PDA

View Full Version : PPL training in Kenya

double_barrel
6th Jul 2018, 17:08
I plan to do a PPL in Nairobi There are several flight schools, but I am aware that standards are highly variable. Does anyone have advice on who to use or who to avoid ?

Thanks

Matra 4EB
6th Jul 2018, 20:09
Well, if you are doing a PPL to find out whether flying is for you, and you are considering to becoming a professional pilot, then I'd recommend the 99s Flying School. That's where I started my career way back in 1991.
They are friendly, very well organized, well equipped, fair priced, and have over 30 years of experience. Many of their staff are airline pilots or ex-KAF. Their instructors are usually their own (ex)students. Give them a call, send an email, or check out their facebook-page.

Or, if flying is your hobby and you want to enjoy the fun-part of it in your free time, you may prefer the more exquisite option. In this case check out Pegasus. They are situated right next to the Aero Club of East Africa. Last time I checked with them (more than 15 years ago, but nevertheless) if you rented a plane from them, you were also permitted to go into the members-only section of the Aero Club. Which is normally a rather expensive, traditional place. Go there in the evening, have a drink and meet other pilots. Their flying school has also decades of experience and plenty of equipment. I have, however, met some rather arrogant dudes over there in the past.

double_barrel
7th Jul 2018, 10:39
Thanks Matra. I plan purely recreational flying. Pegasus seem to be defunct - at least they have no up to date online presence, maybe I will drop by and have a look.

rcsa
8th Jul 2018, 11:29
Thanks Matra. I plan purely recreational flying. Pegasus seem to be defunct - at least they have no up to date online presence, maybe I will drop by and have a look.

Not defunct, but somewhat reduced in scope - still a great place to learn though. Drop me a PM and I'll send you a number for them.