PDA

View Full Version : Books: PPL Course Series OR Air Pilot's Manual Series

b
29th Jul 2001, 14:05
Which is the better of the two? Are there any other than these?

bruce88
30th Jul 2001, 18:45
The Air Pilots Manuel Is widely used and I used it and passed the exams with out any problems, I do'nt know about the PPL Coutse series , I haven't used it.

tacpot
30th Jul 2001, 21:03
I've used the PPL Course series to good effect. I'm passing the PPL exams with good marks.

The explainations are clear, and concise - in some cases too concise, i.e. at first reading you don't realised the wealth of information packed into a single sentence or two, and it is only with re-reading (or studying!) that material does the subject justice.

I'm not a user of the Thom series, so I can't really compare. I would say that the PPL Course series only just covers the syllabus, there is very little else in the books other than that required to pass the exams. This is with the exception of the Flight Safety half of the Human Factors book, which although valuable is quite the most 'wordy' section of any in the series.

In summary; a little bit light, but very clear.

SKYYACHT
31st Jul 2001, 19:42
b,

Either Trevor Thom's Air Pilot's Manuals vols 1-7 are fine, as are R D Campbell's books. You could also try the PPL course as written by Jeremy M Pratt (Published and sold by AFE in Manchester). I would suggest that although these books can be a tad expensive, dont be tempted to buy second hand (Unless you can be sure they are VERY RECENT editions) as it is unlikeley that the chapters on legislation are up to date. I would also suggest Human Performance & Limitations by Campbell and Bagshaw. Hope that helps,

Tailwinds :D

Cloudwatcher
2nd Aug 2001, 18:08
I agree with Skyyacht the Trevor Thom books are fine, I find them fairly easy to read and the explanations are good.(To be fair though I have nothing to compare them with as these were the only books I was intoduced to)
Regards
CW