PDA

View Full Version : Britannia Flight Centre

Captain Ratpup
28th Jul 2001, 21:42
So we've heard the bad press about OBA. What's the Britannia Flight Centre like? Seeing that they're in all the aviation mags, they must be quite popular. Anyone got any experience with these guys? :confused:

Si
28th Jul 2001, 22:59
Not yey, nut I'm going for three weeks in eptember to do IMC, Night and 50hours so i'll let you know, but, wht i have heard is all good!

NLM13
29th Jul 2001, 00:13
I've also heard a lot of good stuff about the place, and I spoke to the owner the other day. He was very helpful and sent me the info I requested very promptly. Heard they had a bit of a problem with thier twin though. Not sure what the situation is now?

thecoltster
29th Jul 2001, 00:48
Great plave did the IMC night and hr build myself there about a year ago, the place wasn't busy at the time so that helped. Not comparable with 'that' school in the slightest! All the guys I'm currently studying with went there and I have heard some amazing stories! Really great bunch of guys there...enjoy. Make sure you do a trip to NASA and Orlando International though....what an experience!!

JT8
29th Jul 2001, 01:54
Went there 2 years ago, got my PPL and Night in 2 1/2 weeks, nice people, liked it a lot.

JT8 :)

Superpilot
29th Jul 2001, 02:27
All has been said: BFC and the FBO guys at Winter Haven are a real friendly bunch.

The only odd experience you will encounter is at the Doc's surgery. The nurse will ask for a urine sample and then offer to drink it :eek: and then Dr Wayne Lafferty (the FAA medical doc) will attempt to hit you with his hip-replacement!!! :eek:, before signing you off. Only in AMERICA :D

[ 28 July 2001: Message edited by: Superpilot ]

Sensible
29th Jul 2001, 02:44
The only people who speak against this school are the ones who haven't been there!!

Regards to Margaret, Eric, Jatin, George and Biggles.

767flyer
29th Jul 2001, 05:43
Here's the Britannia Flight Centre URL:
http://www.britanniaflightcentre.com

thanks
Ben

avrodamo
29th Jul 2001, 08:10
Did mine there in Oct 2000. It was great. The place is great. The instructors were great. The school or the aircraft may not look the best in the world but if i were to do it again, i would go to Britannia everytime. Hope to get back there next year for some hour building. George and Jatin have it sorted !! :D

Captain Ratpup
29th Jul 2001, 12:08
I really can't express how useful and reassuring it is to be able to ask questions to people that a) have actually been there and experienced it first-hand and b) aren't trying to sell you anything. PLUS THIS FORUM IS FREE. I'm off there in December. Any news on the twin?

Cheers for your help!

Carl

PS Apologies if I offended anyone with my previous signature in the last message. My sense of humour might not be to everyone's taste. :(

Blindside
29th Jul 2001, 14:15
I completed my PPL and night rating within 3 weeks at Britannia about a month ago.

I posted my thoughts at:
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010052

I will go back to hour build, a great place.

regards

Wee Weasley Welshman
29th Jul 2001, 15:05
I have no experience of the place.

However, over the years on this forum and in thousands of email correspondence with people starting out in flying training I have rarely heard a bad word said against Britannia compared to 'certain' schools one would choose not to mention. Caveat Emptor.

ps have you made sure that you can't do it in the UK for similar money now the sterling/dollar rate is on the floor..?

TAF Oscar
29th Jul 2001, 22:02
Did my PPL there last Oct as well (ayup Avrodamo!), and just came back yesterday from a couple of weeks refresher/hour building. If you go at this time of year be sure to get up early, spectacular thunderstorms most afternoons! It is indeed a great place, with friendly people and a fabulous atmosphere, I don't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. If you want more detail info drop me a mail.

I'd be very surprised if you could get similar rates in UK/NL, I was paying $60 an hour wet for a C172/PA28, and that's the walk-in cost (not an hour building package).

The twin is still sat on the ramp minus one engine, and doesn't look like it'll be going anywhere in the near future. You should contact BFC direct, they may have access to another one.

TRIMSHEET
29th Jul 2001, 23:53
Did my PPL last year at Britannia, and unlike everyone else I really must raise some major concerns about the state of the aircraft, i.e being told not to use the brakes on a 150 because only one side worked, and this a/c was not taken off line. The need for some MAJOR investment was very apparent and not on the horizon Mar 00. Really nice fellas with some good plans but I would talk to them before going.

notice
31st Jul 2001, 03:03
That doesn't surprise me. Britannia appeared amateurish but concluded that it might be Ok if you are one of their type of boys. I didn't feel I would fit-in and it was difficult to confirm how much it would actually cost, which is a common training trick everywhere. Crucial to know what the deal is if you have limited time and funds to spend in another country.
In fairness, it seems that different pilots swear by, or swear at, every place you can train at.

avrodamo
31st Jul 2001, 03:20
Are we talking the same Britannia ? Winterhaven Florida ? I don't feel they are playing at it. I had every confidence in them. I found everyone really professional, and they know how to put people at ease.
As for the aircraft...yes they are tatty,and some things didn't work, but it was always fairly minor, and seemed to be sorted, even it it was stripping it off another aircraft. Not the best policy i know. What you have to remember is there in the buisness of teaching people to fly, and so the aircraft are worked hard. There good and bad with every flying school. TAF OSCAR im sure would be able to tell you about problems with aircraft as i remember, but overall we would both rate it highly.
:p

TAF Oscar
31st Jul 2001, 23:16
Hear, hear. I suppose BFC could come over as "amateurish" if your expectations include starched white shirt and dark tie with associated boot camp discipline. That's up to your personal preference: give me comfort (absolutely no tie!) in the Florida heat and more relaxed, enthusiastic and mature professionals, providing a great working and learning atmosphere rather than being treated like an infant at school, any time. I can't imagine a school less like a licence factory.

I had absolutely no problem getting details of the cost up front, and unlike certain other establishments 1) no unexpected surcharges and 2) pay-as-you-go, to the point where you almost have to force them to take the money off your hands. These guys are interested in flying, flying and flying, if anything they could do with a more hard-headed commercial attitude.

Yes, the airplanes are worked hard, and yes, I can tell some tales of "interesting" experiences at Winter Haven. The sort of things that can (and do) also happen on brand new aircraft. I've learned to fly as if something will go wrong, constantly aware of how the machine is behaving and ready to deal with it, rather than that pleasant, relaxed Volvo feeling that I presume you have in a pristine aircraft. Think it can't happen to you?

The same goes for the chaotic airspace, I have been told that my lookout and circuit discipline is better than some of my European trained colleagues. The Americans may prefer "non-towered", but uncontrolled is often a far more apt description.

Bottom line is: I would go back to Britannia - and I have, and I would take my family up in a BFC aircraft - and I have. 'nuff said.

TAFO

avrodamo
1st Aug 2001, 00:19
Got the postcard TAFO. You jammy git!! All that lovely flying around in Florida for your hols. My hols have so far consisted of ATPL study days and a flight over to Wellsbourne.

TAF Oscar
1st Aug 2001, 22:34
Ahh, and it WAS lovely too, I wish you could have been there.

Not. Anyway, who's gonna have the last laugh? You're a real Wannabe while I'm just a frustrated Wannabe Wannabe - in a few years time I'll still be chuffing round the Class G in my SEP(Land) while you're up there in the ozone mixing it with the gold braid boys.

I doff my P-51 baseball cap to your dedication (respect! respect!), and that of all the real Wannabes here.

TAFO

PS - think TB will be able to find this thread if it's back at the top instead of an entire page down the list?