PDA

View Full Version : Bloody marvellous

NutLoose
30th Jun 2018, 10:15
Enough said, watch the film

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-44663942/ww2-pilot-takes-helicopter-to-make-comrade-s-funeral

Fantome
30th Jun 2018, 10:43
Enough said, watch the film

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-wales-44663942/ww2-pilot-takes-helicopter-to-make-comrade-s-funeral

thanks a million Nutty. (They threw the mold away. Eh!)

oldpax
30th Jun 2018, 10:43
I was in Nijmegan on the fiftieth anniversary of the bridge there being taken on the way to Arnhem,Lord Carrington led the parade across the bridge in a tank as he had in 1944.I remember the Dutch people lining the bridge all in tears ,so was I .It was so moving.A visit to the airborn museum in Arnhem is a must to see what took place there in 1944.Glider pilots,brave men all.

MPN11
30th Jun 2018, 13:40
Severely dusty moment!

Salute, Sir!

Chris Kebab
30th Jun 2018, 14:59
Fantastic; and well done to all those who helped to get him there.

Danny42C
30th Jun 2018, 17:07
I believe that, on an earlier Pegasus Bridge anniversary celebration, the Airborne Major who led the assault on the bridge was pushed across (in his wheelchair) by the old chap who had been his driver on the day !

Respect !

cargosales
30th Jun 2018, 18:50
Agreed, a very dusty day here. What courage they had... and showed ..

Also agreed about the attitude of the Dutch. I will always remember the incredible support and encouragement from the locals, not least when we marched across Nijmegen Bridge in uniform, as part of the thousands of mil personnel taking part in the Vierdaagse (Nijmegen Marches).

CS

Noobyflewby
30th Jun 2018, 19:09
Total respect for a gentleman who clearly did his duty during his service life - and afterwards.

Chugalug2
30th Jun 2018, 19:11
In the early 70s I had the privilege of dropping a stick of the Paras from a Herc onto one of the large Arnhem DZs. Our DZ wasn't very large though, more a postage stamp, as the entire heath was packed full of Dutch spectators. We may have an on/off relationship with many of their neighbours, but the Dutch have been stalwart friends since the war. As to the GPR, many were RAF and all were fully trained troops, for there is no room for bystanders in a battle. Respect to them all and in particular to this gentleman for paying his respects to a friend and comrade in this special way.