PDA

View Full Version : RAAF and MQ-4C Triton

TBM-Legend
25th Jun 2018, 17:35
https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/politics/federal/australia-to-spend-nearly-7-billion-buying-unmanned-military-planes-from-america-20180625-p4znmc.html

Looks like at long last the RAAF will receive their MQ-4C Tritons to complement our fleet of 12 [15] P-8A's....
Gulfstream G550 ISR/EW's to follow.

tartare
25th Jun 2018, 23:16
I find myself wondering what Australia would do if the Chinese shot one down.
Not quite the same as splashing an aircraft with crew on board.
But this is a very expensive Defense asset.
Strongly worded demarche?
Boot out Ambassador Chenge?
I assume even at 55k feet, and the ability to see 2,000 miles in a single sensor sweep, they'll be kept well clear of any trouble.

EDIT: I note the in service date is 2023 - the above question is probably a moot point given that they'll either have invaded Taiwan by then, or the west's war with China will be over... :)

Buster Hyman
26th Jun 2018, 03:10
I find myself wondering what Australia would do if the Chinese shot one down.

Easy. I refer you to the Italian job for the solution. (FFWD to 1:45)

https://youtu.be/3hcmGG6VUsU

Ascend Charlie
26th Jun 2018, 03:44
Made by American defence giant Northrop Grumman, each aircraft can monitor an area the size of Switzerland - about 40,000 square kilometres - in a day.

....why the heck do we want to monitor Switzerland, anyway??

SRFred
26th Jun 2018, 07:51
....why the heck do we want to monitor Switzerland, anyway??

Given the quality of Australian politicians, why not?

Dalek Leader
28th Jun 2018, 04:26
6 billion dollars for 6 MQ-4C Tritons? That makes them about 3-4 times the cost of a P-8A Poseiden I think. Is that value for money? And if our 'friends' in the South China Sea did decide to launch a SAM, can it defend itself at all? Chaff, flares, maneuvering?

orca
28th Jun 2018, 07:14
But what is the cost per square mile scanned or cost of re-visit rate? Crew cost? Training cost? Infrastructure?

I think we’re beyond simple maths here!

Captain Dart
28th Jun 2018, 08:30
Big savings on not having to provide ‘frozos’ for the Airborne Eating Officers!

Davef68
29th Jun 2018, 13:02
Both the USN and the RAAF plan to use the MQ-4 and P-8 in conjunction as complementary platforms- wonder if we will see an RAF MQ-4 buy in the future, or is the passing reference to a maritime role for Protector in a recent press release an indicator of what we will do with them when we are not engaged on operations in the ME?