PDA

View Full Version : Hong Kong GFS receives pair of Airbus Helicopters H175 in public service config

chopper2004
18th Jun 2018, 15:57
Hong Kong?s Government Flying Service receive first H175s in public services configuration (http://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2018/06/hong-kong-s-government-flying-service-receive-first-h175s-in-pub.html)

cheershttps://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.gmforum.com-vbulletin/2000x1333/4e7d01a4_e165_47ab_a489_8c5ff3829fbc_3f782fef80c352362473057 71c4df3abf79c72ae.jpeg
Courtesy of Airbus Helicopters

rrekn
19th Jun 2018, 10:53
Looks fast, hope they work well for them.

Things that I'm hearing about the Oil and Gas machines however isn't as good.

Fareastdriver
19th Jun 2018, 11:39
Unless they are on a maritime SAR mission they are not going to be far from home.

gulliBell
19th Jun 2018, 14:18
They aren't a particularly attractive looking helicopter...interesting choice of "hi-viz" paint job. Not!

rrekn
19th Jun 2018, 14:27
Looks like they missed the pilots window emergency exit marking on one of them too!

homonculus
19th Jun 2018, 15:10
They are Airbus. It's an optional extra

ShyTorque
19th Jun 2018, 18:28
They aren't a particularly attractive looking helicopter...interesting choice of "hi-viz" paint job. Not!

Who said it had to be a high-viz paint job anyway? Some GFS roles definitely do not require it, in fact the very opposite.

EESDL
19th Jun 2018, 19:58
HKSAR appears to have a disproportionate maritime SAR cover responsibility so these machines will be much welcomed - albeit delayed.
True Class 1 performance finally arrives

gulliBell
19th Jun 2018, 22:29
Who said it had to be a high-viz paint job anyway? Some GFS roles definitely do not require it, in fact the very opposite.

Having spent a bit of time stooging around in the crud HK quality air, a high viz paint job would help with being visible to other traffic.

Langball
20th Jun 2018, 07:58
What is that thing that looks like stainless tubing around the read undercarriage?

Fareastdriver
20th Jun 2018, 09:12
True Class 1 performance finally arrives

They have had 332L2s for several years. The were used during the Sichuan earthquake.

stainless tubing around the read undercarriage

Flotation firing cables?

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2018, 10:16
Having spent a bit of time stooging around in the crud HK quality air, a high viz paint job would help with being visible to other traffic.

We all understand the reason for high viz paint schemes. As I said some roles of GFS mean that the last thing you would want to be flying is a highly visible helicopter. Same as the military.

gulliBell
20th Jun 2018, 10:55
Yeah, I understand that....but the clandestine cloak and dagger stuff they do is only occasional, and mostly at night, right? Anyway, they got their new ride, it's about 15 years past the accident and things seem to be ticking along nicely for them.

ShyTorque
20th Jun 2018, 11:07
Yeah, I understand that....but the clandestine cloak and dagger stuff they do is only occasional, and mostly at night, right? Anyway, they got their new ride, it's about 15 years past the accident and things seem to be ticking along nicely for them.

So what do you expect them to do - respray the aircraft for short notice night flying? You clearly don't fully understand the less publicised nature of their business.

cattletruck
20th Jun 2018, 12:02
You clearly don't fully understand the less publicised nature of their business.

I once unintentionally upset one of those on secret government business types when he tried to fly under my auto from 3000' in a jetbanger. No chance of collision though because I could see the gold in his teeth from miles away.

rrekn
20th Jun 2018, 12:02
What is that thing that looks like stainless tubing around the read undercarriage?

Hoist Cable Deflector

gulliBell
20th Jun 2018, 23:35
So what do you expect them to do - respray the aircraft for short notice night flying? You clearly don't fully understand the less publicised nature of their business.

What I'm saying is, if they were in a more visible paint job it would be easier for "see and avoid" with other traffic. If they were painted canary yellow - like many EMS/SAR or public service helicopters - it shouldn't interfere with their clandestine night stuff. Sure, Zone would always give us traffic on GFS, but heck, they were sometimes difficult to eyeball through the HK haze. Like some jungle operators who I never understood why they painted their helicopters in jungle green.

EESDL
22nd Jun 2018, 21:08
Faeeastdriver
that’s what I meant - True PC1 - the L2s struggled in those temps

Fareastdriver
23rd Jun 2018, 08:42
the L2s struggled in those temps

I flew the 332L1 in the same airspace for several years and that involved a fair amount of winching offshore. As public transport operators we had to restrict the winching AUW to HOGE OEI, That's about six people with 1,000 lbs fuel. SAR does not need those requirements. If they did then you can bin all the S92s around the coast.

A 332L will hover OGE at 20,000lbs/9,100kgs zero wind at 30 degrees because I used to do that in the Solomon Islands.

For those throwing their hands up in horror that configuration is permissible when sling loading.

snakepit
23rd Jun 2018, 16:46

Hoist wire guide to prevent it snagging on the wheel when the winching gets a bit sporty and the wire starts to get dragged aft, E.G. trawling the winchman. N.B. Educated guess