View Full Version : Better to be Under Qualified!!

fireflybob
18th Jun 2001, 14:07
Got 14,000 hours (9,000 hours jet) with ten years in training but been out of the airlines for six years due to a family bereavement but have been flying continuously throughout.

Now the kids are older trying to get back into the airlines.

Just had a "standard letter" from Air 2000 saying "the response has been tremendous and the calibre of applicants seeking employment...has been extremely high. It is with regret therefore that I have to inform you that your application has not reached the next stage of our selection process. etc"

It just would have been nice to be offered an interview and if they are worried whether I can still fly a big shiny jet why can't they put me in the simulator?

Surely this shows that pilot selection is just a lottery? I am not getting at Air 2000 who I think are a smart outfit but is there any logic to this?

At 50 years I feel I still have much to offer but perhaps ageism is a factor.

I am really p????d off!!

------------------

maxrevs
18th Jun 2001, 19:32
FFB,
You're not alone! As a technician in his late fifties, I am going through the same wash cycle. If I send a resume to a company, the Chief Eng or D.O.M. will look at it and wonder if I'm a possible candidate for their job. If the "all knowing" H.R. department gets hold of it then I'm sure that they will wonder how long I'll be able to work for them, prior to becoming a burden, due to old age, getting hurt/dropping dead on the job, or retiring.
Hang in there, and do'nt let the bastards see you sweat!!
Best regards, Max

------------------
When I push the panic button, the breaker pops!

JB007
19th Jun 2001, 00:20
Sorry to hear the news Bob...

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

Sagey
19th Jun 2001, 12:04
More Airlines in the air.

Tried EasyJet or Ryanair??

They seem to have a problem recruiting people with your sort of hours.

Good luck mate

Sagey