PDA

View Full Version : FAA Class 3 and Cancer

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Jun 2018, 09:11
Hi Ladies and Gentleman,

Just a quick question for any medical professional that could help me please.

I was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer 18 months ago, and lost my class one medical, therefore my airline career was ended and was told by the CAA I am not eligible for any class of medical under EASA. My condition is inoperable, therefore its managed with medication. At the moment, I have stability and can lead a normal life with no medication issues.

I went to the USA a month ago and had an hour with an instructor in a PA28 to rekindle some memories of flying in the 1990's, which was great fun, and the instructor said to me have you thought about trying to get an FAA class 3 medical, as I hold a FAA PPL.

Does anyone know whether or not this would be possible? Obviously I appreciate the complexities of cancer and everyones case is different, however was wondering if the FAA class 3 was a little more relaxed for private pilots with cancer who can operate 'normally'. What I would love to do is go over to the US for a little bit of fun flying and go back to my youth :-).

If anyone has any experience, or could advise me, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.

421dog
17th Jun 2018, 12:41
So that you don't have to recount your medical history publicly, (unless you want to), PM sent.

RatherBeFlying
17th Jun 2018, 15:12
The US AOPA Pilot Protection Services offer Medical and Legal support:

https://www.aopa.org/go-fly/medical-resources/health-conditions/cancer
​​​
Well worth a membership in your case

CAT3C AUTOLAND
17th Jun 2018, 19:30
Thank you guys, I appreciate the responses, 421Dog I have responded to your PM.