PDA

View Full Version : Guess who's back on top?

Yonosoy Marinero
26th Jun 2018, 09:23
HK is back at the top of the list for most expensive cities of the World for expats...

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44602412

Food for thought for new the Brushwhatchamacall'em joining us from abroad, and a fun fact for the NC to bring up at the negotiating table...
Not that this is anything new, of course.

thirdfloorpeak
26th Jun 2018, 10:41
the 0% is covered in the 13th month!

Farman Biplane
26th Jun 2018, 11:36
But we do not hire any “expats”, everyone is now hired on a “local” contract, which makes the place eminently liveable and affordable.
I have heard that when you finally realise that the “local” contract is not liveable, they do not even provide a ticket back to your “home” country!

SloppyJoe
26th Jun 2018, 18:36
Even if you're able to get a huge villa for peanuts out in New Territories or the middle of nowhere

Where are these cheap villas, please enlighten me as would love to get in on that.

Cheapest huge villa I have seen is well over HK$20,000,000, maybe our opinion of a huge villa differs.

In fact if you type huge villa into google the equivalent in hkg would be over $200,000,000, my figure above is for an average sized house in the UK.

A350HK
27th Jun 2018, 02:49
Where are these cheap villas, please enlighten me as would love to get in on that.

Cheapest huge villa I have seen is well over HK$20,000,000, maybe our opinion of a huge villa differs.

In fact if you type huge villa into google the equivalent in hkg would be over $200,000,000, my figure above is for an average sized house in the UK.

A whole village house in Tai Po, Tuen Mun, Yuen Long will set you back at least 15mil

Flex88
27th Jun 2018, 04:49

In the paper today, nice Townhomes sold for USD 63 MILLION each.. How's that big pay check looking now ??

crwkunt roll
27th Jun 2018, 09:28
Honestly, why does anybody bother posting "HK is the world's most expensive" this or that.........?
Employers don't care (airlines anyway), and neither do the people joining.

jetjockey696
9th Jul 2018, 04:36
Over the weekend a tiny (286sqft) studio flat in Hong Kong’s North Point district has gone on sale for more than HK$10 million (US$1.27 million), on the site of a former public housing (council) estate. A 181 sq ft studio flat at Novum Point, also in North Point, last month changed hands for HK5.87 million (US$ 748k). then add the expensive serivce fee per month and utilities I guess you be operating in the minus area.

Flex88
9th Jul 2018, 08:58
There are many well renovated village houses, Pui O or far our Sai Kung... As long as you don't mind the country-ness, rent can be below 40K, or below 15mil.

This is great, "Carol" now is insinuating that in the far out reaches of HK where the wild buffalo still roam you can still find "REASONABLE" priced accommodation.
Rent from ONLY US $5200 p/m or can buy some 30 year old 3 story walk up for "ONLY" US $1,900,000. Cheap eh !! Of course this does not cover the car you will need, the helper to keep all 3 floors + the yard clean or the 3 floors worth of air conditioners running all summer long (6 months min). These whether you rent or buy..
What a deal.
Got kids, calculate mega $$$ for school fees & debentures..

Carol has ether lost her (I assume) grip on reality or her husband is a banker.. You decide.

Flex88
20th Jul 2018, 06:56
School costs take another big jump and the article does not mention the debenture or sport fees +++...
Thor the slayer will make sure all his new hire pilots can afford to educate their children, right, Right ??

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/education/article/2156047/international-schools-hong-kong-cost-85-cent-more-family