View Full Version : Rossair In Receivership

Stationair8
4th Jul 2018, 04:22
Sad news for Rossair, with a receiver being appointed.
Business website the bull.com.au reporting the details.

Capt Fathom
4th Jul 2018, 05:06
thebull.com.au

Desert Flower
4th Jul 2018, 05:38
Guess we all knew that it was inevitable. A Sad day indeed.

DF.

megan
5th Jul 2018, 01:14
Very sad news, 55 or so years is not bad going for a GA company I'd venture. Knew Ross from before the company started, when he was flying for Silver City Air Taxi, still have my PPL certificate from Ross Aviation signed by John Marshall. Ross used to loan us the company car whenever we visited, don't get service like that these days, top guy.

Horatio Leafblower
6th Jul 2018, 03:42
...55 or so years is not bad going for a GA company I'd venture. Knew Ross from before the company started...

A long time since he owned it I'd suggest megan.
Like a lot of small businesses, the sale of a successful business to new owners is often the beginning of the end.... or the end of the end.
In recent memory I can think of Macair, Airtex/Heron, Vincent, Aeropelican/Brindabella, Airlink Dubbo, Air North, a number of maintenance businesses, CHAT and of course Air South.
Not all the above have exactly followed the Receivership path of course but there are similarities.
New owners buy in and change the direction of the business, piss off the employees, "Manage out" the passionate ones who long for the old days, replace them with enthusiastic newbies who may or may not have a clue but are big fans of the new boss.
There have been successes too - but in GA so much of the company's success rides on the passion, abilities and drive of the founder. Remove the founder and you can remove the heart.

Of Rossair's assets, I am told there's not much of value left in the aircraft - 1 Conquest had a lightning strike and has rippled wings (thanks to another operator) - 1 has a creased tailplane and is an organ donor - 1 is super high time and needs engines - and 1 is parked crooked in Renmark.

One Bras I saw with no engines and the other looks OK.

What happened to the B1900s?

megan
7th Jul 2018, 01:51
A long time since he owned it I'd suggest megan Too true Horatio, guess I was referring to the longevity of his name, bit like Warwick's Opal Air, the name lives on, still.

Pinky the pilot
15th Sep 2018, 07:34
Resurrecting this thread; In the business section of today's SA Advertiser newspaper there is an article re the Rossair fleet being auctioned off.

The phones have been running hot at Pickles Auctions once word got out that there was going to be seven aircraft up for grabs.
There has also been interest from aircraft charter groups in Western Australia, Queensland and overseas.

Three Conquests are amongst the aircraft mentioned as being available and the article mentions that they are expected to be the cheapest, "expecting to reach around the $US400,000."

The two B1900's are expected to go for "up to $USI million each...."

:hmm:

George Glass
15th Sep 2018, 09:42
Got my first break in aviation almost 40 years ago with Rossair.Great company,always paid the award and treated people well.Frank Calder will be turning in his grave.

markis10
16th Sep 2018, 02:19
Resurrecting this thread; In the business section of today's SA Advertiser newspaper there is an article re the Rossair fleet being auctioned off.

Three Conquests are amongst the aircraft mentioned as being available and the article mentions that they are expected to be the cheapest, "expecting to reach around the $US400,000."

The two B1900's are expected to go for "up to $USI million each...."

:hmm:

More details

https://www.planesales.com.au/details/Listing/Multi-Engine-Propeller/5233/1978-Cessna-441-Conquest--II

Horatio Leafblower
16th Sep 2018, 07:26
I am told that the three remaining Conquests are all in a fairly poor state. Missing components, Timex engines, a bent tailplane and magnetised engines from a lightning strike....

Pinky the pilot
16th Sep 2018, 07:50
Horatio; Check out the photos shown in the link supplied by markis10.

That and the accompanying descriptions tell you all you need to know!:sad:

megle2
16th Sep 2018, 09:07
They are in a sorry state looking through that ad. The crippled Cessna 340, who flogged the undercarriage?

Pinky the pilot
16th Sep 2018, 10:00
megle2; That 340 has nothing to do with the ex-Rossair aircraft.

And according to the info supplied, it was sitting on a runway with engines idling when the gear retracted.

Duck Pilot
16th Sep 2018, 12:39
The C340 may have been the one that was involved in a unfortunate event at YLIL earlier this year, there is a bit of a spat on the event somewhere on this forum.