PDA

View Full Version : NASA - Pilotless plane flies through public airspace

4EvahLearning
19th Jun 2018, 10:00
https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/nasa-flies-large-unmanned-aircraft-in-public-airspace-without-chase-plane-for-first

dcoded
19th Jun 2018, 12:42
Title should read
"Nasa - Remotely Controlled Pilotless plane flies through public airspace"

Piltdown Man
19th Jun 2018, 13:24
Four exorbitantly expensive graduates flew this missions from the ground. This is the culmination of years working on this project, a large bank of computer displays, uninterruptible and encoded satellite data channels. "We are very pleased with this outcome." said the spokeswoman from NASA. She went on: "Our next step is to try and save a fortune by having human beings fly these aircraft. We believe they will require less training, require less infrastructure, be more adaptive to the environment, give a smoother ride and be capable of dealing more quickly with any problems that may occur during flight. Unfortunately, we have so much money to spend on projects like this we are unable to envisage any time in the future when we can start planning for a manned flight."

PM

funfly
19th Jun 2018, 15:08
Our next step is to try and save a fortune by having human beings fly these aircraft. We believe they will require less training, require less infrastructure, be more adaptive to the environment, give a smoother ride and be capable of dealing more quickly with any problems that may occur during flight.

Joking of course or badly phrased?

Father Dick Byrne
19th Jun 2018, 17:06
This was done in the UK 3 years ago (I thought it was longer than that but open source material says 2015). The fact that the yanks have finally caught up really isn’t news.

llondel
19th Jun 2018, 20:18
- - until one day, when in the cruise at altitude, comes the announcement -
"Good morning. This is your Virtual Captain speaking - ing - ing - ing - ing - ing"

Hopefully by then we'll all be telecommuting anyway, so there will be virtual passengers too.

Ancient-Mariner
19th Jun 2018, 22:37
This was done in the UK 3 years ago (I thought it was longer than that but open source material says 2015). The fact that the yanks have finally caught up really isn’t news.
Maybe somewhat earlier. On 16th November 2010 I attended a symposium at BAE Systems Warton entitled, Uninhabited Air Systems (UAS) for Civil Applications. This included: The ASTRAEA Programme, Civil UAS Applications, Key UAS Technologies, including: Sense and Avoid, Weather Integration, Autonomy and Decision Making, Mission Management & Certification.

Clive.

Father Dick Byrne
20th Jun 2018, 06:25
Maybe somewhat earlier. On 16th November 2010 I attended a symposium at BAE Systems Warton entitled, Uninhabited Air Systems (UAS) for Civil Applications. This included: The ASTRAEA Programme, Civil UAS Applications, Key UAS Technologies, including: Sense and Avoid, Weather Integration, Autonomy and Decision Making, Mission Management & Certification.

Clive.
Yes, I also remember a briefing a lot earlier than 2015 but can’t find anything open source to say it was public knowledge...

Less Hair
20th Jun 2018, 07:30
The BAE flights had a monitoring test pilot on board didn't they? This time they open regular procedures for everyday drone traffic within public airspace.

Nemrytter
20th Jun 2018, 07:57
Four exorbitantly expensive graduates flew this missions from the ground.Grad students are dirt cheap. You could easily hire 4 of them for the price of 2 commercial pilots.

macdo
20th Jun 2018, 08:04
Its another step along the long path to on board pilot extinction. Next logical step will be single pilot and a co=pilot on the ground monitoring multiple flights. Thankfully I'll be long retired by then.

Father Dick Byrne
20th Jun 2018, 08:10
The BAE flights had a monitoring test pilot on board didn't they? This time they open regular procedures for everyday drone traffic within public airspace.

BAE did work with remotely operated craft with pilots on board, but I’m talking about an uninhabited aircraft. Not sure which A-M is referring to, specifically,

DaveReidUK
20th Jun 2018, 11:01

The flight being referred to wasn't one of those, but this one, which did indeed take place in 2015:

Watchkeeper Flown in UK Civil Airspace For The First Time (https://i-hls.com/archives/66181)

Good luck trying to get a monitoring pilot on board a Watchkeeper. :O

slatch
20th Jun 2018, 15:11
I seem to remember a pilotless aircraft crossing the Pacific 17 years ago
On 24 April 2001, a Global Hawk flew non-stop from Edwards in the US to RAAF Base Edinburgh (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAAF_Base_Edinburgh) in Australia, making history by being the first pilotless aircraft to cross the Pacific Ocean (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Ocean). The flight took 22 hours, and set a world record for absolute distance flown by a UAV, 13,219.86 kilometers (8,214.44 mi).[93] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northrop_Grumman_RQ-4_Global_Hawk#cite_note-aumod_20010424-93)

RAT 5
20th Jun 2018, 15:58
I could imagine the rational for oceanic cargo flights from a remote dedicated departure airfield to a remote dedicated destination being pilotless and remotely controlled. They could have dedicated routes and levels and cause no conflict with civilian traffic.

Mlambin
20th Jun 2018, 16:49
Title should read
"Nasa - Remotely Controlled Pilotless plane flies through public airspace"

I couldn't say better.

Btw it's not a news that I liked to read. It's clearly the beginning of the end. I hope I will retire before my Virtual Chief Pilot ask me to monitor screen N° 9 while he is going for a break ;-)

jugofpropwash
20th Jun 2018, 21:13
As SLF, I can see where having a system whereby the ground (or the aircraft itself) can take over in an emergency could save lives. Hijacking? Smoke in the cockpit? Decompression? I don't think a full-time system would currently be feasible (any more than it has been with automobiles), but when the choice is the computer flying the plane or the plane being totally out of control, then I'd take my chances with the computer.

ShotOne
24th Jun 2018, 14:05
"Whereby ground take over...in event of hijacking". Does it occur that such a facility could be used to commit a hijack rather than defend against?

why would we face a choice between computers and "going out of control"? Remotely piloted types currently crash far more often even than high-performance military types.

Capn Bloggs
24th Jun 2018, 15:01
My first view of this thread. Piltdown Man is da man!! :D

jugofpropwash
25th Jun 2018, 00:39
"Whereby ground take over...in event of hijacking". Does it occur that such a facility could be used to commit a hijack rather than defend against?

Because it would only be enabled when the pilots squawked an emergency code on the transponder?

ShotOne
25th Jun 2018, 06:35
? So "anti-hijack" would only function if enabled from onboard? No flaw in that plan then.

Lets assume it does work: how does it feel in the back of an airliner controlled by a ground-based aviation expert from the national aviation authority of, say Afghanistan or Western Sahara?