PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL with an African Passport - Worry or not?

Mazoe Orange
25th Jun 2018, 18:37
Hi everyone,

Could anybody offer some guidance or feedback on how my situation would hold up in possible future interviews with the airlines here in the U.K.?

I am a Zimbabwean citizen, with an ancestral visa, which allows me to live and work freely within the United Kingdom. However, if I am to obtain all the requirements; EASA MEIR & CPL, MCC/JOC here in the U.K. by the end of the year, I'd want to obtain those knowing I stand a chance at the interview stages, and not get turned away on the basis of my passport. Do airline companies offer help in the work permits/ schengen visa and immigration in these certain cases, or will I be sent to the back of the line?

lucasnobre
3rd Jul 2018, 12:08
Hi everyone,

Could anybody offer some guidance or feedback on how my situation would hold up in possible future interviews with the airlines here in the U.K.?

I am a Zimbabwean citizen, with an ancestral visa, which allows me to live and work freely within the United Kingdom. However, if I am to obtain all the requirements; EASA MEIR & CPL, MCC/JOC here in the U.K. by the end of the year, I'd want to obtain those knowing I stand a chance at the interview stages, and not get turned away on the basis of my passport. Do airline companies offer help in the work permits/ schengen visa and immigration in these certain cases, or will I be sent to the back of the line?

Hello Mate,
I'm married to an European. I have the same situation. I'm not sure if companies would consider us.
I appreciate if anyone could give us some feedback.

rudestuff
3rd Jul 2018, 21:25
I'm fairly sure it would be illegal to discriminate based on a passport (as long as you have the right to live and work)

nebojsar
8th Jul 2018, 12:52
If you don't have right to live and work within EU, all doors to you within Europe will be closed. Although there is "high demand" in Europe, no airline will sponsor any kind of work visa for you.
I quoted high demand intentionally as although there are many positions advertised there is still high number of applicants for each position so there is no real big shortage, rather normal
healthy demand with healthy chance to get job.

I have myself European but non-eu passport and I have no chance even to apply for many opened positions, I simply have to look at Asia or Africa for job. Good thing is that in UK you have
strong market with strong demand so you should be fine.

KongFlyer
8th Jul 2018, 14:46
As long as you have a permanent visa for the country you want to work in it should be fine. Im a non EU citizen and I have a permanent residence permit in an EU country, so I work on a local contract. Good luck.

redsnail
8th Jul 2018, 21:07
So long as you have a visa with multiple entry permitted for the UK (usual right to work and abode), you're all right for an airline like easyJet (UK). My husband was on an ancestral visa and he joined them in 2003. Now he's a British citizen etc.

I meant to say, you'll be restricted to the UK until the UK figures out exactly what sort of Brexit they want...

joelisbaker
12th Jul 2018, 15:49
I also am a non EU Citizen with a permanent residency status in Germany (waiting for my citizenship application to finish this summer). It seems most of the airlines in Europe are requiring a EU Passport which obviously means holding a citizenship. In Germany, on the other hand, all airlines seem to accept a German permanent residency.