PDA

View Full Version : LHR-USA rights or we scrap MAN long haul - bmi

Electric Sky
26th Jul 2002, 09:27
It seems Sir Michael is turning the heat up on the UK government and has hinted for the first time that the MAN long haul is under threat should an open skies deal not be signed.

Bmi hopes for open skies agreement

By Kevin Feddy

THE boss of the UK's second-biggest scheduled airline has said he hopes the long-running wrangle over an open skies agreement with the United States can be settled by the end of the year.

Sir Michael Bishop, the Bowdon-born chairman of bmi british midland, is optimistic a deal can be reached to give his carrier access to the US via Heathrow.

That could pave the way for more transAtlantic services from Manchester. Without it, a question mark will hang over the future of bmi's flights to Washington and Chicago.

At present, only British Airways and Virgin Atlantic can fly to the US from Heathrow, but bmi is barred by regulators.

Sir Michael, 60, said: "We have the capability and infrastructure to operate transAtlantic flights from Heathrow. If we were allowed to do so, it would help secure the long-term development of our Manchester-US services, and allow us to accelerate the scope of our Manchester operations."

His airline celebrated the first anniversary of its flights from Manchester to Washington and Chicago in May. The routes are still making a loss, after suffering from the effects of the September 11 attacks and the foot and mouth crisis.

Sir Michael said: "It takes three years for a new route to become profitable, but I cannot think of a worse set of circumstances that those we have faced.

"For that reason, we are treating this year as our first year. We have seen a recovery in traffic since the middle of March - our services are now operating at 70 per cent of capacity."

Commitment

It is likely the number of cheaper seats available on the routes will be reduced, in an attempt to boost yields - the amount of revenue per passenger.

He said bmi has a commitment to continue transAtlantic flights from Manchester - provided they make a profit and can be matched with services from Heathrow.

"The market at Manchester is relatively small. We need to have at least 10 aircraft in our long-haul fleet, to achieve the best economies of scale so we can compete with other carriers. We cannot see ourselves being able to build up to that level at Manchester, so we need to have operations from Heathrow."

Sir Michael met Transport Secretary Alistair Darling and other government representatives earlier this month to press bmi's case.

"There's been a cocktail of problems and the situation has reached an impasse. But I think the chances are better than they have been for a couple of years. We've had a lot of support from north west MPs.

"If an agreement is reached by the end of the year, it will allow us to start new US services by June 2003.

"If we don't get into Heathrow in a reasonable period of time, we will have to review Manchester - unless the services are profitable."

His airline will make a "moderate" loss this year but he expects it to be back in profit in 2003.

ES ;)

flymeagain
26th Jul 2002, 22:04
As a crew member on the long-haul out of Man I have to say that I can't believe that were not making a profit on the routes yet, especially the ORD. The economy cabins are nearly always full, and the C class getting very busy. On one of my most recent flights to ORD we only had 3 spare seats on the whole A/C, with 17 out of the 24 C Class pax (or should I say guests) full fare paying! we also had 20tons of cargo, which can (so I believe), sometimes pay for the flight. The only cabin that's not doing so well is "The New Economy", as this seems to be used as an overspil for the frequently overbooked economy cabin.
One thing that does need to be looked at regarding the long-haul is the marketing dept. who could and should be doing so much more to promote the services. For example, on the airbus shorthaul fleet the I.F.E. is only used for the safety demo, we have a captive audience here, and showing a short video of the differant services we have on our longhaul, (for example, the in-flight chef, and the 20 t.v. channels of I.F.E in ALL cabins) would cost nothing. A lot of people who fly out LHR still don't know about the routes.
All that being said, this is still Sir Michael's (real) Baby, and something he's wanted for a long time. In just over a year, we are the only airline to get 5 stars for our business class in The Business Traveller Magazine!!! with Virgin getting 4 and a half, continental and Air Canada 4, and A.A. 3. The amount of feedback that has been received regarding the overall service has been outstanding, with all the crew being very proud of the work they do.
If the longhaul was to stop it would be seen as a defeat. and would be very hard to start up again should we be given the rights to fly out of LHR. :rolleyes:

Wino
27th Jul 2002, 03:36
This is typical management crap.

What they are saying is that we need LHR in order to lower our costs so we can fly Manchester. Who wants to bet that one second after they get awarded to fly out of LHR that they say "We can get a better return on our assets out of LHR and are pulling out of MAN."

The child is saying give me this or else...

Cheers
Wino

Caslance
27th Jul 2002, 07:18
Just a question to add to the debate -

The "Press Centre" page on the "bmi British Midland" website refers to licences that the CAA granted "bmi" in 1999 to serve New York, Washington, Miami and Boston from Heathrow.

Whatever happened to these?

And "flymeagain" seems to be quite right, the same webpage also waxes lyrical about "the success of its transatlantic flights from Manchester to Washington and Chicago with a maximum five star rating for its service in the May 2002 issue of Business Traveller magazine."

Something doesn't tally here.
:confused:

Hap Hazard
27th Jul 2002, 18:23
Whino, I agree, bmi management operate on a knee jerk basis, that changes from day to day, only with a big delay....we pilots get fed up with it, and I for one am getting a bit tired of hoping that my future with this carrier is going to be what I hoped......
Oh well, rant over, heres to an upturn in the market. :rolleyes:

Caslance
27th Jul 2002, 22:54
Wino,

There we go agreeing again!

I shall have to call in next year on my way to see my daughters in New Zealand!!!

I always liked Noo Joysey!

Wino
27th Jul 2002, 23:20
Heh heh,

Satan's nads must be well and truly frozen off by now. Its been frozen over in hell for quite a while hasn't it <G>...

Stop on by, or better yet come to the NY bash this fall.

Cheers
Wino