PDA

View Full Version : Insurance

dedu
5th Jul 2018, 09:13
I have something eating my head, If a pilot Crash a plane can insurance cover passenger and machine and not the pilot?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
5th Jul 2018, 21:56
In a word, Yes. The aircraft has to be insured and almost every passenger will either have their own insurance or will be covered by their employers insurance. Unless the pilot has insurance through his employer or (if he's a private pilot) has insurance that covers him to fly, he'll be on his own.

Of course this changes if the accident investigation concludes that the crash was due to pilot error/negligence etc.

There will be many experts in this field who will answer you when they see this thread, but that's my understanding.

NEO

dedu
7th Jul 2018, 09:38
I am talking about 5Y-DKK crush in Tanzania AIG payed the machine and the passenger not the Captain. Captain Private insurance was due does this mean the machine cover does not cover him. It was not pilot error.

Hawkeye0001
8th Jul 2018, 18:15
Hi DeDu! I've never managed to find out what the official conclusion of the investigation was, would you mind sending me a PM? I used to work a lot with William when I still flew out of Arusha. Cheers!

Phone Wind
8th Jul 2018, 20:22
Aircraft insurance can be very complex and confusing, especially for the pilot. It may depend on whether the pilot is defined as a ‘covered pilot’ (which means protected under the owner’s insurance policy). This often depends on whether the pilot is considered an employee or an independent contractor.

In the case of the 5Y-DKK accident, the airframe and its occupants were found completely burnt out and I don’t know of any official report of the cause (and sadly Inthink it’s unlikely there ever will be). The only mention on the French BEA website is : ‘From eye witness explanation, it appears that the aircraft just fell from the sky with no power, after initially having flown low for some distance’

4 Holer
9th Jul 2018, 06:04
The aircraft insurance only covers liability on the ground, passenger and cargo liability and hull loss if included. Normally the aircraft insurance does not cover the crew this is a separate workers compensation insurance for the operators AOC requirement.

Phone Wind
9th Jul 2018, 08:33
Normally the aircraft insurance does not cover the crew this is a separate workers compensation insurance for the operators AOC requirement.

That depends very much on the owner/operator. The last three companies for which I flew provided differing levels of insurance cover for crew. All provided life insurance and differing levels of additional insurance (sickness, loss of licence etc). Of the African companies I worked for (as opposed to companies I flew for in Africa), one provided accident insurance, the others nothing. Under most regulatory authorities the minimum legal level of insurance will be:

passengers
baggage
third party cover
cargo
risks of war and terrorism (‘war risk’)

I suspect (but don’t know) sadly that William would only have been covered if he had taken out insurance himself.

dedu
10th Jul 2018, 10:52
William used to have his own insurance cover of which it expire on April of the same year. I assumed that the machine insurance cover the pilot, and if as above mentioned ‘covered pilot’ William was not can he be allowed to be in that machine and if not what is the consequence?

dr27
11th Jul 2018, 06:12
get a good insurance broker (not one that offers the cheapest deal- you get what you pay for although a good one should be able to get you a competitive price) and be guided by him/her

Geosync
11th Jul 2018, 13:11
If the pilots are employees, typically they are covered under workers compensation, which is a separate policy from a standard hull and liability policy. It does get tricky if the pilots are contractors, or if the operator does not buy WC.