PDA

View Full Version : New approaches to noise abatement?

akerosid
25th Jul 2002, 16:49
I've been thinking about ways in which "aggressive noise" abatement could be used to push forward runway approvals, particularly at LHR. I'd just like to put a few ideas forward. Obviously the new rwy won't be open until at least 2007/8, by which time new technology should contribute to the issue, but for starters:

- The development of a new sub-class of Performance A aircraft (say A2) which would have certain instrumentation, descent/climb characteristics, which would tie with pretty stringent SID/STAR/Approach requirements. Equipment would need to include FPA selection on autopilot (which most acft now have anyway?)
- Approach: 5 degree FPA to c.1500', IGS (a la Kai Tak) to allow varying appoaches, to spread noise burden
- Ban on use of reversers (except for snow, ice, emergency)
- Rolling TO at TOGA/Max power, immediate turn to avoid built up areas or to follow 27R departure path; either climbing turn or 18-20 degree climbout (feasible?)
- Any other possibilities?

I appreciate these seem fairly "hairy" , but if the aircraft have the capability and it contributes to the approval process, why not? Also, are there any other features which could be used? Noise suppressing boundary walls (similar to those at aprons/hangars), any other suggestions?

From a pilot's viewpoint, how aggressive can SIDS/approaches be? Comments?

m&v
25th Jul 2002, 19:06
Your suggestions aren't newand have certain applications world wide.
The FAA years ago 'explored ' the 2 glideslope concept.Initially a 6degree to Intercept the 3degree about 1000/1500'agl..the application of thrust at the intercept point negated the quiet credit up to that time......The L1011 would be able to comply due to it's unique Direct lift flight controls.
In Canada certain runways suggest/request no reverse thrust -unless required,and in the night operations.
The industry might argue with the requirement for Toga Take offs every time,rolling takeoff's aren't utilized enough as ATC put you in position ,waiting the runway to be cleared.....
Banking after takeoff could be improved upon,Chicago appreciate it with an immediate turn.....
Maybe it's time for an Industry review of your suggestions:)