PDA

View Full Version : My dressing gown material affects my desk top keyboard

Centaurus
12th Jul 2018, 14:40
On many occasions when typing away on my desk top computer keyboard, without any warning the keyboard would run away in a fraction of a second with a serious of zeroes. At no stage had I inadvertently touched and held a key down. The only common denominator was that I was wearing a certain dressing gown which has a synthetic base. I stopped wearing the dressing gown when using my computer and I have had no further events like that. That was several months back. This evening I donned the same dressing gown and was typing away on a Pprune page when without specific input from me a line of zeros added themselves to the sentence I was typing - all in a fraction of a second. On past occasions sometimes the sentence I am typing runs away backwards erasing itself. If I am quick enough I can prevent the sentence from being erased by touching any key which stops the runaway action.
See the cut and paste below of the event this evening while typing a Pprune comment: (highlighted in red).. Could this conceivably be caused by an electrostatic action from a nylon based dressing gown in close vicinity of the key board?

Normally that would be a serious event as the drag from a fully open upper cowl flap would be prohibitive in event of an engine failure at that stage. It would be inconceibale 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000
Second question. I made a typo in the main heading. (I typed the word deck instead of desk). I tried to delete it and type the correct spelling but I could not erase the single letter I needed to erase. This happens only with the main subject heading. How do I re-write the main subject heading or change a word or a letter, without going to the trouble of deleting the complete subject and starting all over again?

Saab Dastard
12th Jul 2018, 16:01
Only moderators & admins can alter the title of a thread. If you want to, you can copy the content of your post, delete the original and repost with the corrected title and paste in your content. The problem with that is that any posts by others that were added subsequently would be deleted also, so it's only viable while there's no replies.

SD

taxydual
12th Jul 2018, 19:52
Bin the Dressing Go000000000000000000000000000000000wn

ShyTorque
12th Jul 2018, 20:23
Dressing gown? Have you made sure your todger isn't flopping out on the keyboard? :p

Lancman
13th Jul 2018, 05:01
Your dressing gown needs an earthing wire.

Philoctetes
13th Jul 2018, 10:18
Keyboard wired or wireless? If later, some form of static discharge is interfering with the signal. If former, don't know.

Centaurus
13th Jul 2018, 14:59
Keyboard wired or wireless?

Had no problems until I switched to wireless.

taxydual
13th Jul 2018, 17:17
I had something very similar with a wireless mouse. Had a mind of it's own every so often. Turned out to be static caused by me walking on a very old carpet with a high nylon content. I binned the carpet. Problem solved.

Mark in CA
6th Aug 2018, 14:43
My wife has a dressing gown that makes me go 00000000000000000000 when she gets close to me! ;)