PDA

View Full Version : Force majeure

NaterladdeR
7th Jul 2018, 09:16
Hi!
I am a student pilot starting my last semester of training.
The flight academy I am attending has not been able to give my class the flight hours progression due to few aircrafts, few instructors and poor weather (Mostly due to visibility minimas). In my contract it states that the course will be completed in 22-24 months, unless "force majeure". My question is: Should I speak up and demand the school to prioritize me and my class, or are they protected by the term "force majeure"?

Intrance
7th Jul 2018, 21:21
Two out of three items are completely within the schools' control. The last, poor weather, should generally only fall under force majeure if the weather has been worse than normal in my opinion. Then again, I'm not a lawyer and it might actually be best to put this question to a lawyer if you want a more dependable answer.

BluSdUp
8th Jul 2018, 19:11
This is pure poor planning from the school . We have not had a better spring and summer in years!
Welcome to the aviation industry.
Was the training otherwise to your satisfaction.?

Matra 4EB
8th Jul 2018, 20:27
There you go, couldn't have said it better. Wait until your first job, then see what crewing, flight ops, H.R., and management will do to you. You will be hearing many promises from now on.

NaterladdeR
8th Jul 2018, 20:35
That's what I thought. I have contacted a group of law students in Oslo, hoping for some clarification of how poor the weather must be to call it a force majeure.
I am quite happy with the rest of the program. We were the first class to use PadPilot, and it has a few hickups, but all in all a good program. For my flying I had a great instructor, and the senior instructors are both strict and experienced. Too bad most apply for Widerĝe and leave

How straight forward do you recommend I should be when dealing with this? I have heard the if the school tell the airlines of you complaining you might lose a job opportunity. Is it true?