PDA

View Full Version : China Airlines 747 excursion at KORD

fox niner
22nd Jun 2018, 21:00
Incident: China Airlines B744 at Chicago on Jun 21st 2018, touched down off the runway and went around (http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4ba33b1c&opt=0)

close call. Exited the pavement during landing, over the grass, and fortunately made it into the air again for a second (successful) landing attempt.
Hair raising event.

Smithy02
23rd Jun 2018, 00:47
Autoland?? It would not be the first case of an aircraft departing the runway after landing.

Station Zero
23rd Jun 2018, 08:01
It will be interesting to see the nature of damage, is it just wheels/tires or was debris thrown up into the flaps, aft fuse etc. as the jet has not flown since by the looks of it.

JammedStab
23rd Jun 2018, 23:34
Autoland?? It would not be the first case of an aircraft departing the runway after landing.

A runway excursion of of 10L is very concerning but an excursion to the left side of 10C would be extremely dangerous. Take a look at google earth between taxiways P3 and P5 and you will see a road. It is not overly obvious in the google earth overhead view but this road is mostly a tunnel underneath runways and taxiways. However, it is uncovered between P3 and P5 and when you taxi by it, you can see that any aircraft that went into this area at any particular speed would be a mass casualty event. I am surprised that the FAA allows this. If you really zoom in, you can see the vertical concrete wall.

Paris has similar on the north side of the airport with a highway.

underfire
24th Jun 2018, 17:58
crew advised they were going around having had a last minute deviation on the runway.

what does this mean?

wiggy
24th Jun 2018, 18:11
what does this mean?

Possibly what it says on the tin..crew didn’t like something, perhaps where they were headed, so performed a go-around after touchdown/rejected landing..

wiedehopf
24th Jun 2018, 18:47
what does this mean?
That's what i understand on the clip available at liveatc:
"Dynasty 5148 we are going around due to last minute deviation on the runway"

So it's really not clear.

To speculate a bit:
There was a departure of an ERJ-175 immediately before they landed but i doubt that would mess the localizer up long enough to be a problem even for an autoland if they did one.
Maybe just the pilots way to describe they were going the wrong direction. The reason for that "deviation" will hopefully be in the report some day.

Global Aviator
25th Jun 2018, 11:30
Don’t know the 747...... however weight on wheels...

At least a proper go around!

wiggy
25th Jun 2018, 11:41
Don’t know the 747...... however weight on wheels...

If it’s the commencement of the go-around that you are querying as I recall it OK to go-around on the 744 until reverse selected...WOW not a factor.

short bus
22nd Jul 2018, 03:07
Video of this incident:

http://youtu.be/yYiSrTUyXbo

pilot11
24th Jul 2018, 17:26
Autoland attempt without protection of LOC sensitive area, no LVP in force?

av8sean
25th Jul 2018, 05:45
Obviously the weather was not that bad. Why can't pilots just look out the window?

Boeing_Guy
25th Jul 2018, 21:54
Obviously the weather was not that bad. Why can't pilots just look out the window?

Because the only manual control they are proficient in is taxing. Flying is for autopilot.

act700
26th Jul 2018, 08:01
Well...not sure about that..there's lots of carnage during taxiing as well (ANC, ladders, ground equipment vs wings; grass medians with Jumbos inside at YVR, list goes on)

Because the only manual control they are proficient in is taxing. Flying is for autopilot.

TPE Flyer
26th Jul 2018, 09:12
Manual Flying is actively discouraged. I was once admonsihed for disconnecting the auto pilot as the speed increased rapidly towards VMO due to windshear during a STAR. After disagreeing with the Instructor and showing him the FCTM, where it clearly states to Take Over. His response, "we don't use that manual in this airline. We don't fly Airbus, we fly China Airlines procedures." "The Auto Pilot will always do a better job than a pilot will do."
Taxiing is a different story. Again a result of being unable to think for themselves. A stystemic problem that will never be corrected. 150hr Cadets, trained by former 150hr cadets that have never flown for another airline or experienced any other operation anywhere else in the World. So the bad habits of previous generations just keep repeating themselves.
10min breifings before every departure and approach, and they still f*&k it up.
How the regulators around the World accept their approach to the operation is beyond me. When they refused to repatriate me after I resigned, I was more than happy to buy a ticket on another carrier.

Jet Jockey A4
26th Jul 2018, 12:05
I have a friend who flew as a captain for one of the majors in Taiwan and the stuff he told me about their pilots was really unbelievable... He used to say it was a "baby sitting" job and to always expect the unexpectable with them.

short bus
27th Jul 2018, 00:36
Photos of the sod:

https://youtu.be/uCm-UoKil6Y

Toruk Macto
27th Jul 2018, 11:32
http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201806270021.aspx

roybert
27th Jul 2018, 13:08
CAL, EVA pilots could strike over dispute with airlines | Society | FocusTaiwan Mobile - CNA English News (http://m.focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201806270021.aspx)

Toruk
This has what to do with China Airlines landing a 747 in the grass?

Roybert