PDA

View Full Version : Mil MI-8 over South Croydon...

treadigraph
8th Jul 2018, 10:15
Rather unusual, what I think was an MI-8 or MI-17 just passed over Purley/South Croydon heading NE. Think it was sandy brown but a bit difficult to tell as it was silhouetted against the sky... any clues please as to who/what/why? Possibly in connection with RIAT but isn't it a bit early and heading the wrong way :p?

Have to say, it was beautifully quiet compared with the Squirrels, Dauphins and A109s that are the usual fling wing fare over here.

Also noted a Russian registered R66 fizzing past yesterday.

chevvron
8th Jul 2018, 10:21
One of each owned by Aces High at Dunsfold.

G-ANPK
8th Jul 2018, 11:08
Chevvron
Nothing to do with Aces High, as their Russian helicopter is not airworthy.

Tredigraph -: What you saw was 21(White) Mil 8 MTV-1 of the Lithuanian A/F on it`s way home from Yeovilton airshow.
The Russian R66 was going to Denham
hth
G-ANPK

treadigraph
8th Jul 2018, 12:23
Thanks, 'PK, that is an unusual sight then! I did notice a Lithuanian AF C-27 outbound Yeovilton about the same time - it went the other way on Friday, heard it pass over the top, also a German Navy P-3... couldn't see either. ADSB could though!

Don't know that I've ever seen an MI-8 before, they weren't common in Western skies when I was a spotter and I haven't been to RIAT in 20 years.

Cheers

Treadders

SpringHeeledJack
8th Jul 2018, 12:44
Also noted a Russian registered R66 fizzing past yesterday.

I noticed that one flying over Herts last week and wondered to myself how it was possible for a Russian private helicopter to be based and operated in the UK ?

LynxDriver
12th Jul 2018, 09:36
I noticed that one flying over Herts last week and wondered to myself how it was possible for a Russian private helicopter to be based and operated in the UK ?

Ditto. Had me thinking the very same!

SpringHeeledJack
12th Jul 2018, 09:52
It's been around for a while, I'm sure that I've seen it on flights trackers over the last 2-3 years.