PDA

View Full Version : A PPL's chances of a BA CEP place

Captain Ratpup
28th Jul 2001, 21:46
So here I am with a PPL and 75hrs under my belt. I'm confident I can pass the Class One medical.

I'm now thinking of raising my level of experience by stringing on a Night, IMC and (possibly) a Multi rating. However, I'm buttock-clenchingly cautious about the view that BA takes on people like me who aren't complete beginners but would still go down the sponsored route.

Should I stay put and try to be as inexperienced as possible, to pacify BA? Or should I just say 'to hell with it' and start working towards a modular CPL/IR and virtually scrap my chances of immediate BA recruitment?

Anybody been in the same boat? I'd appreciate all the info I can get!

Carl :rolleyes:

Pontius
28th Jul 2001, 23:13
Carl,

Despite the rumours from alleged experts on this forum, BA does not penalise flying experience. If you want to add various ratings to your PPL then go ahead and do so, it all increases your portfolio in demonstrating your motivation to fly.

Having said all that, it is not a requirement to have any flying experience to gain a TEP place, but most people have at least had a go. I put this in as a qualifier before the above experts start telling you no flying rules you out.

My advice: (1)Get your application form in (you've done well to get a PPL so you could potentially save yourself some ££s) (2)If you've got the time and the money, get your night/IMC ratings. They're good fun and beat flying to another airfield for another coffee. You will NOT lose out by having this flying on your application form.....Trust me!!

See Ya later, crocodile,

Pontius

NLM13
29th Jul 2001, 00:23
I agree. Any further ratings can only be good. And remember, BA aren't the only airline out there!

skysoarer
29th Jul 2001, 03:16
One point I heard was that they (as in airlines like BA) prefer zero/ab-initio people so that they can be sure that they are trained "their way". But I've yet to hear that as anything but a rumour so I'd say if you have the PPL then go for it.

Regards

SS

Cough
29th Jul 2001, 14:14
Half the people on my course had previous experience including myself - I got to 120hrs before starting. The most I saw anyone with is 150. But if you can get BA to pay for it then do so.

Captain Ratpup
29th Jul 2001, 17:13
Thanks for the feedback. People seem to agree that an IMC/Night are acceptable but would a twin rating be pushing it too far?

Regards,

Carl :cool:

Tarmach
30th Jul 2001, 13:20
Couldn't the IMC wait until you've got a little more experience flying VFR before moving on to the IMC stuff. I'm only saying this because it was suggested to me that I increase my hours to around 100 hours TT before moving on to the IMC!

Tarmach