

Same here. You start with an OPC and next comes your supervision (if deemed necessary) followed by a line check.
And no, freelancing is neither difficult nor rare in Europe. Not even within commercial operations. I know some AOC companies where every second pilot is a freelancer. Terms and conditions vary a lot, so better ask before getting a nasty surprise later. Like: Who pays for your recurrent training and checkrides, who pays for your travel expenses, what about layover days, ...

One major caveat is "disguised employment" or "fictitious self-employment" (those two translations came up for the german legal term "Scheinselbständigkeit"). After the authorities have set some examples (e.g. concerning some strange contracts offered by that Irish low cost airline whose name is not to be said on these forums) employers tend to be rather cautious. Especially regarding freelancers who fly for only one company. Don't expect to be offered a freelance opportunity if you do not work for someone else or in a different field besides flying. This is not mandated by EASA or local aviation authorities but social security and tax office. If in doubt talk with a tax adviser beforehand. I myself have worked as freelance pilot for almost two decades with no problems, but have changed to part-time employment some years ago for various reasons.

wondering
26th Jul 2018, 13:14
Have you looked at Estonia?

https://e-resident.gov.ee/

Romaro
27th Jul 2018, 07:47
Talk to Hullo Aircrew at https://www.hulloaircrew.com/ - they're experts on all this