PDA

View Full Version : Self fund training or wait for a cadet scheme?

FredDickens
3rd Jul 2018, 22:23
Are the major airlines hiring zero hour pilots who recently passed their MPL/fATPL or do they only recruit through their cadet schemes? I looked into becoming a pilot a few years ago and decided on a different career path, but that itch has not gone away.

I remember a thread on these forums asking a similar thing a few weeks ago, but I cannot find it now. I can afford to pay for the training and then look for work after gaining the license, but my worry is about how likely airlines are to hire me over or in addition to their existing cadet schemes. I assume that the risk to them is much lower as I would have already completed training and they would not need to wait a year for the cadets to pass (with a risk of some failing). I just do not want to be stuck with a very expensive piece of paper at the end of it, with no hopes of finding a job. I appreciate that the economic climate in one years time is unknown, especially with things like Brexit, but I would appreciate some honest opinions on whether to start training or wait for a cadet scheme?