PDA

View Full Version : Saddleworth Moorland Fires

Oscar Charlie 192
29th Jun 2018, 20:25
Refering to the serious fire on Saddleworth Moor and, the volumes of smoke being produced, in the vicinity of the approach to 23 at EGCC Manchester.

Is it better to have that at the departure, or approach end of a runway? Assuming the winds allow the option.

I'm guessing more freedom, in the climb out and less distraction.

(Obviously, NOT having it at all, is THE best option.)

chaps1954
30th Jun 2018, 06:12
I live under the approach to 23L and since Tuesday there has been no smoke problem as it is drifting further north towards Manchester city centre

Ian

Oscar Charlie 192
1st Jul 2018, 18:57
I live under the approach to 23L and since Tuesday there has been no smoke problem as it is drifting further north towards Manchester city centre

Ian

As do I, Ian. According to FlightRadar24, about 12 miles out. It sometimes feels that our house is the turning point, from Base to Final.
It does provide some decent photo's, without having to go too far afield.

NudgingSteel
5th Jul 2018, 23:08
Hi - as an ATCO I'd prefer to have any smoke plume at the departure end. This would allow pilots to have a look and decide if they were going to depart through it, with the luxury of sitting on the ground making the decision! Also the departure climb angle will be much steeper than the 3 degree glidepath for arrivals - so departures would climb above it much quicker. Finally, departures have the option of making a turn to avoid it if necessary - they could do this within a mile or so of the runway, whereas inbounds are committed to being on the centreline for (at the very least) 4 or 5 miles.